Organizing around Joy Tang of Accton and One Village Foundation

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2007
      I am very happy to invite us to consider how our Minciu Sodas laboratory
      might organize around Joy Tang to advance her work as Vice President of
      Marketing at Accton http://www.accton.com and also further her vision as
      founder of One Village Foundation http://www.onevillagefoundation.org

      Joy Tang, Jeff Buderer and I have been communicating about the role that
      our Minciu Sodas laboratory might play in research and development,
      especially as organizers on-the-ground in Africa and online as well.
      We're considering how we might apply our organizational strategies as we
      have with MyFoodStory.

      Joy joined Accton in February, 2007. Accton is a global corporation
      with headquarters in Taiwan. It started in 1988 as a creator of
      Token-Ring and Ethernet products. It currently has 1,000 engineers and
      is a leader in the design of Application-specific integrated circuits
      (ASIC), high performance chassis switches (for telecommunications), and
      Internet integration and applications. Accton has grown to own 2
      brandings: SMC and Edge Core to sell networking products worldwide. SMC
      is an established brand in North America focusing on Small Office Home
      Office (SOHO). Edge Core is a young brand focusing on the enterprise
      solutions and now operates in Brazil, China, India and Russia. Accton
      is beta testing a Wi-Fi phone and is active in WiMAX technologies.

      Joy is working with leaders at Accton to encourage flexible, dynamic
      thinking throughout the company. They appreciate her dedication to
      emerging markets, both as markets for community infrastructure and as
      catalysts for global innovation. They seek to link with her vision of
      unity centers as she has developed through One Village Foundation and
      its business dimension OneVillage.biz I am thinking what our approaches
      at Minciu Sodas might contribute.

      Since 2003, Joy Tang has been a great inspiration at our Minciu Sodas
      laboratory. She has:
      * challenged us to respond to the HIV/AIDS epidemic that is raging
      against children, women and men in Africa;
      * presented this global catastrophe as an opportunity to rethink what
      villages can mean for us;
      * championed the idea of "unity centers" where education, wellness,
      governance, economy, ecology, culture are always relevant;
      * appreciated the enormous human resources that might fuel a better life
      through community-oriented business.
      Our work with Jeff Buderer, Janet Feldman, Samwel Kongere, Rick Nelson
      and Pamela McLean all grew out of Joy's impact on our concerns and the
      people she has brought together, directly or indirectly.

      Kafui Prebbie of One Village Ghana is leading the creation of their
      first Open Digital Village http://blog.onevillage.tv/wp/?p=214 that
      provides wireless Internet access at the University of Education Winneba
      Ghana. One Village is developing a model for replication from village
      to village. Joy is also interested to foster associated business models
      http://www.onevillage.biz

      Joy is exploring the opportunities of empowering the social networks by
      increasing "contribution edge" to create new markets together. She is
      providing alternatives to the attitude of "competition edge" which
      defeats the logic that the marketing is "emerging".

      Minciu Sodas is able to reach out and include individuals who might
      benefit from these opportunities and share them with others. We are
      skilled at discovering and encouraging "independent thinkers" and
      learning to "meet each other halfway" in our personal projects.

      We can encourage innovation as to how the (wireless Internet) Skype
      phones might work in the widest variety of situations. We can help
      organize the associated community and business opportunities in setting
      up wireless Internet access, providing computers, assembling them,
      maintaining them, customizing them, and applying them locally, across
      Africa and around the world. We are able to bring out the relevance of
      people far away and build connections, including with the 1,000
      engineers who work at Accton. We can set up community-strengthening
      alternatives to traditional networks for sales and technical support.
      Also, I and others might possibly travel with Joy to Africa, India or
      Taiwan to learn from each other how we can best work together.

      I emphasize that at this point these are simply discussions. However,
      I believe that by "thinking out loud" about them we might find a way for
      them to become real. I think it also helps us learn to place ourselves
      with One Village and other networks that Joy is engaging. I am glad
      that this approach fits with her vision at Accton. I will also look for
      related opportunities.

      We invite discussion especially at Jeff Buderer's worknet Back To The
      Root ("being connected to ourselves")
      our ideas at all of our groups.

      Joy is interested that we map out our network, especially in Africa, and
      how we might apply ourselves. I will be working on that and asking for
      our help. I will also write a business proposal to Accton.

      Joy, Thank you for this opportunity! and for including us in your
      progress towards your vision!

      Direktorius
      skype: minciusodas
    • christopher macrae
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26, 2007
        Excellent mail which I imagine has both deep connects within and potential connections across.

        Across:  I would like to explore whether it is practical to imagine any connection with the 100$ laptop. I am very impressed by the collaboration zeal and grassroots rising intent that Negroponte is building including the laptop wiki with 1000 contributors. His ted talk and some other top links (so far known to me) appear here http://up200.tv/_wsn/page14.html

        some particular questions for mentioning this now:
        I'd really love to see some Lab people who are developing mobile computer hubs for youth in africa linked in to the laptop's early experiments if they'll sell 10 laptops for total $1000 to a lab-connected group that wants to experiment with them, then I would commit the $1000; however the laptop claims it will only main African starting places will be Nigeria and Libya unless special interest is shown from specific grassrots groups; moreover the manufacturer that will be making tens of millions of this laptop is in Taiwan;

        any linking gambits come to mind anyone? or is this laptop the wrong way forward- love to hear views!

        chris macrae

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/backtother oot/ (send a blank message to
        our ideas at all of our groups.

        Joy is interested that we map out our network, especially in Africa, and
        how we might apply ourselves. I will be working on that and asking for
        our help. I will also write a business proposal to Accton.

        Joy, Thank you for this opportunity! and for including us in your
        progress towards your vision!

        Direktorius
        Minciu Sodas
        http://www.ms. lt
        ms@...
        skype: minciusodas

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 27, 2007
          Was Re: [mendenyo] Organizing around Joy Tang of Accton and One Village
          Foundation

          christopher macrae wrote:
          > I'd really love to see some Lab people who are developing mobile
          > computer hubs for youth in africa linked in to the laptop's early
          > experiments if they'll sell 10 laptops for total $1000 to a
          > lab-connected group that wants to experiment with them, then I would
          > commit the $1000;...only main African starting places will be Nigeria
          > and ... any linking gambits come to mind anyone? or is this laptop the
          > wrong way forward- love to hear views!

          Chris that would be an interesting opportunity if you could make it happen.

          I can help you link to a Nigerian group - my suggestion is the Teachers
          Talking Action Group at Fantsuam. I can give you further details on why
          they might be appropriate and I can help with arrangements to enable
          their involvement.

          I confess that I am not convinced that the OLPC initiative is the best
          way forward - but if the Nigerian government is investing in that
          initiative then I feel we should do what we can to help develop good
          practice.

          It would be wonderful if we could involve the rural teachers at Fantsuam
          in exploring the potential of these computers. When I started to train
          rural teachers about ICT one reason I called the programme "Teachers
          Talking" was because I hoped to find amongst the teachers some high
          flying "talking teachers" who, once they understood about ICT, would be
          able to enter into informed debate with policy makers and developers.
          This would be an exciting first step in that direction.

          If the teachers have these laptops in their hands then we can discover
          what the laptops can do and what they can't do and how they can be most
          useful. Ideally there will be links with the developers who will be
          ready to be informed by the experiences, concerns and suggestions of the
          Action Group members.

          Pam
        • christopher macrae
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 27, 2007
            Pamela

            -can you clarify: what is it that you think I need to do? and what is it that others need to do?

            -from my point of view, if someone in Nigeria with a bank account who is 100% committed to trying to do this can be identified, then I will pledge to transfer the $1000 from my usa account

            -however, I am not saying that I believe the laptop route is the best way to bridge digital divides and empower community-up unless a local group are convinced they want to try a lead project out of it; I myself have no connections with the people at MIT but I believe over time we all need to -either to find ways to collaborate in winning with what they are doing or to show that other ways are needed to; I am actually even more excited by the potential transformation potential of  another MIT person Iqbal Quadir does because without him there would be no Grameen Mobile and without Grameen Mobile microcredit in Bangladesh would never have got such deep pockets

            what does seem clear is that the laptop project is the life's work of Negropente and that he more than anyone else founded the whole of the media MIT networks

            again for people who have time to study what I believe are the key opinion leading movements that need exploring

            video talk by Negroponte on 100$ laptop is  http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/41
            video talk on how grameen mobile empowered rural is http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/79

            the MIT media network largely founded by Negroponte is http://www.media.mit.edu/
            the developemt entrepreneur network of Iqbal Quadir is

            your views from deep experiences in Africa are needed to decide whether any of the above suggests an opportunity to become a local benchmark for these world experiments

            Again I wish to reiterate I am one of the elast competenet people on this listing in terms of specifically appraising what technology is suitable at grassroots level

            http://africanidol.tv

            ___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it now. http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30, 2007
              christopher macrae wrote:
              > Pamela
              >
              > -can you clarify: what is it that you think I need to do? and what is
              > it that others need to do?
              Let's exchange some more information to clarify your interests and
              objectives and explore areas of overlap.

              > -from my point of view, if someone in Nigeria with a bank account who
              > is 100% committed to trying to do this can be identified, then I will
              > pledge to transfer the $1000 from my usa account
              $1,000 is a lot of money. Let's be clear about what you want to do.

              In your original email I thought you had closer connections with OLPC
              and would actually be able to get hold of the laptops. I could help you
              to get money into an appropriate account for something you wanted to do
              , but I have no idea how easy/difficult it would be to actually exchange
              $1,000 for any OLPC laptops in Nigeria and I would not even want to
              start to try.
              > -however, I am not saying that I believe the laptop route is the best
              > way to bridge digital divides and empower community-up unless a local
              > group are convinced they want to try a lead project out of it; I
              > myself have no connections with the people at MIT but I believe over
              > time we all need to -either to find ways to collaborate in winning
              > with what they are doing or to show that other ways are needed to; I
              > am actually even more excited by the potential transformation
              > potential of another MIT person Iqbal Quadir does because without him
              > there would be no Grameen Mobile and without Grameen Mobile
              > microcredit in Bangladesh would never have got such deep pockets
              So let us explore more widely for a while.....

              > what does seem clear is that the laptop project is the life's work of
              > Negropente and that he more than anyone else founded the whole of the
              > media MIT networks
              I feel more interested in the media MIT networks than the laptop in
              particular.

              > again for people who have time to study what I believe are the key
              > opinion leading movements that need exploring
              >
              > video talk by Negroponte on 100$ laptop is http://www.ted. com/index.
              > php/talks/ view/id/41 <http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/41>
              Interesting. First time I've heard/seen Negroponte speak. It made me
              feel much more sympathetic towards the OLPC initiative - but it didn't
              make me feel much more positive about it. It seems far too "top down". I
              agree with what he says about young children learning to walk and talk
              through exploration - and then having to change to "being taught" when
              they are at school. I have had children of my own, I ran a pre-school
              play group for several years, I was also an infant teacher for years. I
              trained at the time when we were expected to make exactly those points
              in essays we wrote on topics like "The child is the agent of his own
              learning". I agree with his description of the "problem" - but I'm not
              convinced by his "solution" - even though it might be appropriate in
              somewhere like USA.

              I also share his enthusiasm about the potential of ICT in education, the
              need to make it more widely available, and how it might transform
              educational opportunity in places like Nigeria. I came to ICT through
              studies with the Open University. I got interested in how computers
              process information because I was studying how children think and make
              decisions and solve problems. I became intrigued by the way that things
              like decision making processes and information handling were tackled in
              organisations and the role of computers and computing. I bought a 32K
              "microcomputer" soon after they arrived on the scene and started to
              explore the potential overlap between the roles of teachers and
              computers and how this could affect the roles and relationships of
              teachers and learners. I explored it in theory and in practice in my own
              infant classroom. I was a great fan of Seymour Pappert's work -
              joining the queue for his book Mindstorms - Children, Computers and
              Powerful Ideas when it first came out, and managing to attend a
              demonstration of one the very earliest floor turtles. I feel that I do
              understand where Negroponte is coming from and that we are probably in
              broad agreement regarding education and learning.

              However I don't feel that what he is doing has any real relevance to
              the teachers and schools that I know in Nigeria -and I thought they were
              supposed to be part of the group of beneficiaries. The whole OLPC idea
              seems isolated from any input regarding their needs and realities.

              I literally gasped in horror at his comment that the laptops would be
              distributed by the federal government "like text books". That is
              exactly one of my fears. USA models don't necessarily match the way
              things are done in Nigeria. The schools I know don't get many books at
              all - and certainly not from federal government. Recently , when free
              text books were distributed by government to some pupils in Nigeria, as
              a vote getting ploy in the run up to the recent election, it made the
              national TV news. The distribution was hardly impressive. It looked like
              a school prize giving ceremony. Individual children were coming forward
              to be handed a slim volume each. A headmaster who I was speaking to a
              couple of days later was totally exasperated by his own time- wasting
              unsuccessful efforts to get his hands on any of these much-publicised
              books for the pupils at this own school. I don't have any particularly
              strong feeling for or against the OLPC initiative for itself. I just
              hate the hype which suggests that the kind of schools I know will benefit.
              > video talk on how grameen mobile empowered rural is http://www.ted.
              > com/index. php/talks/ view/id/79
              > <http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/79>
              What a contrast! That man knows absolutely what he is talking about on a
              local level. He knows the realities of the people he is concerned for
              and their real needs and daily lives. His solution is tailored to local
              realities, a small adaptation of what already works - a logical.
              presumably sustainable, well-informed creative idea. Phone kiosks are
              all over the place in Nigeria - and even people without kiosks offer a
              similar service. Fantsuam Foundation is involved in a pilot project
              where women are trained to run mobile phone kiosk businesses. Kazanka
              Comfort of Fantsuam Foundation was telling me about the successes,
              failures and problems - how hard it was for the women to understand and
              take advantage of different pricing structures etc. As a visitor I see
              dramatic changes in phone use every time I visit now - and it is
              possible to keep in touch from the UK.

              > the MIT media network largely founded by Negroponte is
              > http://www.media. mit.edu/ <http://www.media.mit.edu/>
              > the laptop wiki is http://wiki. laptop.org/ go/Main_Page
              > <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Main_Page>
              > the developemt entrepreneur network of Iqbal Quadir is
              The five principles made on the wiki seem once again to illustrate an
              educational "heart in the right place" but a lack of cultural sensitivity.
              I won't address the cultural issues now.

              The wiki does say something I completely agree with ref "The child...
              not just a passive consumer of knowledge but an active participant in a
              learning community." That is a wonderful expression. I have been an
              "active participant in a whole collection of learning communities", ever
              since I first turned to the Internet to help me learn more about ICT4D
              and related development issues. I believe this is one of the key ideas
              behind the power of the Internet - so much so that the Teachers Talking
              programme has a TT-Online element which is specifically intended to
              give the course participants this experience. Their first experience of
              using the Internet is not "using Google" or some-such. Instead they log
              on and experience joining a small friendly scattered community, with
              members thousands of miles away from Africa. The members of the
              community have been looking forward to meeting and helping the TT
              participants, and give them a genuinely warm welcome to the Internet. I
              believe that giving teachers a vision for active participation in
              learning communities is tremendously important. It can alter their own
              attitudes and expectations regarding life long learning - for themselves
              and for others. I believe it can foster an attitude that says it is
              worth asking questions because it is possible, with ICT, to "rub minds"
              and find answers. I believe in learning by doing, and exploration, and
              self directed learning - but personally I'd rather start from the
              bottom up, by doing things like helping teachers access the Internet and
              get the support they need, than via OLPC.

              > your views from deep experiences in Africa are needed to decide
              > whether any of the above suggests an opportunity to become a local
              > benchmark for these world experiments
              I wouldn't claim "deep experiences in Africa" - but I know enough to be
              link in the chain of communication - to a certain extent I can see
              things from both sides - and I do want to help the people who really
              know rural education (people like the Teachers Talking Action Group) to
              have an opportunity to influence policy makers and decision takers.

              > Again I wish to reiterate I am one of the elast competenet people on
              > this listing in terms of specifically appraising what technology is
              > suitable at grassroots level
              Ah - but you care to find out - and, while bringing your own knowledge
              and expertise, you know what it is that you don't know - and you share that.
              This sharing of what we don't know is exactly the point that Andrius was
              making at his Webinar last week - the importance of our questions to
              bring us together, and to guide us in our endeavours. I think perhaps
              OLPC is getting "the right answer" but, from my viewpoint, it is the
              answer to slightly the wrong question.

              Pam
            • samuel kongere
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2007
                Hi All,

                I always love the Idea of One lap top for a child and linking these lap tops to us is fine.
                I see these laptops as cheaper compared to what we spend here on laptops. If One laptop can go for 100$, this will help us more access to technology and information.

                I love the Idea for the growing African child.
                Sam

                Samwel Okech kongere
                Nyamuga primary school
                P.O BOX 191,