Re: [learningfromeachother] Andrius and Paolo chat about Learning From Each Other

  • Ramunas Janavicius
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30 10:53 PM
      Dear Pamela and Paolo,

      i think that recently published book would be in content of new education structures in far more broader sense: THE ECOLOGY OF LEARNING: SUSTAINABILITY, LIFELONG LEARNING AND EVERYDAY LIFE , by John Blewitt, 2006, Sept., Earthscan
      I strongly believe that new, "open source thinking" is emerging
      form environmentalist perspective, what was already highlighted by Manuel Castells (Information Age trilogy) and Fritjof Capra (Web of Life).

      Regards,

      Ramunas
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      2006/8/30, Paolo Pumilia <paolo.pumilia@...>:
      On Saturday 26 August 2006 01:54, Pamela McLean wrote:
      > (...)
      > There are benefits in working in new ground. It seems to me that in any
      > area where there is already a well established educational system, there
      > will inevitably be structures and systems designed for the industrial
      > society - not for the information society of the 21st century.  If the
      > structures and systems - the buildings, the roles, the thinking, and the
      > individual and group ways of behaving, have all taken their shape from
      > 19th and 20th century norms, then the potential of ICT will probably be
      > something of an "add on" - rather than being the catalyst - the main
      > force driving developments and structures. By contrast in areas where
      > 19th and 20th century educational systems are less well established (as
      > in rural Nigeria) new approaches to education, enabled through ICT,
      > could develop with greater freedom, in a more organic way (once the ICT
      > infrastructure breaks through.)

      Dear Pamela, i agree with you that  the rise of a new educational system needs
      new structures and that surely building on new ground offers  certain
      advantages over striving to  trasform a well established system.  Probably
      peculiar suggestions towards a new educational system will come from both
      contexts.

      Although  'open content' has no broadly accepted definition and  being not so
      deeply studied yet, as the open source counterpart,  in my opinion, some
      important organizational traits leading to successful open source projects
      could be transferred to the educational context. Open content projects, as
      thereafter outlined, could strongly support the innovation of the educational
      system.

      Paralleling the open source phenomenon, here is my view:
      Key concepts of open content successful project are
         - re-usability of 'objects', both on the technical and the law sides
      (the 'commons')
         - the peculiar community that forms and thrives in the commons, aimed at
      delivering and using a well defined 'product'.

      In such kind of communities  solid and trusted connections are maintained
      between the 'project leaders' and the end-users through a consistent
      population of effective contributors, thus enpowering end-users to drive the
      project development  ('shifting the locus of innovation towards users', after
      Von Hippel)
      However, project leaders are those in charge for success of the project
      (effectivess,   long term planning, 'quality', etc).
      Out of project leader role features is the ability to understand, to feel,
      what is a real need in a professional sector, and to see how to provide an
      effective answer. That is the first step to start a successful project.

      Coming to the educational environment, my opinion is that open content project
      proposers should, at first stage, spend time to clear up which teachers' and
      students' real needs they intend to meet, before taking to forge manuals,
      lectures,  'knowledge objects', etc.
      In that process, directions for the rearrangement of the school/univ
      organization will be envisaged, together with the elaboration and the
      manifacturing of 'products'.
      As the project succeeds, an 'open community' will form, providing their
      incentive for the change of structures.

      >(...)
      > Discussion of the development of our group knowledge brings us back once
      > again to  Open Content.  I think of Open Content as a continuum.  At one
      > extreme is the kind of Open Content made available by MIT, which means
      > all of us are all free to read course materials that previously were
      > only available to registered MIT students.  At the other extreme we have
      > free flowing discussions such as the ones that Andrius is enabling
      > through his groups.  He has brought us, and others, into groups on the
      > Internet to share ideas in an Open Content way.

      Yes, i  agree with your view, by and large. I have to admit i do not know much
      of the Andrius' experimentation on free flowing discussion (although we have
      known each other over years).

      --
      Paolo

      Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless it explicitly states otherwise http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org  Please be kind to our authors!