sensing nature workshop

  • jinan kodapully
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hello
      As usual  we are having the sensing nature; knowing nature event at Aruvacode, Nilambur, Kerala.during April, May. Do come.
      The fundamental issues we raise through this event is the 'nature of learning,  biologically embedded aesthetic sense in children, role of the 'teacher', do nothing method etc.
      We hope to have dialouges, presentations etc with the visitors to the event.

      Usually around 60 children of the age 5 to 17 from the village attends the workshop.
      It looks like that we are already born with aesthetic sense. I think this is our connection to the world  and the  way we conduct our lives provided we leave that to the nature in all of us.
      Senses which is our doors to the outer world and also to the inner world is what needs to be addressed and that too in a manner that would enhance the inherent, natural, biological tendency in all human beings to be in beauty and to know.
      The work shop on sensing nature is for providing space to come together to listen, to see, to taste, to touch, feel, to make etc. Senses connects not only to knowledge but also to the beauty of living. Sensitivity is in a way is matter of the awakening of the senses and feelings.
      There is no teaching.
      Development of aesthetic sense which is the basis for all art forms seems to me the most important aspect to be explored as this would equip the student to pursue any art form at any time depending on the individuals interest and opportunities that might prop up.
      Rather than learning skills to sing, paint, draw etc this would make a qualitative and an attitudinal change in the learner.
      Teaching is not called for but by providing an environment that would allow the natural in us to come forth.
      This would require sensitivity, trust and indeed careful planning for the unplanned to happen.
      You can see examples of applying this method which I call 'do nothing training method' at two sites.
      In my work with potters in Nilambur, Kerala I have applied this method. The site www.kumbham.in , http://www.kumbham.in/tiles .html would give an idea of the kind of original and creative work the people who went through this method has been impacted up on. And also the workshop 'Sensing Nature; Knowing nature' during the two months holidays (April, May) which I have been doing since 2003.
      http://www.hindu.com/quest /200409/stories/200409110254040 0.htm

      Jinan

      Jinan,
      www.re-cognition.org
      www.kumbham.in
      http://my.opera.com/jinankb/albums/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/terracotta_murals/sets/72157594503980465/
      09447121544
      0487 2386723

      The fish are biting.
    • samuel kongere
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007

        Dear Edward, Andrius, Jackton, Helen and All,

        Pleasure and great to see much progress going on through here on our intended center for Orphans. The Help for Orphans International school is going to pick up in May and we are gettting our first registration of children for the school. This is going to be a great chance for the children and the entire community in Lambwe division in Suba district.

        We have taken the better part of our time to collect views of the community members and what they think about the school. There is something funny about the site where the school is, as most of the schools are in Mbita and its enviroment and the ones near here are far. The Help for Orphans International school in Lambwe is going to help the children much with the intended services.

        The Help for Orphans International school is co-founded by us and The Help for Orphans International, an organization helping children in developing countries from USA you can check our site www.helpfororphans.org our initiative will oversee that the children boarding in school and this will only be for orphans who cannot fend for themselves. The school will have solar panels to provide power., this will create an opportuinty for them to be introduced to computers and information technology .

        This educational aspect will attract younger and elderly members of the community who are rapidly gaining interest in the unique resources that use of computers have to offer. The  location will also provide business people with convenient access to their morning coffee kiosks and spiritual needs as a community.  At this initial stage we are in dear need of funds to start the feeding programme as we continue to bulid and buy the necessary equipment.

        As Edward mentions about One laptop for a child, many children can get this opportuinity to help them access information and share technology. In Moshi Tanzania Edward, we are going to connect you with a children's center there called 'Tunahaki'. 'Tunahaki' which is already connecting with organizations in USA and given they are in the coffee growing area of Kilimanjaro serves your purpose for connection. When we visit Moshi we will get you all the information in June.

        Happy Easter!!!

        Samwel Okech kongere
        Nyamuga primary school
        P.O BOX 191,
        MBITA  040305-KENYA.
        Cell: +254 725 600 439
        FOSS ADMIRER
        Community Development

        Be a PS3 game guru.
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 6, 2007
          Asif,

          I agree with all your reasons. They are important.

          If we agree that our webinar - and the contributions of all of the
          participants - is in the Public Domain, then you have all of the rights
          that you desire. Indeed, we all do!

          But if you own the webinar - including my contribution - then I lose my
          rights to my contribution. I have to depend on your good humor and I
          also have to ask you for permission. That seems unnecessary. But also,
          if our work is in any part inspired by God, then it seems unfair to him
          that our work be restrained in any way.

          May we agree that this webinar - and the contributions of all of the
          participants - will be in the Public Domain?
          If yes, then I will send my information as you request.

          Thank you for this opportunity.

        • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 7, 2007

            Andrius:

            Yes, I agree all works will remain in the public domain, so long as TrainersPod can do what it needs to as listed below.

            http://www.ms. lt
            ms@...

            href="http://base.google.com/base/search?a_n0=podcasts&scoring=ld&a_y0=9&a_s0">http://base. google.com/ base/search? a_n0=podcasts& scoring=ld& a_y0=9&a_ s0
            href="http://base.google.com/base/search?a_n0=podcasts&scoring=ld&a_y0=9&a_s0=0&a">http://base. google.com/ base/search? a_n0=podcasts& scoring=ld& a_y0=9&a_ s0=0&a

            href="http://www.elluminate.com/">http://www.ellumina te.com/>H and
            href="http://www.elluminate.com/support">http://www.ellumina te.com/support>H .
            href="http://www.elluminate.com/support_UTH">http://www.ellumina te.com/support_ UTH .

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8, 2007
              Asif, Thank you! Yes I will do this. I will try to write in the next few
              days. Greetings from Pamela McLean here in London where I am staying.
              She had a great trip to Nigeria and she brought 500 USD of our
              laboratory's money for My Food Story and related investigations that
              we're thinking through. Today I fly to Hamburg, Germany. Happy Easter!
              Andrius