Re: Chris Macrae meet David Mutua

  • David mutua
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2007
      Thanks Pam'

      Dear Chris,
      I am Kenyan by birth, living in Nairobi but with a
      passion of making a difference in the rural areas, may
      be its because have spent some years there, I was born
      in Nairobi but later moved to a rural community where
      i schooled from primary upto secondary level thus
      12yrs.

      My passsion is how ICT's can be a tool to make life in
      the rural communities better through access to
      sustainable and globally competitve human capacity
      building initiatives (access to quality education and
      training), timely and relevant information and
      economic empowernment projects.

      I also have interest in volunteering for development..

      Pam and I met several years ago in Nigeria when i had
      just been recruited as a VSO volunteer placed at the
      local organisation that she was supporting, since then
      we have worked together in different projects in
      Nigeria and now are working on replicating some of
      these in Kenya.

      It will be my pleasure to know you better and your
      interests..

      Regards,

      David

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2007

        Hi David:

        I too was born in Kenya as was my father. He was born in Eldoret and I in Nairobi where I grew up. We are Indians in ancestry. I have spent most of my adult life outside Kenya – visiting every 2-3 years or so. I now live in the USA .

        We have a train dedicated to our services that we use to go to the rural areas and we provide Health Education (it’s done yearly by the local hospitals) and general education (provided by UoN). We are interested in Malaria studies and Health Care. We would also like to set up internet services to hubs that are not more than 300 Kms away. This will be part of a grant. The grant will also set up telemedicine centers and improve local hospitals to have e-medicine capabilities. This is a multi-year project. Right now the grant is with UoN waiting for completion – I completed my part and the budget. (UoN – University of Nairobi – School of Medicine ). – waiting for their section to be completed – and yes – they are slow. We already got the Provosts approval letter. They just need to add their section. I am hoping we can exchange some practical ideas and get this to fruition.

        Take Care.

        --- Pamela McLean <pam@...> wrote:

        > Chris and David I think you should know each other
        > better.
        >
        > Chris I have mentioned David to you offlist. He is a
        > member of this
        > group but not able to read all the emails because
        > funds are limited and
        > therefore time online is similarly limited. However
        > I think it would be
        > useful for you two to chat a bit to discover
        > overlapping interests -
        > and for other people to get to know David better as
        > well.
        >
        > David I encourage you to write something here of
        > what you are trying to
        > do - and who else you link with in this network.
        > People here are interested in what is happening in
        > Kenya
        - and here in
        > Andrius' lab people care about what you are trying
        > to do and how they
        > can help and encourage you. Please use this space
        > to "think out loud" .
        >
        > Pam

        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail. yahoo.com

      • David mutua
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2007
          Hi Asif,
          I am glad to hear from you, know you have roots in Kenya (Pam mentioned in one of our meetings) and the great work you are doing here...this is inline with my interests and work i am doing in a rural community 70 Kilometer from Nairobi, this is the same community where my Father comes from, where i schooled (Primary and Secondary), Asif, i did my first degree in India, an Indian family friend working with my late Dad then, in Marshals East Africa the Tata and Volvo trucks section invited me to do my studies in India.
          I have initiated a project, setting up a Community Learning, Information and Communication Center in this community, we've had initial support from Voluntary services overseas (VSO -a british voluntary organisation), I volunteered with VSO for two years in Nigeria, now am back in Kenya, have been able to convince VSO through Global Education and Advocacy Programme to support my dream for the rural communities thus sharing my experiences learned when i was out there...
          I have also applied for the Commonwealth of Learning (COL) protein funding for a teacher talking ICT training project, this replicates from the work Pam and I did in Nigeria, the funding is in its last stages, we are starting this month.

          In my community people walk or ride a car about 10 kilometers to go to the nearest hospital, last time i was there a neighbour woke me up at 2pm, the son had died of food poisoning  and was looking for a car to take the body to the mortuary, i did that and felt very bad because they couldn't have saved the boys life, no clinics or doctors around.
          Now we have started the campaign for a community clinic, we have land and community contribution is been able to build the foundation for the buildings, i have involved some of the committee members in some training on project management, resource mobilisation and record keeping through the ICT center though we are yet to get internet connection in the center.

          We hope the center will be the coordinating point for projects, networks and collaborations.

          Asif, we are ready for collaborations to make a change in this community, we hope to replicate to other places as CAWD efforts have been replicated in Kenya.

          Lets brainstorm,

          regards,

          David

          --- Pamela McLean <pam@...> wrote:

          > Chris and David I think you should know each other
          > better.
          >
          > Chris I have mentioned David to you offlist. He is a
          > member of this
          > group but not able to read all the emails because
          > funds are limited and
          > therefore time online is similarly limited. However
          > I think it would be
          > useful for you two to chat a bit to discover
          > overlapping interests -
          > and for other people to get to know David better as
          > well.
          >
          > David I encourage you to write something here of
          > what you are trying to
          > do - and who else you link with in this network.
          > People here are interested in what is happening in
          > Kenya - and here in
          > Andrius' lab people care about what you are trying
          > to do and how they
          > can help and encourage you. Please use this space
          > to "think out loud" .
          >
          > Pam

          Do You Yahoo!?
          http://mail. yahoo.com

          David N. Mutua
          CAWD Regional Coordinator/ Returned VSO Volunteer,
          ICT4D and Education Consultant.
          Tel: +254 720 462 559
          E-mail: david@... or davenzainga@...
          Websites: http://www.cawd.info

          Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

        • samuel kongere
          Message 4 of 8 , May 4, 2007
            Asif

            I still admire your interests and hope you keep us Up dated. I know David Mutua as a friend and partner in ICT. I met them with Derrick Odemba at the Africa source II In Uganda and since then we are having the same focus in using Information Communication Technology for Development (CT4D) our focus is the rural Kenya and internet connection can eanhance telemedicine reporting.

            I can share my technology hub reference to adventure.The only practical solution to Kenya’s Economic, social and rural technology is improving education structure and elevate it to one that shall impart practical, research based survival skills which may not be provided by the government, but a role to be played by NGOs and CBOS.  This project aims to form a resource center server/terminal for marginalized communities living in Lake Victoria region of Nyanza Province , and involve in coordinating the services of Udogo to various parts of the country as a gateway to the planned resource centers in the other regions in the country.  Some of the projects already in operation include PLWHAS inventory cataloging, community empowerment in malaria control through Christian children Fund Rusinga Island ( Kenya ) community Malaria Surveillance Team (MSTs), Arts and crafts production and community literacy knowledge finding.  The challenge faced in these programmes is that of implementing ICT component a way to bridge the digital divides.  Udogo is extending the ICT aided education to all and across borders of our district Suba.  A central resource centers can be in Mbita.  This centre will take the role of coordinating all resource centers , through this innovative.

             I hope it will of interset to you and if you succeed in getting the fund, we can explore the focus together.
            Sam.

            --- Pamela McLean <pam@...> wrote:

            > Chris and David I think you should know each other
            > better.
            >
            > Chris I have mentioned David to you offlist. He is a
            > member of this
            > group but not able to read all the emails because
            > funds are limited and
            > therefore time online is similarly limited. However
            > I think it would be
            > useful for you two to chat a bit to discover
            > overlapping interests -
            > and for other people to get to know David better as
            > well.
            >
            > David I encourage you to write something here of
            > what you are trying to
            > do - and who else you link with in this network.
            > People here are interested in what is happening in
            > Kenya - and here in
            > Andrius' lab people care about what you are trying
            > to do and how they
            > can help and encourage you. Please use this space
            > to "think out loud" .
            >
            > Pam

            Do You Yahoo!?
            http://mail. yahoo.com

            Samwel Okech kongere
            Nyamuga primary school
            P.O BOX 191,
            MBITA  040305-KENYA.
            Cell: +254 725 600 439
            FOSS ADMIRER
            Community Development

            Never miss an email again!
            Yahoo! Toolbar

          • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2007

              Samwel:

              Great to hear from you. What form of telemedicine are you planning on using? The bottleneck is the connectivity, isn’t it? Yes, I see you have done a lot of cataloging in Malaria. Have you done cataloging in the disease process? Have the teams you talk about that find bottlenecks in internet connectivity thought about using Wi-Max? It works over 300 Kms. Why did you chose Mbita as a centre? I believe you are right in having a centre in rural Kenya , I assume preferably near Lake Victoria just for co-ordinating these services. For the funding I will let my colleague in the School of Medicine at UoN know of your interests and expertise in Malaria. That will be very useful. Take Care.

              --- Pamela McLean <pam@...> wrote:

              > Chris and David I think you should know each other
              > better.
              >
              > Chris I have mentioned David to you offlist. He is a
              > member of this
              > group but not able to read all the emails because
              > funds are limited and
              > therefore time online is similarly limited. However
              > I think it would be
              > useful for you two to chat a bit to discover
              > overlapping interests -
              > and for other people to get to know David better as
              > well.
              >
              > David I encourage you to write something here of
              > what you are trying to
              > do - and who else you link with in this network.
              > People here are interested in what is happening in
              > Kenya - and here in
              > Andrius' lab people care about what you are trying
              > to do and how they
              > can help and encourage you. Please use this space
              > to "think out loud" .
              >
              > Pam

              Do You Yahoo!?
              http://mail. yahoo.com

              Samwel Okech kongere

              Nyamuga primary school

              P.O BOX 191 ,

              MBITA  040305-KENYA.

              Cell: +254 725 600 439

              FOSS ADMIRER

              Community Development

              Never miss an email again!
              Yahoo! Toolbar

            • Prince Obiri-Mainoo

                --- Pamela McLean <pam@...> wrote:

                > Chris and David I think you should know each other
                > better.
                >
                > Chris I have mentioned David to you offlist. He is a
                > member of this
                > group but not able to read all the emails because
                > funds are limited and
                > therefore time online is similarly limited. However
                > I think it would be
                > useful for you two to chat a bit to discover
                > overlapping interests -
                > and for other people to get to know David better as
                > well.
                >
                > David I encourage you to write something here of
                > what you are trying to
                > do - and who else you link with in this network.
                > People here are interested in what is happening in
                > Kenya - and here in
                > Andrius' lab people care about what you are trying
                > to do and how they
                > can help and encourage you. Please use this space
                > to "think out loud" .
                >
                > Pam

                Do You Yahoo!?
                http://mail. yahoo.com

                Samwel Okech kongere
                Nyamuga primary school
                P.O BOX 191,
                MBITA  040305-KENYA.
                Cell: +254 725 600 439
                FOSS ADMIRER
                Community Development

                Never miss an email again!
                Yahoo! Toolbar

                Prince M. Obiri-Mainoo
                M. Ed. (Technology in Education)
                Executive Director

                National Africa Foundation
                http://www.nationalafricafoundation.org
                P. O. Box 30237
                Worcester, MA 01602-0237
                U. S. A.

                Tel/Fax: +1 (508) 949-3222

                E-mail: nationalafrica@...

                Your gifts and abilities could become lasting legacies for generations to come. Use them now to bless humanity!

                “Only the best is good enough for Africa” Rev. Dr. James E. Kwegyir Aggrey (1875-1927) -An eminent Ghanaian clergy, missionary, educationist and visionary!

                Message 7 of 8 , May 4, 2007

                  I worked with him with the World Bank on the Diaspora planning with Prince – he is very knowledgeable:

                  http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/diaspora/artikel.php?ID=122612

                  http://www.trainerspod.com/info