Maths question from Tanzania

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2006
      Ibrahim, Thank you for writing to our GlobalVillages working group! It's
      always exciting to get a letter from Tanzania. I share with our
      LearningFromEachOther working group (because we're interested to respond
      to such questions) and also our Cyfranogi working group (because it
      relates to how we think about money). You may first wonder how I am able
      to edit your incoming letter! We check the first letter that comes to
      each group to make sure that the author is a real participant, not a
      spammer. Then we change the settings so that in the future your letters
      go straight through. I will take the opportunity to answer your
      question. The trick is that the tip is part of what was spent and is not
      extra! So they each paid 9,000 and that equals the 2,000 tip and the
      25,000 meal. So you should subtract the tip rather than add the tip.
      Yes, the customers have spent the money, which means they don't have it,
      and the waiter and the cashier have got the money. The story conf uses
      who had what when - the customers had the money before they spent it -
      but the waiter and cashier ended up with that money. So it's not correct
      to add the customers' money and the waiter's money. It's the same money
      but at different times. Andrius Kulikauskas, http://www.ms.lt
      --------------------------------
      Forgive me for wrong posting but this is a challenge that we(over
      20people) were not able to agree on and i would like to have some help
      from the group.
      Its a maths challenge, seem easy but difficult.This is a scenario
      3people went to a resuarant and had a meal, a bill of 30,000 was
      presented by the waiter to which they all contributed 10,000 each.
      the casher told the waiter that the customers were over billed and took
      25,000 and asked the waiter to return 5000.the waiter brought back 5000
      to the customers who gave 2000 to the waiter as a tip and shared the
      remaining 3000 equaly.
      At the end, each customer has spent 9000(10,000 minus the 1000 returned)
      now 9000 for each customer makes a total of 27,000 and if we add the tip
      2000 is 29,000.
      there is 1000 unaccounted for, where could it be? or is it a fault in maths?

      Regards
      ibrahim

      Each letter sent to globalvillages@yahoogroups.com enters the PUBLIC
      DOMAIN whenever it does not state otherwise.
      http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org