Re: [globalvillages] Re: My Business Vision for Minciu Sodas

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 16, 2007
      Hi Synnove

      I am recently back from Nigeria - and dipping into some of the emails
      I've missed - I can't catch up on them all.

      Your suggestion of video making is most welcome. It is such an
      information-rich way to communicate. Also video is a much more "natural"
      medium than email etc to use in Nigeria - and elsewhere in Africa - as
      many people are unaccustomed to using the written word to communicate.
      It has the additional benefit of cutting through so many of the
      "English as a first language" and other communication barriers too and
      can be so beautifully inclusive.

      If you want to set up any video work related to school or community
      projects let me know and I will put you in touch with appropriate people
      and help in any way I can.

      Pam

      synnovenature wrote:

      > Hi !!
      >
      > I have experience teaching film making to childs, and thru
      > Ecosynergy Art, we have an european grant to start to develop one of
      > our programs in that theme.
      >
      > Some years ago I did a project in Candeal and Villa salvador where
      > we teach kids how to use a camera, and to film, results were amazing
      > a great experience and two of them currently have a grant to study
      > cinema in US universities (UCLA).
      >
      > The idea is to give all opportunities, since to teach how to use a
      > camera to open TV and film word.
      >
      > Edward, we can talk about it :o)
      >
      > Synnöve
      >
      > --- In globalvillages@ yahoogroups. com
      > <mailto:globalvillages%40yahoogroups.com>, "Edward Cherlin"
      > <echerlin@.. .> wrote:
      > >
      > > On 3/23/07, synnovenature <synnovenature@ ...> wrote:
      > > > Hi Edward and all,
      > > >
      > > > I'm very interesting in that idea of a program of docs.
      > Currently I
      > > > have contact with some of the most important TV channels in
      > europe as
      > > > well as production companies, so maybe we can talk.
      > >
      > > Thank you.
      > >
      > > I forgot to mention that another important part of the program is
      > > teaching the children who get the OLPC XO laptops to make movies,
      > > starting with the built-in webcams on the laptops, and moving up
      > > wherever we can find the combination of talent and a business
      > > opportunity to pay for equipment. I don't know whether you are
      > aware
      > > of Kids with Cameras, which does some of this on a very small
      > scale.
      > > With the XO, we are starting with at least six million children in
      > the
      > > next year.
      > >
      > > When we can get enough people interested in going to Africa and
      > Latin
      > > America, and enough people who know how to create learning
      > materials
      > > for the children, we should be able to get some XO laptops to build
      > > the program with. I know of several foundations that should be
      > > interested in funding such a program, and I have no doubt that we
      > can
      > > find more. Adfter a time, the program should be self-sustaining
      > > through business deals with promising children.
      > >
      > > We want to teach all the children to record their own cultures and
      > > their communities' oral histories. Then we want to encourage some
      > of
      > > the children to prepare for professional careers, and help them get
      > > started.
      > >
      > > > Synnöve

    • samuel kongere
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2007
        Hello Dear Friends,

        Most people have spent their productive working life wearing shoes that don't fit and trying to make do with them for the rest of their lives, going in the direction dictated by others. The right career guidance will ensure that the community will make choices that make their hearts sing. The inner empowerment curriculum is crucial because this is an aspect that is not adequately addressed in schools, universities and the corporate world. Once the independent thinkers become life changers then they will have that inner empowerment, their potential is unleashed and that has a positive effect on our society.

        Happy moments as the going is smooth and focused. I have to say I will be attending the e-learning conference in May together with Maria hopefully, up to now I have not received the Bursary feedback but Katharina promised to communicate after the committee meeting which is to take place anytime in April.

        I am very grateful to see Janet is back and Andrius is also back in Lithuania. I owe both Janet and Andrius the clamor of negotiating my connections and exposure as we all agreed in 2004 after the first World's Aids Marathon Held in Mbita. I was by then the chairman of the Organizing committee but became very disappointed that Mbita is not featuring even when the second AIDS marathon was held. This is not the case but Janet and Andrius has made me whole and I have to work hard to go on connecting people to Miniciu Sodas Laboratory for independent thinkers.

        I thank you Janet for connecting me with Chris, When I was attending the World Social Forum in Nairobi and we are destined to work with Chris and everybody. Andrius did a wonderful connection and this made my connection to Maria who is now my Partner in connecting Tanzania and the whole of East Africa. Chris We are traveling it to Tanzania with Maria after the e-learning conference and I will be grateful if you tell us your needs in Tanzania!

        Maria wonderful posting. I am clearing most of the work here before I leave in May. I hope we will visit Ifakara because, I want to compare what they do in Malaria there. I am happy to see you connecting me with Chiara Pozzi, this is great. I hope you a wonderful learning as I prepare to meet you soon. The update for bursary is not yet but if they communicate I will forward you the results.
        Sam

        Samwel Okech kongere
        Nyamuga primary school
        P.O BOX 191,
        MBITA  040305-KENYA.
        Cell: +254 725 600 439
        FOSS ADMIRER
        Community Development

        Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
      • Maria Agnese Giraudo
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 18, 2007
          Dear Samwel, Janet, Asif, Tom, David and all,
            It's great Samwel that you got that bursary, we wait for the official confirmation, what about you Tom and David?
           I would like to put you in touch with Chiara Pozzi  she works in e-learning in Milan,Italy and is  involved in a project with a Kenyan association in Gwassi district (?) Have a look at p://www.formare.erickson.it/archivio/ottobre_06/14_POZZI although it is in Italian. Please contact her and ask me for translatin.
           I sent her all information of MS forum and I explained what great work Andrius and all mambers are doing together.
          I'll meet Samwel wife Lilian, in Nairobi. she is a great lady "behind a great man there is always a great woman" .
          Greetings!
          Maria Agnese Giraudo

          samuel kongere <samkongere2004@...> ha scritto:
[...]

        • tom ochuka
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 18, 2007
            Dear Maria,I did Applied but havent got some
            Burs....Just help ne get posted if possible..Ia ready
            for the event,Thanks Sam ,Janet for you seems Not to
            want to go without me great lets keep up the good job.
            Thanks
            MAY YOU KEEP ME GOING TO LEARN...
            TOM OCHUKA.
            --- Maria Agnese Giraudo <mariaagnesegiraudo@...>