RE: [learningfromeachother] The Soul Beat Extra: Edutainment September 6 2006

  • Janet Feldman
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2006
      Hello Dear Pam and All,

      Fantastic!! I do get Soul Beat mailings, which I pass along to my arts
      listserv and use extensively. However, I saw this issue here first (funny,
      I haven't gotten it yet, maybe because you're 8 hrs ahead of my
      timezone)...so you'll always be doing me a favor if you post it! And am
      sure others will enjoy it and find the info valuable...lots of excellent
      educational entertainment.

      Thanks so much for thinking of me, and here's to learning how to put an
      extra bit of soul into all of our social changes! May we always Beat
      together as one! Janet (ps I think the way you shared this is definitely
      the best way to do it!)

      September 6 2006

      > Janet and everyone.
      >
      > This is another of my "Please will someone teach me the best way to
      > share information?" emails.
      >
      > Given this is about edutainment and Africa I think it may be onf
      > interest to Janet - who of course may already know about it...
      > It may be of interest to others in the group - I don't know because (as
      > far as I know) we haven't yet got an easy system to check each others
      > interests.
      > Anyhow -
      >
      > "For people using edutainment for social change..." please see email below
      > Pam

      http://www.comminit.com/africa/evaluations/evaluations2006/evaluations-265.h
      tml

      > 4. Laphum'Ilanga Theatre Project - South Africa
      > This project uses women's stories about rape and HIV to help other women
      > who are going through similar experiences. The sharing of stories and
      > experiences is done through a series of arts-based theatre workshops and
      > interactive community performances�
      > http://www.comminit.com/africa/experiences/Pds62006/experiences-3849.html
      >

      > 5. Positive Women: Access to Care and Treatment Theatre Campaign �
      Zimbabwe
      > This theatre project aims to promote gender equality and advocate for
      > improvements in the availability and accessibility of care and treatment
      > services by resource-poor HIV positive women. This is achieved in part
      > by creating community awareness through theatre performances about the
      > gender discrimination that affects access to treatment for many rural
      > women...
      > http://www.comminit.com/africa/experiences/Pds72006/experiences-3862.html
      >

      > 6. Stories that Talk The Heartlines Read-Aloud Story Book
      > The book contains a collection of 10 read-aloud stories which highlight
      > values such as forgiveness, acceptance, self control, hope and honesty.
      > It is written to be read aloud to young children aged three to eight
      > years and is based on the fact that thinking through values helps young
      > people to make decisions about their health, their friendships and even
      > their sexuality in a way that will protect them rather than place them
      > at risk...
      > http://www.comminit.com/africa/materials/ma2006/materials-2972.html
      >

      > ***
      >
      > CALL FOR POETRY ON HUMAN TRAFFICKING
      > Agenda is calling for poetry contributions that explore the crime of
      > human trafficking, especially those affecting women and girl-children.
      > About 300,000 African women are trafficked every year.
      > Contributions will be considered for publication in issue 60 of Agenda
      > with the working title "Human Trafficking".
      >
      > To send your submissions and for more information contact Kristin
      > Palitza - editor@....
      >
      > Deadline: 5 October 2006
      >

      > ***
      >

      > 7. A Staged Model of Communication Effects: Evidence from an
      > Entertainment-Education Radio Soap Opera in Tanzania
      > This study develops a theoretical model of health communication through
      > an analysis of the impacts of an entertainment-education radio soap
      > opera on family planning practices in Tanzania. The authors synthesise a
      > "staged mode" of health communication effects by drawing on existing
      > theories of behaviour change: the hierarchy-of-effects (HOE) model; the
      > stages-of-change (SOC) model, social learning theory, and the diffusion
      > of innovations (DOI)...

      http://www.comminit.com/africa/evaluations/evaluations2006/evaluations-301.h
      tml

      http://www.comminit.com/africa/events_calendar/2006-events/events-4546.html

      http://www.comminit.com/africa/awards2006/scholarships2006/awards-1489.html

      > ***
      >
      > For more information see the:
      > Focus on Community Radio Window
      > http://www.comminit.com/africa/community-radio/
      >
      > Focus on Edutainment Window
      > http://www.comminit.com/africa/edutainmentwindow/
      >

      > ***
      >
      > THE SOUL BEAT ARCHIVES To view archived editions of The Soul Beat
      > Newsletter see http://www.comminit.com/africa/soul-beat-archives.html
      >

      > ***
      >
      > If you have received this from another source, and would like to
      > subscribe to The Soul Beat and SBA Extra: Edutainment, please visit
      > http://www.comminit.com/africa/soul-beat-subscribe.html or e-mail
      > Seipati at sfountain@...
      >

      > ***
      >

      > The Soul Beat is a partnership between:
      >
      > Soul City and its partners - The Royal Netherlands Embassy, Development
      > Cooperation Ireland, European Union, DFID, and BP
      > and The Communication Initiative Partnership - ANDI, BBC World Service
      > Trust, Bernard van Leer Foundation, Calandria, CFSC Consortium, The
      > Change Project, CIDA, DFID, FAO, Fundacion Nuevo Periodismo, Ford
      > Foundation, Healthlink Worldwide, Inter-American Development Bank, Johns
      > Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Center for Communication
      > Programs, MISA, OneWorld, PAHO, The Panos Institute, The Rockefeller
      > Foundation, SAfAIDS, Sesame Workshop, Soul City, UNAIDS, UNDP, UNICEF,
      > USAID, WHO, W.K. Kellogg Foundation.
      >

      > The Soul Beat seeks to cover the full range of communication for
      > development activities. Inclusion of an item does not imply endorsement
      > or support by The Partners.
      >
      > Please send material for The Soul Beat to the Editor - Anja Venth
      > aventh@...
      >

      > Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN
      unless it explicitly states otherwise http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org
      Please be kind to our authors!