E-Learning Conference Workshop: An African/European Research Initiative on Technology for Learning

  • Janet Feldman
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18 3:42 PM

      Hello Dear All,

      Delighted to hear from Sam, Tom, Asif, and Maria Agnese, and about Sam's "definite" on attendance!!  Tom and Asif, I will surely try to be helpful to you re connecting with an organizer to find out the status of your application.  I will respond separately to your other mails soon!

      Sam, I can't thank you enough for your kind and inspirational letter to Andrius, myself, and Maria today. YOU are an inspiration and role model for us all, and it's amazing how much you have accomplished this past year, and we along with you!!

      For now, below is an example of the kind of workshop being given at the conference, and also how we might link Europe and Africa together. This project seems geared towards the "academic", ie researchers in universities and the like. But there is so much we can offer in terms of research at the grassroots (on malaria, bird flu, food, and much more)--based on experience and practice--that I think it would be worth it to contact Kaleidoscope (a European research network, see below) at some point to explore this with them.

      Pam, CAWDnet and "Teachers Talking" would seem especially pertinent!

      Look forward to exploring this and so much more, and perhaps we can collectively look at the program of the conference to see what workshops and events might best benefit us--individually and collectively-- re our attendance.  All best wishes and "e"-ffections, Janet

      Title of Workshop:

      An African/European Research Initiative on Technology for Learning

      Workshop Leaders:

      Content:

      The question of how to use technology to enhance learning is being debated and discussed by all countries around the world. Whereas African countries may have entered the debate relatively recently, mobile and handheld technologies have the potential to enhance learning in Africa in ways that are different from what has been envisaged in Europe. To support technology for learning in Africa it is important to build an appropriate research base that has been generated by African research projects as well as being informed by worldwide research.

      This workshop will centre around discussion of an online research resource which aims to:

      • inform technology enhanced learning policies and practices within African countries
      • contribute to the development of the international field
      • foster collaboration between research in Africa and Europe
      • facilitate access to open resources of all kinds

      The initiative is an extension of Kaleidoscope, a European research network which is shaping the evolution of technology enhanced learning (http://www.noe-kaleidoscope.org/pub/).

      Participants at the workshop will be invited to offer suggestions for extending and contributing to the kalafrica on-line resource, and in particular to the shaping of an intranet which will: provide a forum for Phd students and their supervisors; provide support for the development of funded research projects; and provide support for publishing in peer-review journal.

      The workshop will consist of: an introductory presentation of the on-line resource from the perspective of researchers and research students; structured discussion of ways of extending and developing the resource; synthesis and ways forward.

      Target Audience:

      Research students and researchers who are actively engaged in African technology enhanced learning projects.

      Prerequisite Knowledge:

      Experience of research in the area of technology and learning.

      Outcomes:

      At the end of the workshop:

      1. participants will have an understanding of the potential of the on-line resource for supporting their own research and
      2. the workshop organisers will have feedback that will contribute to the ongoing development of the resource.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 18 5:09 PM
        Hi Janet

        Quick response to your email ref e-learning conference workshop. As a
        rule I only do online meetings/discussions or F2F meetings that are
        local and free, so I won't be at the conference. I don't usually
        consider going to any conferences because I simply don't have the time
        or the money. It's a simple once-for-all decision that saves me a lot
        of decision making and angst ;-)

        I agree with you that it is probably rather academic - so not really for
        me anyhow. However having said that I agree that sometimes it would be
        good to be involved in things that increase links with the academic
        community - and I do try from time to time get involved in initiatives
        that cross the practitioner/researcher divide. If anyone comes across
        anyone (at this conference or elsewhere) who'd be interested in research
        relating to Cawdnet or Teachers Talking I'd be happy to make contact and
        perhaps collaborate. I'm not interested in working with "Hit-and-Run"
        researchers (a term I learnt during a practitioner/researcher workshop)
        - but I am interested in win-win collaborations. Hope that doesn't sound
        too cynical - it's simply practical and realistic ;-)

        Pam

        Janet Feldman wrote:

> [...]
        > publishing in peer-review journal.
        >
        > The workshop will consist of: an introductory presentation of the
        > on-line resource from the perspective of researchers and research
        > students; structured discussion of ways of extending and developing
        > the resource; synthesis and ways forward.
        >

        > *Target Audience:*
        >

        > Research students and researchers who are actively engaged in African
        > technology enhanced learning projects.
        >

        > *Prerequisite Knowledge:*
        >

        > Experience of research in the area of technology and learning.
        >
        > *Outcomes:*
        >

        > At the end of the workshop:
        >
        > 1. participants will have an understanding of the potential of the
        > on-line resource for supporting their own research and
        > 2. the workshop organisers will have feedback that will contribute
        > to the ongoing development of the resource.

      • samuel kongere
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 19 4:32 AM

          Know something,

          Community resource network project in Rusinga Island- aims to investigate the extent of interest and activity in the use of ICT, and to open up discussion and stimulate action research in this and find out if our community could inherit the new invented information technology in the isolated areas.

          The project’s aims and objectives are long term in collaboration between  NGOs organization in Rusinga Island , a scientific center in Suba District and Malaria Surveillance team members who were to be trained on ways of using computers to enter data. The first trainer’s work in various areas of adult learning, including community education, and further training on the media handling policies. Each of them is interested in developing their own ICT skills, and introducing ICT in their own community working practices while doing social work.

          Despite initial feelings from some of the community members that there is threat, that would not derive any benefit from the integration of ICT into their media understanding and handling, the result could be seen after only a few months (eight)- it shows that many interested people of all ages become more motivated and more confident with their own understanding of information technology. ICT is not suggested as a substitute for paper and pencil exercises, but as an additional resource to allow people understand to develop their own information skills.

          As this imaginative project is picking up with efforts from collaborators, friends of Udogo- Mendenyo, social networks with Miniciu Sodas (a think tank for independent thinkers); the community members have decided that it would be useful to further develop some of the ideas and products of information initiated by the action teams; Malaria Surveillance Team and Technology information team coordinated by Samwel Kongere and make this available for the people such as youths, women and children throughout the District. We need more learning resources and this is the main problem, we are coming up against volunteers who don’t give up their time, lack of sufficient ICT materials for taking learning lessons, we have to invent different approaches to tackle the digital gap which still face the community and engage many who are willing to take up media as their form of correspondence.
          Samwel.

          Samwel Okech kongere
          Nyamuga primary school
          P.O BOX 191,