Tom's concern with deafness

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2007
      "Tom's concern with deafness." - was Re: [holistichelping] Africa
      Webinar, Our Resources and Our Endeavors

      Please be aware that I have two contacts in Nigeria with similar concerns.

      One runs a "school for the handicapped" in Okeho. He has pupils with
      various disabilities, but his personal special interest is with pupils
      who are deaf.

      The other is a primary school teacher in Sake. He is very keen to teach
      parents and other teachers about sign language. From what he has told me
      I think he feels that once people understand that there are ways to
      communicate with deaf people, then parents will be more open about
      having such problems in their families. As a result the hopes that the
      children who are deaf will get a better chance of being included and
      educated.

      Deaf people are marginalised.

      There is a deaf man in Ago-Are. I am ashamed to admit that twice he has
      come asking for money when I have been out in the evening with friends
      and both times I was so confused by what happened that I gave him nothing.

      This is what happened. We were chatting and relaxing, and enjoying cold
      drinks out side the shop that sells them, sitting on plastic chairs, in
      the darkness of the evening.

      I noticed someone getting up from the floor near our chairs, and
      walking away. Someone said to me by way of explanation " He is deaf".
      Then I realised what must have happened - which I had not really noticed
      - because of the darkness and our lively conversation.

      The man had come towards us to beg, and had prostrated himself - ie - he
      had lain down flat in the dust near our feet. I didn't notice if anyone
      else gave him anything. I only noticed him as he was getting up. I was
      completely shocked to realise the significance of this man having put
      himself down so low on the ground. I told myself that if ever it
      happened again I should be sure to have some appropriate money to hand,
      as it would be terrible to appear to react again as if he was invisible.
      To my shame on a subsequent visit to Ago-Are the same thing happened
      again - and once again I was completely taken by surprise - and failed
      to respond.

      Regarding my contacts - I cannot put these teachers of the deaf in
      direct contact with Tom because they do not have any access to the
      Internet - but they are part of my network - and I feel they would
      benefit from the encouragement and support of knowing others involved in
      similar work and learning from each other. This failure to make the
      connection represents part of the problem I have of being an
      "information bottleneck" instead of an "information channel".

      Pam