Re: [learningfromeachother] EuroAfrica ICT Workshop: Deadline JULY 12th for Application

  • Prince Obiri-Mainoo
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 11, 2007
      Hello Janet,

      I managed to register two of our staff in Ghana, who are getting ready to attend on behalf of National Africa Foundation. Thank you all for the information!

      Prince

      Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:
      Dear Friends,

      Tom Ochuka has written for info and received this reply on the EuroAfrica ICT workshop, with a deadline of JULY 12th. The workshop is free, though people need to have their own transport and accommodation.

      Tom would love to go, and there may be others among us--Sam, David, others in Kenya and E Africa--who could attend as well. Only sticking pt,  as always, is funding.  Can we send a rep or two from MS and come up with a small bit of funding for transport (David and others in Nairobi won't need this, which is the good part!)? Tom, can you stay with friends, to cut down on expenses?

      Hope we can be there in some way, as this should be very helpful for our linked endeavors, esp the bridges being built between Europe and Africa...and the USA too!  Thanks and blessings, Janet

      From:Rebecca Naidoo <RNaidoo@csir. co.za>
      To:tomochuka@yahoo. com
      Subject:   Registration: EuroAfrica-ICT Workshop
      Attachments:   Template_EoI_ Kenya.ppt Template_Proposal_ Idea_Kenya. ppt Template_Open Consultation. doc
      ** High Priority **    Thank you for your interest in the EuroAfrica-ICT (START) initiative. Kindly confirm  your participation in the Awareness Workshop to be held in Nairobi at the Hilton  Hotel by return email.  This confirmation assists us in determining our numbers   in preparation for the workshop.    In order to facilitate contacts between European and sub-Saharan African organisations  interested in the development of cooperation projects in the ICT field, you are
       invited to present a Proposal Idea (10 min on an ICT project idea you or your organisation  may have) at the workshop or an Expression of Interest (10 min about your organisation,  expertise, experience, etc) .    Please visit http://www.euroafri ca-ict.org/ index.html for the PowerPoint templates  and draft agenda.  Should you require a template be emailed to you, please do not  hesitate to contact me.  The deadline for submission of your presentation will be  July 12 and should be returned to rnaidoo@csir. co.za.  Selection will be made on  a ?first come first serve? basis.    Attendance at the workshop is free and participants will need to make their own   travel and accommodation arrangements if required.  Should you wish to stay at the  Hilton hotel, a negotiated rate at US $90 has been secured for workshop participants.  Hotel details are:   Contact person: Caroline Owira  Hilton Hotel
       Mama Ngina Street;   Nairobi, Kenya 00100   Tel: +254-20-250000  Fax: +254-20-226477   E-mail: caroline.owira@ hilton.com      Website: http://www.hilton. com/en/hi/ hotels/index. jhtml?ctyhocn= NBOHIT     We also ask that you take a few minutes to complete the attached Open Consultation  questionnaire.  The purpose of this questionnaire is to take into consideration   the experience, visions and suggestions of the European and sub-Saharan African   ICT communities at large.  The input received will form part of the document EU-Africa  S&T Cooperation on ICT under FP7 - Status & Perspectives to be presented  to the European Commission as a manifest.    Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any queries,    We look forward to meeting you in Nairobi,    With thanks,    Rebecca Naidoo  Research & Development Initiatives Coordinator  Meraka
       Institute  Ph: +27-12-841 2948  Fax: +27-12-841 4720  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change  the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."                 ~Margaret Mead~

      Prince M. Obiri-Mainoo
      M. Ed. (Technology in Education)
      Executive Director

      National Africa Foundation
      http://www.nationalafricafoundation.org
      P. O. Box 30237
      Worcester, MA 01602-0237
      U. S. A.

      Tel: + 1 508-425-4614
      Fax: +1 (508) 949-3222

      E-mail: nationalafrica@...

      Your gifts and abilities could become lasting legacies for generations to come. Use them now to bless humanity!

      “Only the best is good enough for Africa” Rev. Dr. James E. Kwegyir Aggrey (1875-1927) -An eminent Ghanaian clergy, missionary, educationist and visionary!

      Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

    • Janet Feldman
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 11, 2007

        Dear Prince and All,

        Hello and wonderful to hear from you!!  That's excellent news, and do you mean for the one in Accra--taking place shortly before the one in Nairobi--or do you mean for Nairobi?  It would be great if you and Tom were to go to the same one, equally interesting if we could compare notes between regional meetings, if you go to Accra.

        In either case, I hope you have a wonderful and productive time, and that there is plenty of "LFEO"!

        Can you give us more info abt what you're doing now, and abt the National Africa Foundation?  I believe we've corresponded first after meeting at DDN, where you posted an exciting mail about an exchange program for Ghanaians wanting to study in Germany, w/scholarships available. I'm happy I could return the favor!

        All best wishes, Janet

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 12, 2007
          Dear Andrius and all ,Its indeed aprivilage tosigh
          nrew members and adddeafphotos,rhis Iwilldo at thr
          conference.
          Anybody out there help me get to theconfrence.
          Thanks
          ROM OCHUKA.

          === message truncated ===

          http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
        • Prince Obiri-Mainoo
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 12, 2007
            Hello Again, Janet and Friends:

            This is the conference in Accra, Ghana and in attendance would be two of our representatives there. I would still be in the US by then and would not be able to join them there. I hope, however, that they would be able to share their experience at the conference on this forum.

            Now on the question about what National Africa Foundation (NAF) does:

            (I hope the others might not be bored with yet another brief on this forum as I have done it before. NAF http://www.nationalafricafoundation.org is a US-based org that provides necessary service support to new African immigrants as they transition into their new way of life in the US.

            In Africa, our role has been on the provision of computing education to the youth, some of whom we had known as "truck pushers". These are street boys who earn their living by carrying loads on their backs, head and "trucks" for passengers and others moving their ware from place to place in the market places and transport stations. Mac's Vision Alliance, a youth organization I founded years ago set up a savings and credit scheme for these boys because the banks were not willing to deal with such chaps. We are planning to revive this program again as there are still very many street pushers in the urban towns of Ghana.

            Of late, NAF's has been focusing on the provision of elearning packages of some overseas universities that would help bridge the huge gap in ICT and computing education between Africa and the rest of the world.

            As a result of this shift of emphasis, I will be leaving for Ghana in early 2008 for a year or two to establish the necessary structures for the implementation of these programs.

            As at now NAF would be involved in with a couple of universities in Ghana and some others in the US, Canada and Europe. The focus of our programs would be on entrepreneurship education for the countless youth selling by the road sides and streets, the ever-growing employable graduate population and K-12 teacher training distance education.

            While in Ghana, I will continue to be in touch with our office and staff in the US and occasionally travel back and forth between the two countries.

            From:Rebecca Naidoo <RNaidoo@csir. co.za>
            To:tomochuka@yahoo. com

            E-mail: nationalafrica@ yahoo.com

[...]

            Got a little couch potato?

          • Prince Obiri-Mainoo

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 13, 2007
                Hi Tom,
                Just saw your mail about the workshop, i applied yesterday on a word doc to meet the deadline and have got a reply advising to submit a ppt, will soon do one and submit..i am selling Teachers Talking that Pam has developed and will be presenting in August for selected secondary school teachers in Kangundo District, I hope to attract more collaborators.

                I am willing to attend and present but waiting confirmation.

                Warm regards,

                David

                ____________ ___
                > > > Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel
                > > answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers -
                > > Check it out.
                > > >

                > http://answers. yahoo.com/ dir/?link= list&sid= 396545469
                > > >

                > > > Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other
                > > enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless it explicitly states
                > > otherwise http://www.ethicalp ublicdomain. org Please
                > > be kind to our authors!
                > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                today! http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7