Re: [holistichelping] Chat with us about On-the-ground Projects in Africa

  • Janet Feldman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2007
      Dear Andrius, David, and All,

      Thanks for this wonderful message, Andrius, and wish I could have been at the chat, which sounds hugely successful, and bravo to all involved! I have applied to be a member of the "RisingVoices" Googlegroup, so hope to be able to cc them on these mails in future, in such a way that they will be posted to that group. Hope others here do the same!

      The number of applicants and those who have been funded for this round are indeed exciting and impressive, and there has been much interest generated via other networks of which I am a member, such as the Global Youth Coalition on HIV/AIDS (www.youthaidscoalition.org), ActALIVE (www.actalive.org), and JUMP (www.jumptochangetheworld.org).

      This work and approach are "simpatico" to my own, and that of others here: KAIPPG (www.kaippg.org), the development nonprofit in Kenya whose international branch I run in the USA, uses video to address issues related to health, agriculture and nutrition, and income-generation, as part of its program on women, agriculture, and technology.

      Women and youth are trained to make videos about their work and challenges, which are then shared with others in the communities we serve--esp via "listening groups" organized for this purpose--and we also have a series of kiosks stocked with this info, in non-wired locations.

      We are also a member of a 5-party ICTs/ODL coalition in W Kenya called GRASSUP NOW (Grassroots Socio-economic Underpinnings: Poverty alleviation, Nutrition improvements, ODL/ICTs, Women)--sponsored by The Commonwealth of Learning (www.col.org)--which uses a variety of media (both in our collective and individual work) to convey educational messages on health, environmental education, income-generation and related topics.

      I was interested to see that one proposal came from a center for persons in Kenyan addressing HIV/AIDS and disabilities: one such org in Kenya addressing same is WiRED Kenya--a branch of WiRED International--which does a lot related to health, ICTs, and people who are differently-abled (www.wiredinternational.org). Tom Ochuka of Deaf Impact Ministry, a friend and Holistic Helping member, is hoping to do something similar.

      Many members of the arts coalition, ActALIVE, also use film, video, and photography. One is iEARN Sierra Leone, home to one of the funded grant initiatives, which uses video-music-ICTs to address a range of development issues affecting youth. One ActALIVE member, linked to the Patsime Trust (an arts-for-development intiative) and SAfAIDS (www.safaids.org.zw)--a health org in Zimbabwe--submitted to the "Rising Voices" competition.

      The GYCA submitted a "Rising Voices" proposal too, and will hope to again, as many of our 3000+ youth activists use video and other media in their work. Last summer, Kenyan and American youth got together in Kenya as part of the JUMP (Juveniles Using Media Power) initiative, to make joint stories--using video, film, and podcasting--on the challenges of HIV/AIDS (every Kenyan youth affected in some way by the pandemic).

      I've also been in conversations with others on the "Rising Voices" project, and related endeavors: one such conversation (in tandem with the oneVillage Foundation, http://www.onevillagefoundation.org, a partner and MS member) involves media training for youth at the grassroots in a number of African countries, linked in part to sustainable environmental practices to address health and development, and to a Handbook co-produced by ActALIVE, called "African Youth HIV/AIDS Best Practices Handbook", with 100 practices from across Africa, some of which include use of arts and media.

      Another is linked to a film which will be released soon, called "A Grandmother's Tribe", about African (Kenyan) grandmothers caring for their HIV/AIDS-orphaned grandchildren (www.agrandmotherstribe.com). The filmmaker, Qiujing Wong, and I were brainstorming about the empowering ways in which video and related media can be used to help grandmothers and their grandchildren tell their stories for themselves, and share them with the world.

      This is a long way of saying a BIG BRAVO to David and all at "Rising Voices", and to everyone working to ensure the power of citizen-based and supported media endeavors to transform individual lives as well as life for all of us, locally and globally.

      David, there are many of us who will be eager to be involved in the "Rising Voices" project in general, not solely linked to grants. For example, I recall curriculum translations as one such idea and activity, and it would be great to explore how we might go about collaborating on that and more, within the MS groups and beyond (to GYCA, ActALIVE, and more).

      With deepest appreciation and looking forward to rising, and shining! All best wishes, Janet (Feldman, kaippg@...)