Wikis - authorship, accountability and "the hive mind".

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2006
      **Anyone who is interested in the development of collective
      intelligence, the use of wikis, the Internet etc, is likely to find the
      essay ** // below worth reading.

      I share the concerns expressed regarding the importance of authors
      taking responsibility and being easily identified. In my opinion there
      has to be "a someone" (or in some cases a small group of people)- an
      editor, a group leader, some real named person who is ultimately
      accountable for the accuracy and "slant" of what is published - and it
      should be obvious to readers who that accountable person (or group) is.
      Pam
      //
      *DIGITAL MAOISM:
      The Hazards of the New Online Collectivism* /[5.30.06]/
      By Jaron Lanier

      /The hive mind is for the most part stupid and boring. Why pay attention
      to it?/

      /The problem is in the way the Wikipedia has come to be regarded and
      used; how it's been elevated to such importance so quickly. And that is
      part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism
      that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective
      is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a
      bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and
      force. This is different from representative democracy, or meritocracy.
      This idea has had dreadful consequences when thrust upon us from the
      extreme Right or the extreme Left in various historical periods. The
      fact that it's now being re-introduced today by prominent technologists
      and futurists, people who in many cases I know and like, doesn't make it
      any less dangerous./

      **

      * An /Edge/ Original Essay *

      For the full essay see