Re: video camera empowerment projects around Africa - the Nairobi/Kibera.tv exam

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2007
      [Note from Andrius as moderator: John, welcome to Learning From Each Other led by Pamela McLean, a working group of our Minciu Sodas laboratory. We're always happy to hear from a new participant. This is your first letter so we check to make sure its not spam and your future letters will go through directly. However I take this opportunity to edit your letter to ask... in the spirit of our group please focus on yourself as an "independent thinker" and what you are working on that you would like to contribute, rather than analyzing others. Also, please identify yourself with your full name so that we might hold you accountable! I look forward to your "flows" linking with ours as we "work in parallel". Andrius Kulikauskas]

      I'm new to this group, so my "flows" may not be linking well quite yet.

      Chris wrote: "I am not meaning to be rude to anyone in asking that we
      make these total assessments of why we do stuff and what outcomes
      there are."

      Perhaps not rude, but certainly cranky.

      Chris wrote: "I am a project details and transparency
      architecture/infrastructure person."

      The underlying presumption in Chris's message is that he will make
      judgments and his judgments will be harsh. The good thing is that he
      intends not to listen anyway, already having made his judgments that
      these discussions are a waste of his time. Unless, of course, someone
      writes to him and perhaps he'll feel motivated.

      I'll take Chris at his word that he doesn't mean to be rude. But in
      the interest of transparency I note that the domineering tone of his
      message does not encourage me.

      Assessments are a process of valuing. Chris is undoubtedly sure of his
      values. I'm not convinced that I share them. I believe that before
      outcomes are assessed that a process of clarifying values is in order.
      An important step will be to name some of the outcomes participants
      hope to achieve. Then plans can be set in place and experiments
      conducted. After that results can be assessed. Six weeks is not
      such a long time.
    • ms@auste.elnet.lt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2007
        Chris,

        Thank you very much both for your generous support of Samwel Kongere in Kenya
        and your personal concern for the effective application of these resources.

        Thanks to your vision, Agnese's travel to Kenya and Tanzania, and all of our
        generous investments, we now in East Africa have two video cameras - one that
        you purchased for Samwel Kongere and one belonging to our lab that is with
        Kennedy Ownio, and also four digital cameras that can do video - with Tom
        Ochuka in Kenya, Samwel Kongere in Kenya, Fred Kayiwa in Uganda, and I forget
        for whom Agnese bought the fourth camera, perhaps it is with Kennedy Owino as
        well.

        In making these purchases we were a little bit ahead of ourselves but made
        maximal opportunity of Agnese's visit and that has had notable impact on the
        ground. In particular, our Tanzanian community has gotten a great boost of
        energy from her visit with Samwel. Also, her care has made it possible for
        Kennedy Owino to travel now for six weeks to TheNetherlands and Italy. And
        all of this energy can be witnessed in the transcript of our chat last
        Thursday which was 2000 lines of chat! lasted 4 hours, and included more than
        20 people, including from Taiwan, India, Tanzania, Nigeria, Kenya, Uganda,
        Italy, UK, Serbia, Lithuania, Canada, US. I was especially happy that Joy
        Tang of Accton was able to attend and see the enormous energy that we have on
        the ground in Africa and discuss projects that we might do for Accton in the
        10,000 USD or 100,000 USD range even as we were discussing how to help Tom
        Ochuka and the deaf get more chicks, or help Fred Kayiwa's father start
        beekeeping. Note that our next chat is this coming Thursday at the same time
        (4:30 pm Nairobi/Lithuania, 2:30 pm London, 6:30 am California) and will be to
        help Jeff Buderer start an "open proposal for unity centers" at our wiki that
        we can all improve and submit as opportunities arise.

        We're making progress towards overcoming the obstacles that keep us from
        sharing photos and videos. The first step is to share photos and indeed
        Samwel Kongere uploaded one photo of Agnese from the eLearningAfrica
        conference but it was very large (as such photos are) several megabytes. So
        Sasha Mrkailo scaled it down and you can see it here:
        http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?MariaAgneseGiraudo at the bottom of the
        page. So that is the first fruits from the conference. Now I think that
        Kennedy Owino will be bringing some materials to TheNetherlands with him.

        So now we're experimenting with uploading photos and videos. What is the best
        way to do that? My suggestion is that Samwel and others try to mail CD-ROMS
        to Sasha in Serbia. He has good bandwith and can upload material to YouTube
        and our site. Meanwhile I can create a way to simplify uploading photos by
        Sasha, too, or figuring out a strategy for that. It will take a few months
        for us to figure out the whole flow and even simple issues such as how to
        upload to You Tube takes some learning.

        I did not win the Rising Voices contest. They had 140 applicants and gave
        out 5 awards. However, they do have a discussion group for the applicants
        (and perhaps others interested) and I invited them to our chat and so several
        people came and have joined our groups. Pamela alerted me that she had
        visited the Espians http://www.24weeks.com and indeed they might program some
        software we need. So I will write up our needs as I understand them,
        especially so that our Africans might make best use of their marginal
        Internet access, and that includes the ability to upload photos. Also, more
        people have been using our wiki - thank you very much to Sasha Mrkailo for
        helping us learn - and there has even been a week long training course in
        using wikis and other technologies that William Wambura and our Uyoga
        colleagues undertook last week. And they have even started to chat in
        Kiswahili and Josephat Ndibalema will lead a new working group in Kiswahili.
        So our investments this summer have already brought fruit and added momentum
        but uploading the two-minute videos is still probably a couple of months away
        because of the practical hurdles that we are working to overcome in terms of
        getting the material out of Africa.

        Chris, thank you for your letters, enthusiasm, ideas and advice. I wanted to
        be sure to respond to your important concerns. I also look forward to more
        news from our African colleagues regarding how they are using the cameras and
        how can we get the photos and videos onto the Internet?

        Data , "christopher macrae" <chris.macrae@...> Rašyta:
        >I find it difficult following the huge volumes of text that these
        yahoogroups generate to understand outcomes of particular investments (as
        well as large amounts of time spent by people in particular grassrooots
        activities) in projects. Whilst not being the brightest thinker in these
        groups, I will assume that my difficulty to map system achievements is one
        others have too. I also see people "counting chickens before they are
        hatched" (what's the local way of saying that?). And worse moving on (often
        because they have not been resourced to do and transfer peer to peer from any
        project wholly) to other farming before successful nurturing has given a
        project a sustainability for all it could have empowered and waved through
        parallel teams and communities.

        > Let's take the example of the investment in video cameras
        > -how many cameras were invested in and brought over to Kenya in the last 6
        weeks or so

        > -I realise there are many different potential uses of filming (my support
        of youtubing production projects for empowerment goals was just one) - please
        could you help make a shortlist which those who have used the cameras see as
        having actual benefits so that we who are on the other side of the world can
        understand how you see the cameras contributing to empowerment of whom or
        action learing by whom

        > -Then for each shortlist use -please lets make a communal assessment as
        the use completed a first whole cycle such as :
        > film made, seen by a specified group of people, this group learnt or did
        something new (with what benefit to whom) because of seeing the film

        > As I say, I ask this because I understand youtubing of films is only one
        of several uses. It will be valuable to understand the other uses, any
        experiential overlaps, and which uses have been prioritised as already
        resulting in a measurable success given both the time and money that goes
        into the whole process of filming

        > With regard to youtubing the success has not occurred yet and will in fact
        be very limited if what with all the people passing through Kenya in the last
        few weeks nobody has helped check that locals can actually upload onto
        youtube. This is not the fault of samuel or any local person but it does seem
        to me one of the most basic steps to have needed piloting while there were
        people in Kenya who could have either demonstrated how to do it or filed a
        report that there is some missing element of access in Kenya that makes
        direct local empowerment by youtubing impossible until this missing link is
        invested in and filled

        > I am a project details and transparency architecture/infrastructure
        person. 25 years ago my dad argued that it is project empowerment designs
        -neither the old command and control management nor the opposite extreme of
        self-organising - that will determine if we can map above zero-sum ways of
        developing life's potentials - sustain a networked www
        > http://www.normanmacrae.com/intrapreneur.html
        > http://www.normanmacrae.com/netfuture.html#Anchor-Changin-27687
        >
        > If we ignore his advice now, it will be the extreme opposite of
        interacting entrepreneurship and empowerment and sustainability. (Fine -its a
        freedom of choice as to what organsiational models you all subscribe to - but
        just don't tell me later you value such system transformations and need
        empowerment investors)

        > I am not meaning to be rude to anyone in asking that we make these total
        assessments of why we do stuff and what outcomes there are. If we do not get
        clarity of experiential outcomes here, we are in a different way as wasteful
        as all the global aid programmes we are trying to entrepreneurially replace

        > I understand not everyone reading this mail can see videos online. For the
        lucky ones who can, I believe this one is superb in asking the world to invest
        in empowerment up projects. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJUBpg2xcf4

        > Perhaps a few people who watch could write me individually
        chris.macrae@... if they agree. That would motivate me to spend about
        an hour of my time to make a written transcript of it for those who can't
        browse video. Perhaps there are also ways to search to see if Mary Robinson
        already relates to project work in Kenya and if so can we learn with/from
        some of those projects - even go film some!

        > A notable point is that my dad used to work with and share
        empowerment/entrepreneurial cases with Mary Robinson -though it was long ago
        they both learnt a lot from each other. If I can get to the stage of a local
        video on youtube that strongly represents your empowerment team's work, I can
        write to her asking her to review it. Of course, she may not reply, but
        similarly we can start writing to others - eg the Harvard/Berkman example I
        thought Andrius put a proposal into. There are reasons why timing matters. If
        for example Harvard can see that this was led out of Kenya before they even
        find attempts from other places that is a very different outcome than if
        Kenya only starts beaming up empowerment youtubes at the same time as other
        places Harvard has allocated pilot projects to. If there is anyone else
        reading this who understands marketing practices (I have 20 years of studying
        how they need to connect a lot of stuff coming together to be right time right
        place
        > http://worldclassbrands.tv ), perhaps they would like to review positively
        or negatively what I have just said so that we can get to a consensus on what
        capabilities empowerment entrepreneurs need. At a project outcome level it's
        no good being brilliant at some capabilities and not fulfiling in others. In
        communications work you are never the sum of your parts, always much more or
        much less depending on how wholly all your flows interconnect, link. Even
        though I am not an educational professional (I only worked once for 3 years
        at a University's educational department and then in computer assisted
        learning) I DO BELIEVE that the same "flow does not sum parts" pattern rule
        compounds through action learning if you reflect on the difference between
        peer to peer mentoring movements that fire up grassroots empowerment and
        those who ultimately fail to sustain another local world.

        http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/2007/05/31/rising-voices-seeks-micro-grant-proposals-for-blog-outreach/
        > http://www.newschallenge.org/winners/zuckerman
        >

        >---------------------------------
        >Which email service gives you unlimited storage?

      • samuel kongere
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2007
          Thanks Chris, Andrius, Maria and Sasha,

          I am working on the still photos and after scalling them I willl send or upload them to the wiki.
          Sam

          ms@... wrote:
[...]

          Data , "christopher macrae" Raðyta:
> [...]
          learning) I DO BELIEVE that the same "flow does not sum parts" pattern rule
          compounds through action learning if you reflect on the difference between
          peer to peer mentoring movements that fire up grassroots empowerment and
          those who ultimately fail to sustain another local world.

          > thank you
          >
          > chris macrae us tel 301 881 1655
          > http://kibera.tv http://africanidol.tv http://cidaworld.tv
          http://universityofstars.tv
          > facegroup travel guides to learning
          >
          > has anyone searched through berkman links and made a map on rising voices
          -eg

          http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/2007/05/31/rising-voices-seeks-micro-grant-proposals-for-blog-outreach/
          > http://www.newschallenge.org/winners/zuckerman
          >

          >---------------------------------
          >Which email service gives you unlimited storage?

          http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?HolisticHelping

          Please note our rule: Each letter sent to the Holistic Helping group enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless it explicitly states otherwise. Thank you! http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings: