Re: [learningfromeachother] New member

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006
      Thank you Benoit for your letter and the video resources you pointed us
      to. Those videos beautifully extend and explain the kind of learning
      approach that I hope we will have here. The people on the videos were
      all new to me. I enjoyed hearing what they had to say.

      I relate to the ideas on the video from my varied experiences as a
      life-long learner, a parent, a pre-school playgroup supervisor, a
      primary school teacher, an adult trainer, and a bored school pupil and
      student. I feel that all of us who have any experience of parenting, or
      of teaching young children, know that young children are brave
      self-directed learners - they are willing to learn by trial and
      improvement, unashamed of their ignorance, and endlessly learning by
      doing. People don't learn to walk or talk by attending lectures - we get
      in there and give it a go - and we don't give up or feel embarrassed
      when we fall flat on our faces - it's just part of the learning
      experience. It is easy to loose that positive attitude as we go through
      our formal education. Many adults have learnt to be more negative,
      cautious, reluctant or defensive about learning new things, making
      mistakes and showing our ignorance.

      I believe that we should not be ashamed of being ignorant if we have not
      had the opportunity to learn. Different people have different
      opportunities - and develop different areas of knowledge and ignorance.
      It is not a hierarchy where "someone who knows more" about x,y,z, is
      somehow a "better person" than "someone who knows less" about x,y,z, . I
      think we need to try to keep our childlike readiness for experiential
      learning - for practical, public, learning-by-trial-and-improvement -
      even if we do fall flat on our faces from time to time. We should expect
      it and be ready to help each other up.

      Regarding learning, the things I think we should be ashamed of are:
      1 - Being unwilling to share we do know
      2 - Being unwilling to admit what we don't know

      The second is probably worse. It can lead to being dishonest about what
      we know - pretending to know something that we don't.and then having to
      bluff. If we bluff about knowledge to someone who knows less than we do
      - we may change them from someone who knows that they need information
      to someone who is misinformed - and possibly dangerously so.

      By contrast you, and the people on the video, certainly seem to know
      what you are talking about and speak from the heart and with enthusiasm.
      I enjoyed my learning here.

      Pam
    • Benoit Couture
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006
        Pam,

        Great feedback, thank you. You inspire me to say that genuine learning feeds and feedsback from caring, until the rhythm of exchange carries each one's inner musical note into the intimate harmonies of comfort and security, guiding us through the rocky pathway that leads to the personal and communal melody at the heart of life's struggle that defeats death by its loyalty in the light.
        Let the dancing sweep us on the ground of perpetual renewal of our service to care as we need to, and as we should, could and can...

        Peace,
        Benoit