Re: [mendenyo] Malaria Awareness Day

  • samuel kongere
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2007

      Hi Peter,

      I agree with you dearly. The effect of Malaria control and even the Africa Malaria day is not in minds of many of our people and this is due to the lack of the grassroot approach the organizations do. When implementing projects they come with high profiled students who are not able to help the community but to earn money and go back to present papers and graduate. The community in the long run will say,those are MALARIA people not knowing it is benefiting them.

      We have to do Malaria control projects with community people and community leaders and if they don't accept leave them alone. If the community accept their situation, it is easy help them. We should not involve students too much in helping the community.Why? because they will be earning while the community are told to work voluntarily, It is a mistake which do not help the ideas in controlling malaria. Like our governments will wait for NGO'S funds to organize Africa Malaria Day, How are we working but malaria is still the number one killer disease.

      On the report read by our Health minister Malaria is killing 30,000 children every year and they keep on distributing nets which cannot help.Our reports here show mosquitos biting people even before they go to sleep and doing Vector control management is the most effective way to eliminate the mosquitos. How can we keep on reading Statistics on deaths and distribute nets to people while this not protecting them against Malaria?

      Accountability to funds and community efforts will help combat Malaria with dedicated approach. We should instead fund community based orgs to employ the researchers not the Vis-visa as they will participate fully.

      More later

      Samwel Okech kongere
      Nyamuga primary school
      P.O BOX 191,