Chat about sharing stories with photos, videos

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2007
      Pamela McLean is leading another of our Thursday online chats at
      http://www.worknets.org/chat/ on August 2, 2007, 4:30 pm Nairobi time,
      2:30 pm London, 6:30 am California. See:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?TodaysMeeting All are welcome!

      Her topic is "using Photos and Video to share our Stories" (or as she
      says, "Evidence, Evidence, Evidence").
      We'll go through her ICT4D checklist:
      * I for Information: What is the content, experience, ideas that we wish
      to share?
      * C for Communication: Who are the people who have something to share?
      * T for Technology: What are the cameras that we are using and how do we
      upload to the Internet?
      * 4 for What for?: We're interested to post videos at YouTube from
      grass-roots projects in Africa. What other goals do we have?

      I'm very interested to work together with David Sasaki and others at
      Rising Voices. David perhaps you or Alive or Eduardo or Serina might
      lead one of our Thursday chats? or choose another day of the week? We
      generate a public archive of our transcripts:
      http://www.worknets.org/archive/

      Also, I'm writing a new proposal to create software to help those with
      marginal Internet access participate by downloading activity from their
      online community (letters, wiki page, chat archive - typically 1 MB per
      week) onto their flash drive so they could read it at home, and then
      uploading their reponses. Then the responses could be forwarded further
      by online assistants (such as Sasha Mrkailo in Serbia for whom our
      Minciu Sodas lab provides a stipend). This opens up many business
      opportunities for knowledge work that could be done by people with
      limited Internet access (for example, writing or editing Wikipedia
      articles, creating websites, collecting stories). In particular, people
      could download information about creating wireless networks. One
      strategy I'm promoting is relevant for people like Samwel Kongere who
      have to walk 5 km to get to the Internet. I encourage him to build a
      local wifi network serving his home (an access point is 100 USD) so that
      he can link up with neighbors. As he gets skilled at building out his
      network he will in two or three years make it all the way to the access
      point where he can link up with the Internet itself. In order for this
      to work they will need lots of information about wireless as it is a
      knowledge intensive skill. So the software system I am proposing should
      fuel the creation of do-it-yourself, expand-as-you-use, low capital
      wireless networks, as well as the necessary skill sets.

      Our Minciu Sodas lab is participating in the European Union's new
      thematic network for the Public Domain, COMMUNIA. We're having our
      first meeting in Torino, Italy in late September. I will be working
      especially on ethical expectations for the Public Domain. I appreciate
      discussion on this issue. The European Union might one day offer an
      alternative to the status quo in America. This is also an opportunity
      to draw attention to how we try to develop the public good with our work
      and what obstacles we face.

      +370 (699) 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania