video camera empowerment projects around Africa - the Nairobi/Kibera.tv examples

  • christopher macrae
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2007
      I find it difficult following the huge volumes of text that these yahoogroups generate to understand outcomes of particular investments (as well as large amounts of time spent by people in particular grassrooots activities) in projects. Whilst not being the brightest thinker in these groups, I will assume that my difficulty to map system achievements is one others have too.  I also see people "counting chickens before they are hatched" (what's the local way of saying that?). And worse moving on (often because they have not been resourced to do and transfer peer to peer from any project wholly) to other farming before successful nurturing has given a project a sustainability for all it could have empowered and waved through parallel teams and communities.

      Let's take the example of the investment in video cameras
      -how many cameras were invested in and brought over to Kenya in the last 6 weeks or so

      -I realise there are many different potential uses of filming (my support of youtubing production projects for empowerment goals was just one) - please could you help make a shortlist which those who have used the cameras see as having actual benefits so that we who are on the other side of the world can understand how you see the cameras contributing to empowerment of whom or action learing by whom

      -Then for each shortlist use -please lets make a communal assessment as the use completed a first whole cycle such as :
      film made, seen by a specified group of people, this group learnt or did something new (with what benefit to whom) because of seeing the film

      As I say, I ask this because I understand youtubing of films is only one of several uses. It will be valuable to understand the other uses, any experiential overlaps,  and which uses have been prioritised as already resulting in a measurable success given both the time and money that goes into the whole process of filming

      With regard to youtubing the success has not occurred yet and will in fact be very limited if what with all the people passing through Kenya in the last few weeks nobody has helped check that locals can actually upload onto youtube. This is not the fault of samuel or any local person but it does seem to me one of the most basic steps to have needed piloting while there were people in Kenya who could have either demonstrated how to do it or filed a report that there is some missing element of access in Kenya that makes direct local empowerment by youtubing impossible until this missing link is invested in and filled

      I am a project details and transparency architecture/infrastructure person. 25 years ago my dad argued that it is project empowerment designs -neither the old command and control management nor the opposite extreme of self-organising - that will determine if we can map above zero-sum ways of developing life's potentials - sustain a networked www

       If we ignore his advice now, it will be the extreme opposite of interacting entrepreneurship and empowerment and sustainability. (Fine -its a freedom of choice as to what organsiational models you all subscribe to - but just don't tell me later you value such system transformations and need empowerment investors)

        I am not meaning to be rude to anyone in asking that we make these total assessments of why we do stuff and what outcomes there are. If we do not get clarity of experiential outcomes here, we are in a different way as wasteful as all the global aid programmes we are trying to entrepreneurially replace
      I understand not everyone reading this mail can see videos online. For the lucky ones who can, I believe this one is superb in asking the world to invest in empowerment up projects. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJUBpg2xcf4

      Perhaps a few people who watch could write me individually chris.macrae@... if they agree. That would motivate me to spend about an hour of my time to make a written transcript of it for those who can't browse video. Perhaps there are also ways to search to see if Mary Robinson already relates to project work in Kenya and if so can we learn with/from some of those projects - even go film some!

      A notable point is that my dad used to work with and share empowerment/entrepreneurial cases with Mary Robinson  -though it was long ago they both learnt a lot from each other. If I can get to the stage of a local video on youtube that strongly represents your empowerment team's work, I can write to her asking her to review it. Of course, she may not reply, but similarly we can start writing to others - eg the Harvard/Berkman example I thought Andrius put a proposal into. There are reasons why timing matters. If for example Harvard can see that this was led out of Kenya before they even find attempts from other places that is a very different outcome than if Kenya only starts beaming up empowerment youtubes at the same time as other places Harvard has allocated pilot projects to. If there is anyone else reading this who understands marketing practices (I have 20 years of studying how they need to connect a lot of stuff coming together to be right time right place http://worldclassbrands.tv ), perhaps they would like to review positively or negatively what I have just said so that we can get to a consensus on what capabilities empowerment entrepreneurs need. At a project outcome level it's no good being brilliant at some capabilities and not fulfiling in others. In communications work you are never the sum of your parts, always much more or much less depending on how wholly all your flows interconnect, link. Even though I am not an educational professional (I only worked once for 3 years at a University's educational department and then in computer assisted learning) I DO BELIEVE  that the same "flow does not sum parts" pattern rule compounds through action learning if you reflect on the difference between peer to peer mentoring movements that fire up grassroots empowerment and those who ultimately fail to sustain another local world.

      thank you

      chris macrae us tel 301 881 1655
      facegroup travel guides to learning

      has anyone searched through berkman links  and made a map on rising voices -eg

      Which email service gives you unlimited storage?
    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2007
        [Note from Andrius as moderator: John, welcome to Learning From Each Other led by Pamela McLean, a working group of our Minciu Sodas laboratory. We're always happy to hear from a new participant. This is your first letter so we check to make sure its not spam and your future letters will go through directly. However I take this opportunity to edit your letter to ask... in the spirit of our group please focus on yourself as an "independent thinker" and what you are working on that you would like to contribute, rather than analyzing others. Also, please identify yourself with your full name so that we might hold you accountable! I look forward to your "flows" linking with ours as we "work in parallel". Andrius Kulikauskas]

        I'm new to this group, so my "flows" may not be linking well quite yet.

        Chris wrote: "I am not meaning to be rude to anyone in asking that we
        make these total assessments of why we do stuff and what outcomes
        there are."

        Perhaps not rude, but certainly cranky.

        Chris wrote: "I am a project details and transparency
        architecture/infrastructure person."

        The underlying presumption in Chris's message is that he will make
        judgments and his judgments will be harsh. The good thing is that he
        intends not to listen anyway, already having made his judgments that
        these discussions are a waste of his time. Unless, of course, someone
        writes to him and perhaps he'll feel motivated.

        I'll take Chris at his word that he doesn't mean to be rude. But in
        the interest of transparency I note that the domineering tone of his
        message does not encourage me.

        Assessments are a process of valuing. Chris is undoubtedly sure of his
        values. I'm not convinced that I share them. I believe that before
        outcomes are assessed that a process of clarifying values is in order.
        An important step will be to name some of the outcomes participants
        hope to achieve. Then plans can be set in place and experiments
        conducted. After that results can be assessed. Six weeks is not
        such a long time.
      • ms@auste.elnet.lt
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2007
          Chris,

          Thank you very much both for your generous support of Samwel Kongere in Kenya
          and your personal concern for the effective application of these resources.

          Thanks to your vision, Agnese's travel to Kenya and Tanzania, and all of our
          generous investments, we now in East Africa have two video cameras - one that
          you purchased for Samwel Kongere and one belonging to our lab that is with
          Kennedy Ownio, and also four digital cameras that can do video - with Tom
          Ochuka in Kenya, Samwel Kongere in Kenya, Fred Kayiwa in Uganda, and I forget
          for whom Agnese bought the fourth camera, perhaps it is with Kennedy Owino as
          well.

          In making these purchases we were a little bit ahead of ourselves but made
          maximal opportunity of Agnese's visit and that has had notable impact on the
          ground. In particular, our Tanzanian community has gotten a great boost of
          energy from her visit with Samwel. Also, her care has made it possible for
          Kennedy Owino to travel now for six weeks to TheNetherlands and Italy. And
          all of this energy can be witnessed in the transcript of our chat last
          Thursday which was 2000 lines of chat! lasted 4 hours, and included more than
          20 people, including from Taiwan, India, Tanzania, Nigeria, Kenya, Uganda,
          Italy, UK, Serbia, Lithuania, Canada, US. I was especially happy that Joy
          Tang of Accton was able to attend and see the enormous energy that we have on
          the ground in Africa and discuss projects that we might do for Accton in the
          10,000 USD or 100,000 USD range even as we were discussing how to help Tom
          Ochuka and the deaf get more chicks, or help Fred Kayiwa's father start
          beekeeping. Note that our next chat is this coming Thursday at the same time
          (4:30 pm Nairobi/Lithuania, 2:30 pm London, 6:30 am California) and will be to
          help Jeff Buderer start an "open proposal for unity centers" at our wiki that
          we can all improve and submit as opportunities arise.

          We're making progress towards overcoming the obstacles that keep us from
          sharing photos and videos. The first step is to share photos and indeed
          Samwel Kongere uploaded one photo of Agnese from the eLearningAfrica
          conference but it was very large (as such photos are) several megabytes. So
          Sasha Mrkailo scaled it down and you can see it here:
          http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?MariaAgneseGiraudo at the bottom of the
          page. So that is the first fruits from the conference. Now I think that
          Kennedy Owino will be bringing some materials to TheNetherlands with him.

          So now we're experimenting with uploading photos and videos. What is the best
          way to do that? My suggestion is that Samwel and others try to mail CD-ROMS
          to Sasha in Serbia. He has good bandwith and can upload material to YouTube
          and our site. Meanwhile I can create a way to simplify uploading photos by
          Sasha, too, or figuring out a strategy for that. It will take a few months
          for us to figure out the whole flow and even simple issues such as how to
          upload to You Tube takes some learning.

          I did not win the Rising Voices contest. They had 140 applicants and gave
          out 5 awards. However, they do have a discussion group for the applicants
          (and perhaps others interested) and I invited them to our chat and so several
          people came and have joined our groups. Pamela alerted me that she had
          visited the Espians http://www.24weeks.com and indeed they might program some
          software we need. So I will write up our needs as I understand them,
          especially so that our Africans might make best use of their marginal
          Internet access, and that includes the ability to upload photos. Also, more
          people have been using our wiki - thank you very much to Sasha Mrkailo for
          helping us learn - and there has even been a week long training course in
          using wikis and other technologies that William Wambura and our Uyoga
          colleagues undertook last week. And they have even started to chat in
          Kiswahili and Josephat Ndibalema will lead a new working group in Kiswahili.
          So our investments this summer have already brought fruit and added momentum
          but uploading the two-minute videos is still probably a couple of months away
          because of the practical hurdles that we are working to overcome in terms of
          getting the material out of Africa.

          Chris, thank you for your letters, enthusiasm, ideas and advice. I wanted to
          be sure to respond to your important concerns. I also look forward to more
          news from our African colleagues regarding how they are using the cameras and
          how can we get the photos and videos onto the Internet?

          Data , "christopher macrae" <chris.macrae@...> Rašyta:

          http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/2007/05/31/rising-voices-seeks-micro-grant-proposals-for-blog-outreach/
          > http://www.newschallenge.org/winners/zuckerman
          >

          >---------------------------------
          >Which email service gives you unlimited storage?

        • samuel kongere
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 8, 2007
            Thanks Chris, Andrius, Maria and Sasha,

            I am working on the still photos and after scalling them I willl send or upload them to the wiki.
            Sam

            ms@... wrote:
[...]

            Data , "christopher macrae" Raðyta:
> [...]
            learning) I DO BELIEVE that the same "flow does not sum parts" pattern rule
            compounds through action learning if you reflect on the difference between
            peer to peer mentoring movements that fire up grassroots empowerment and
            those who ultimately fail to sustain another local world.

            > thank you
            >
            > chris macrae us tel 301 881 1655
            > http://kibera.tv http://africanidol.tv http://cidaworld.tv
            http://universityofstars.tv
            > facegroup travel guides to learning
            >
            > has anyone searched through berkman links and made a map on rising voices
            -eg

            http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/2007/05/31/rising-voices-seeks-micro-grant-proposals-for-blog-outreach/
            > http://www.newschallenge.org/winners/zuckerman
            >

            >---------------------------------
            >Which email service gives you unlimited storage?

            http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?HolisticHelping

            Please note our rule: Each letter sent to the Holistic Helping group enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless it explicitly states otherwise. Thank you! http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings: