Re: [globalvillages] Re: Video bridges

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2007
      I haven't been able to follow all the discussion on video bridges - but
      feel there is overlap with some other things that I am more in deeply
      involved with. I am therefore sharing information on the other things
      for anyone who may want to join up the dots. Perhaps there are areas for
      closer collaboration.

      I look at ICT projects under three general headings -
      Information (the content),
      Communication (the "people with a purpose" - who need to communicate
      with each other)
      Technology (not just the hardware - but everything relating to getting
      it working and keeping it working)

      The content and "people with a purpose" are all connected in some way
      with community development projects in Africa - mainly, but not
      exclusively, in rural Nigeria.

      For now I simply want to describe some Technology that we are using,
      within a couple of our project areas (related to education and to
      health) which probably overlaps some Video bridge ideas and approaches.

      It is Elluminate (Google it for more details). We were introduced to
      Elluminate through Trainerspod (Google it for more details) and their
      Webinars. We found that the technology was attractive and comparatively
      easy to use. We are now exploring the free version of Elluminate called
      VRoom (details on their website). So far on the Nigerian side we have
      been limited because we have not been able to join in with sound input -
      only keyboard input (but that seemed to be because of an old mic giving
      fuzzy sound rather than any limitation of the software).

      Most recently we joined in a Webinar during the Teachers Talking course
      at Fantsuam. The theme was "Collaboration" The TT participants were most
      impressed by the experience - both for the novelty of being involved in
      such a live event taking place in USA - and for the relevance of the
      content. Participants were impressed by the way that the difficulties
      described in the USA were relevant to their own situations and
      feelings. Some participants had never touched a computer until the
      previous day - so the Webinar experience was a tremendous eye-opener to
      the potential of ICT for new kinds of educational experiences.

      In addition to linking with Projects on the ground in Nigeria (and
      elsewhere) I am starting to make contacts with some schools back here in
      the UK - hoping to help to link them all up (to learn from each other
      etc). I am hoping that Vroom (or similar) will help me to keep the
      schools interested and updated without involving me in travelling for
      F2F meetings every time.