Chat with Jeff Buderer: Open proposal for unity centers

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2007
      Hi! I invite us all to a chat led by Jeff Buderer to work on an open
      proposal for Unity Centers. We're starting today, Thursday, July 12th,
      2007 at 4:30 pm (Nairobi), 2:30 pm (London), 6:30 am (California).
      Please come to our chat page:
      And you'll find updates on our agenda here:

      Unity Centers are an idea that is central to the One Village
      Foundation's http://www.onevillagefoundation.org response to the AIDS
      challenge in Africa. We have the opportunity to rethink our villages as
      holistic places with unity centers where different dimensions converge:
      Education, Wellbeing, Governance, Economics, Technology, Culture

      Our goal for this chat is to set up wiki pages that would put down
      Jeff's proposal - and our proposals - of what a unity center in Africa
      might be so that this material is ready for all to use if they have the
      opportunity to submit a proposal for funding.

      Our last chat was a great success with about 2000 lines of chat from
      Nigeria, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, India, Italy, Taiwan, Serbia,
      Lithuania, US, Canada, UK. Here is the archive:
      I was especially happy that we could discuss with Joy Tang of Accton
      http://www.accton.com how our lab might apply ourselves and our ability
      to mobilize participants, for example, to develop software so those with
      marginal Internet access might participate with offline computers, or to
      facilitate computer assembly in Africa, or to document a pattern
      language that helps unity centers unfold. Joy gave us a list of
      projects to think about: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Accton And
      we opened up a chat room in Kiswahili! and tomorrow I will also open up
      one in Lithuanian.

      Special thank you to all of our new participants from Rising Voices!
      and I note the Rising Voices New Media Guide wiki with tutorials:

      As we chat I think that we will look for synergy amongst visions of
      "pattern languages" that we're proposing for global villages:
      - Marcin Jakubowski's Open Source Ecology is organized around farming
      and related tool creation:
      - Rick Nelson's EcoBnB is organized around a home (typically for
      diaspora returning to their homeland) that can serve as a "bed and
      breakfast" for travelers, and features the SolaRoof
      http://www.solaroof.org greenhouse technology he has invented
      - Steve Bosserman's vision of Localization centers on MicroHouses that
      can be transported as needed and organized into clusters
      - Franz Nahrada's vision of Global Villages is organized around a
      community and business center that is linked with others by means of
      video bridges. http://www.globalvillages.info
      - Lucas Gonzalez is helping us prepare for the next flu pandemic so that
      our society is more resilient both before, during and after such a
      catastrophe http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?FluPandemic
      - JamesFerguson leads our working group on Ethical Design and promotes
      ecological architecture and supportive zoning for that.
      - Nikos A Salingaros is the author of "A Theory of Architecture"
      http://www.umbau-verlag.com that advances architect Christopher
      Alexander's ideas on pattern languages
      - Christine Ax is a pioneer in the organizing of new crafts.
      - We're also inspired by Chris Messina and the hub movement.

      Please join us with your ideas and energy!
      We'll also be helping people learn how to use our wiki.

      +370 (699) 30003