browsing ted's tanzania conference

  • christopher macrae
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2007
      http://blog.ted.com/ This looked like interesting news. Any way to locally follow it up to see if there are any connections

      Tanzanian President Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete took the stage with Dr. Larry Brilliant of Google.org and Bruce McNeighbor of Technoserve. Dr. Brilliant announces his support for “Believe, Begin, Become,” a national business plan competition, modeled on the successful experiment Google and Technoserve operated this past year in Ghana. He emphasizes the importance of job creation and business development as critical parts of economic development. Brilliant describes the program as “tried and tested” in Africa and Latin America, where it accompanies investment with intensive entrepreneurship training. He notes that Databank, a Ghanaian investment fund, has launched a $2 million “3B” venture fund to invest in these businesses over five years, investing between $50,000 and $150,000 in businesses that are recognized in the contest.
      Bruce McNeighbor outlines a timeframe for the project - it formally launces next week in Dar es Salaam and will start training entrepeneurs and helping them craft concepts into business plans over the next five months. At the graduation ceremony, 10 will be awarded capital, and 20 will be awarded certificates to allow entrepeneurs to purchase business services in Tanzania.
      President Kikwete acknowledges a sense of accomplishment at having an idea develop from a conversation in Davos and moving quickly to a rollout. There was some anxiety about launching an idea in January and bringing it to life in June - “I get the sense that you mean business.” “There are many people in Tanzania with entrepreneurial skills,” the President tells us. “They have some constraints. One of the major constraints is the access to capital, to technology and to skills.” The program provides opportunities to overcome all these constraints and create new and expanded enterprises. He promises that the government will do whatever it takes to make the program succeed and to allow for the growth of the Tanzanian economy.

    • Maria Agnese Giraudo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2007
        Dear Chris, Andrius and all.
        Thanks Chris for information on entrepreneurship initiatives in Tanzania . We’ll get more details from people and newspapers here.
        Regarding your  request of  our  visit of children project near   Dodoma , we have take it in serous consideration and we’ll update you soon.
        As you could see yesterday, using skype here is quite impossible. We checked many internet points and  many haven’t downloaded it, some don’t allow to  call.
        I wondering if, Andrius and Pam you know some way to connect in conference also people using mobiles. Now we go with William to meet the children football team.
        We keep in touch.
        Maria Agnese

        christopher macrae <chris.macrae@...> ha scritto:
[...]

      • kayiwa fred
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 8, 2007
          Thia is most intresting to hear in Tanzania Maria
          igues you are doing agreat job
          i guess ihave also ayoung football team am going to
          vist this wekeend
          they gave mme acall to attend thir match hope also to
          be thir patron
          Iwish William good in his endovers
          --- Maria Agnese Giraudo <mariaagnesegiraudo@...>