Chat with us about On-the-ground Projects in Africa

  • ms@auste.elnet.lt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2007
      David Sasaki and all,

      I'm very impressed by the wonderful diversity of people and projects you have
      attracted to the Rising Voices group
      http://groups.google.com/group/risingvoices?hl=en

      I invite everybody to join us for a chat at
      http://www.worknets.org/chat/
      tomorrow, Thursday, July 5, at 4:30 pm Nairobi time (which is 2:30 pm London
      and 9:30 am New York). Our topic is "On-the-ground projects in Africa" and
      their relevance for both rich countries and poor countries around the world.
      Fred Kayiwa of Uganda will lead and I will chair. This is part of a series of
      chats organized by Pamela McLean who leads our worknet on Learning From Each
      Other http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?LearningFromEachOther

      We're having good experience supporting projects of "independent thinkers"
      who might not otherwise find support. We encourage people to openly "work
      for free" on projects that they care about, and then we try to provide work
      in $100 increments. We also look for major projects for which we can
      organize momentum, such as My Food Story http://www.myfoodstory.com
      Currently, we're excited that Ken Owino of Nafsi Acrobats in Kenya will be
      traveling to TheNetherlands and Italy. We want to help him make contacts
      there and also explore computer assembly in Africa, importing flash drives,
      and building video bridges. Ken organizes street children and coaches them.
      We have recently provided our team in Kenya with video cameras and digital
      cameras.

      I have also started a wiki page
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?RisingVoices
      where we are welcome to add our proposals so that perhaps we might get help
      to make them happen. You will find my proposal there (Sharing Deepest
      Values) to organize global systems of working together for making best use of
      marginal Internet access.

      David and all, thank you for your important initiatives. I alert several of
      our lab's groups:
      which I invite us all to join. I look forward to discovering many ways of
      working together!

      Marcinkonys, Lithuania
      +370 (699) 30003
      skype:minciusodas