Peter Burgess - meet REIWA and also Asif

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2007
      (was Re: [mendenyo] which of clintons hundreds of African Initiatives
      are best at empowering up?) -

      Hi Peter - this reply was written some time back but vanished into my
      drafts folder - it was intended for the list - it is too late for that
      now - but I do want you to join the Webinars so am just sending it
      personally, slightly updated.

      You have been in my thoughts recently - but my actions are lagging way
      behind my thoughts. Your posting mentioning that you are "aiming to
      build a solid portfolio of community initiatives around Africa" has
      triggered a little action ;-)

      I have been meaning to put you in touch with Caroline Ifeka and her NGO
      "REIWA" - Rural Empowerment Initiative In West Africa. www.reiwa-ng.org
      I was with her recently in River State where she is doing a project
      funded by the Australian High Commission. She made some passing comment
      about the funders positive response at discovering how far she made the
      money stretch. Given your interest in budgets and accountability I
      thought you might like more details and told her so. She's happy to give
      you more information.

      As well as financial accountability I have been thinking of you in
      connection with malaria - which has been mentioned on mendenyo and which
      I know is another strong interest of yours.

      I want to invite/persuade you to share your interests more widely
      through one or more Webinars using Elluminate. Asif Daya from
      Trainerspod has offered us the opportunity to invite people we know to
      present Webinars and I am hoping you might be interested (Please see
      Google for more info on Elluminate and Trainerspod and/or contact me on
      or offlist and I'll explain more). John Dada is already involved, and
      Prof Dick Heller, who is leader of our Health group.

      I'm involved too and have had a couple of goes at Webinars. I am
      enthusiastic about the potential of the technology and its ease of use.
      Trainerspod takes care of the techie admin side of things - and you can
      join in from home/work with your normal laptop or whatever. The
      participants can be anyone anywhere who has an Internet connection (with
      sound card) - even if its just a dial up connection. Asif gives the
      leader(s) a practice session first to get used to the feel of the things
      - and there are some good demos on the Elluminate site as well. You
      might like to check it out on May 3rd when Dick Hellar will be
      giving one (from the UK) - with contributions from John Dada at Fantsuam.

      Andrius is going to "chair" a number of Webinars - which is a way to get
      involved without having to lead a session and prepare a full
      presentation. These Webinars will be lively and interactive - inclusive,
      reaching across normal cultural barriers As we get increasingly
      competent regarding the dynamics of this kind of presentation/meeting we
      will become more confident at inviting distinguished guests to attend.
      Ultimately I think top policy makers and funding agencies etc should be
      coming to our Webinars to discover what is really the situation in
      rural Africa and elsewhere. I see it as a real chance to link top down
      and bottom up and to get more transparency and effective well informed
      action. (No more excuses for "top people" to stay in their little
      cliques / big conferences / city compounds failing to communicate with
      the people who are at the grassroots). Webinars can enable decision
      makers to learn about issues from the people who are experts because
      they are living the reality of the problems. That's my vision for it
      anyhow. I hope you will be able to get involved.

      Pam

    • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2007
        Pamela:

        As you may know my interest in the health care division is Malaria - so if
        you have any information on the ground about this esp. in Kenya, I would
        appreciate it. I know Samwel works in that area and I will involve him in
        the Malaria grant I am applying for.

        You indicated below "top policy makers and funding agencies etc should be
        coming to our Webinars to discover what is really the situation in rural
        Africa and elsewhere." - I totally agree with you on this. This is one of
        the key ways we will get exposure and hopefully get funded. I don't think
        our work is recognized beyond our circles as much as it should be. Andrius
        has a useful network of people and the things that they do and that should
        be commended. You have your network of people and have worked a lot locally
        and through the webinar there. That should be recognized as very relevant
        work. So, I am hoping we can get the right people to visit the Webinars and
        learn what is it that we are doing or plan to do.

        Peter Burgess wrote:
> [...]
        >
        > Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the
        > answer. Try it now

        <http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTEydmViNG02BF9TAzIxMTQ3MTcxOTAEc2VjA
        21haWwEc2xrA3RhZ2xpbmU>.

        > --
        > ____________
        > Peter Burgess
        > The Transparency and Accountability Network: Tr-Ac-Net in New York
        > www.tr-ac-net. org <http://www.tr-ac-net.org>
        > IMMC - The Integrated Malaria Management Consortium Inc.
        > www.IMMConsortium. org <http://www.IMMConsortium.org>
        > 212 772 6918 peterbnyc@gmail. com <mailto:peterbnyc@...>
        > Print on demand books: http://www.lulu. com <http://www.lulu.com>
        > Search: Peter Burgess
        > "Hundreds of Issues that Impact Relief and Development Performance"
        > "Revolutionary Change for Relief and Development"
        > "Iraq - A New Direction - A Strategy for Peace"

        Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless
        it explicitly states otherwise http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org Please be
        kind to our authors!
        Yahoo! Groups Links