Re: [learningfromeachother] Ebook, FF and TT

  • Maria Agnese Giraudo
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2006
      Dear Pam,
      i'm reading with great interest  what you are sending regarding telecentres and ICT. Although I need to concentrate more on these issues and I would like to spend more time on learning ICT. Could you help me  to fill my gaps (perhaps it's matter of ages!) in ICT, suggesting some basic and comprehensive web site? I'm a librarian and I need to update myself in different way than in the courses for librarian organized in Italy for us.
      Thanks
      Maria Agnese Giraudo

      Pamela McLean <pam@...> ha scritto:
      Hi Janet and everyone,

      I did as you suggested, Janet, and wrote something for the E-book. I am
      sharing it here because I think exchanging information about our
      interests and work is a good way to discover "who is who" here, within
      learning from each other. I encourage other people to share interests in
      a similar way.

      Pam

      Telecentres provide wonderful new opportunities for people to connect
      across cultural boundaries. Fantsuam Foundation (FF) Community Learning
      Centre (CLC) in rural Nigeria has been connecting with friends from
      other continents to collaborate in an innovative training programme for
      teachers.

      The programme, which has been presented twice so far, is called "TT" -
      "Teachers Talking - About ICT". It consists of:

      1.

      TT-online

      2.

      Hands-on Computers

      3.

      "NC3" - the No-Computer Computer Course.

      TT-Online is the part of TT that makes the most of the connectedness of
      telecentres. (There are many definitions of telecentres - FF CLC is a
      telecentre in that it has a VSAT and serves the local community.)
      TT-Online is collaboration "across the digital divide". It is driven by
      local needs and is enabled through interpersonal relationships that are
      only possible through the Internet. This is what happened:

      *

      Teachers came to FF CLC (which is in rural Nigeria) asking John
      Dada (the programme director) to arrange for ICT training.

      *

      John used the FF VSAT to contact his friend Pamela McLean (who
      lives in the UK, knows rural Nigeria, helps FF in various ways,
      has a background in teaching, and is a co-founder of CAWD – a
      small UK charity).

      *

      Pam agreed to design and present a course for the teachers.

      *

      Pam set up a yahoo group and invited people who she thought would
      be interested in the challenge of giving the rural teachers an
      appropriate course. Within less than three days over a dozen
      members were engaging in a lively exchange of emails. The group
      kept growing and later included about sixty members, from four
      continents.

      *

      The group members gave advice about resources and content,
      stocking a "resource cupboard" ready for the course presentation.

      *

      From Nigeria John Dada and Kazanka Comfort (who was organising
      the details) gave feedback about practicalities.

      *

      Ross Gardler, in the yahoo group, initiated a wiki to make it
      easier to find things in the "resource cupboard".

      *

      Given the level of support shown by the group Pam invited members
      to continue their involvement while she was presenting the course.

      *

      All the course participants joined the yahoo group

      *

      They were welcomed and supported by existing members.

      *

      There was a lively exchange of information back and forth
      throughout the week (details and photos
      _http://www.cawd.net/daisy/CawdNet/805.htm_.)

      In November 2006 we hope to have our second TT anniversary celebration.
      This will be funded jointly by FF and CAWD. If it follows the model of
      the first anniversary celebration then:

      *

      FF will print out letters of invitation.

      *

      The invitations will be distributed by motor-cycle, as there is no
      appropriate postal service. Distributing the invitations will take
      two days work.

      *

      Teachers who can manage to attend will meet at FF CLC.

      *

      Members of the yahoo group will be waiting online – ready for
      greetings and a lively exchange of information.

      Briefly, once again, the rural teachers will enjoy the experience of
      digital inclusion and belonging to an online community.

      Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless it explicitly states otherwise http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org Please be kind to our authors!
      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
      Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
      (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
      mailto:learningfromeachother-digest@yahoogroups.com
      mailto:learningfromeachother-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi, antispam, antivirus, POP3