Funding for travel to Nairobi conference?

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2007
      Asif,

      I share your request with our group. I encourage you to write directly.

      Congratulations on your invitation to speak in Nairobi. I don't know of
      any person or group who provides such support for such travel, but
      perhaps others do. Also, is there work that you might do or services
      that you might provide?

      Thinking out loud,

      http:www.ms.lt
      ms@...

    • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2007
        Hi:

        Yes, once in Nairobi, I will have the opportunity to collect some data for a
        grant that I am preparing. I will be working with colleagues at the
        University of Nairobi and at the Hospitals. My wife being a nurse will
        co-ordinate all the items of the grant that are related to e-medicine. Jenny
        is our technical support person and will help collect data as to how we can
        change their IT structure. This has been in the planning for many years now.
        We just need to collect data and write up the grant together. It is a
        multi-year grant. Of course, me speaking at the conference will help in
        gathering more people into our mission. That will be for the other project I
        help with, whereby we use the local train and go to the villages to provide
        medical support and education. This will be a worthwhile trip in may ways.
        My wife will help with the medical part as will I and Jenny will help with
        the e-medicine part when we attend to those in the villages. If you can help
        in any way that would be much appreciated. The conference invitation gives
        me the opportunity to go there and get some things done that are on the back
        burner for a while.

        Thank You.

      • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2007
          Hi:

          I forgot to mention that on my way to Kenya I will be taking books for the
          medical school (from my collection and my wife's collection) and medical
          supplies for the satellite clinics that we plan to visit along the train
          ride.

          asif.daya@... wrote:

          > Andrius:
          >
          > I have been invited to speak at the Nairobi conference. I need 2-3
          > tickets. It is costly for me. Do you know where I can get funding on
          > such short notice. The conference is on May 28-30. But visas need to
          > be secured. Each ticket costs about 1,700 round trip. I can find my
          > own accommodations and transportation there.
          >
          > So we are looking for about 5K.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Asif.

          Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless
          it explicitly states otherwise http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org Please be
          kind to our authors!
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Janet Feldman
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
            Dear Asif and All,

            Hello and wonderful to hear this excellent news, both abt the conference and the work you will do in Kenya. This is where my work centers (www.kaippg.org), and I have also been networking for the conference organizers, so they regard KAIPPG as a partner (I say this to make the linkages clear).

            I would suggest that AMREF and some other orgs doing telemedicine be contacted, and also possibly a business like Kenya Airways, which does have a community-service component and outlook, under which a project like yours could fall (ie as a rationale for giving you a reduced rate on travel).

            I am not sure if they have international flights, though. But another route--at least for your textbooks and equipment--might be some of the airlines like KLM, which have humanitarian-oriented projects that transport goods free of charge. They don't usually transport people (which I find odd), but at least you might cut down on some costs if they could take your goods.

            I don't know if the Kenyan govt itself could be of help, but that's worth a try too, as I know they are supportive of telemedicine and other e-projects.

            I do have a few contacts I could pursue as needed, and could do that in abt 10 days, or sooner if I can. There should be some way to help defray expenses for someone doing work such as yours, and hope that we can find it!

            With blessings and best wishes, Janet (Feldman, kaippg@...)

          • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007

              Janet:

              Thank you for these resources and the ones you are going to try out. In case everyone is wondering – I do not work at the moment – I am working towards the end of my PhD. And am dedicated to TrainersPod – where we provide the free education via Elluminate – hence the money crunch. I am also trying to get TrainersPod ready for a grant application. Please visit http://www.trainerspod.com/CMS to see older Webinars. Jenny, my colleague usually posts them – so I don’t know if the last one we had on Thursday on Collaboration by Dr. Janet Salmons is up as yet. Hope you enjoy the visit. We plan on Podcasting them and also having them in Spanish. Jenny is fluent in Spanish and will be doing the translation.

              Asif.

              With blessings and best wishes, Janet (Feldman, kaippg@earthlink. net)

              I will have the opportunity to collect some data for a
              >grant that I am preparing. I will be working with colleagues at the
              > University of
              Nairobi and at the Hospitals. My wife being a nurse will
              >co-ordinate all the items of the grant that are related to e-medicine.
              Jenny
              >is our technical support person and will help collect data as to how we can
              >change their IT structure. This has been in the planning for many years
              now.
              >We just need to collect data and write up the grant together. It is a
              >multi-year grant. Of course, me speaking at the conference will help in
              >gathering more people into our mission. That will be for the other project I
              >help with, whereby we use the local train and go to the villages to provide
              >medical support and education. This will be a worthwhile trip in may ways.
              >My wife will help with the medical part as will I and Jenny will help with
              >the e-medicine part when we attend to those in the villages. If you can
              help
              >in any way that would be much appreciated. The conference invitation gives
              >me the opportunity to go there and get some things done that are on the
              back
              >burner for a while.
              >
              >Thank You.
              >
              >Asif.

              w:st="on">Nairobi . I don't know of

              wrote:

              >> Andrius:
              >>
              >> I have been invited to speak at the
              w:st="on">Nairobi conference. I need 2-3
              >> tickets. It is costly for me. Do you know where I can get funding on
              >> such short notice. The conference is on May 28-30. But visas need to
              >> be secured. Each ticket costs about 1,700 round trip. I can find my
              >> own accommodations and transportation there.
              >>
              >> So we are looking for about 5K.
              >>
              >> Thanks.
              >>
              >> Asif.

            • samuel kongere
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
                Hello Asif,

                Your standing and acting on behalf of MS at the Nairobi Conference is well thought of. Which conference will you be attending? I am figuring out what you mean by e-medicine!, great thoughts, I am also lover of technology and how we can use technology in whatever way to let people get information in Agriculuture, Fishing, medicine etc. Going to Villages can add flavour to your e-medicine venture.

                I will love to meet you and learn more about your idea. you can brief me and will arrange to see what you will do with Jenny.
                Samnwel

                always stay connected to friends.

              • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007

                  Samnwel:

                  By e-medicine I mean the use of solar power to power a camera/video system that broadcasts images and sound to the main hub – Nairobi , here a Dr. can help with the diagnoses. We plan to have courses in Public Health via CAWDNET that works in Nigeria – they have partnered with us. Hence, having local villages with someone educated in Public Health will be of great benefit in dealing with the main Physician at the hub. We will also look for grants that will help getting generators. We are also looking into Wi-Max which has a broader spectrum than Wi-Fi. If there is an expert out there in Wi-Max, please let me know. There is a satellite dish located at the rift valley that I want to see if we can tap into that. All these are possibilities that need to be looked into seriously. I can only attend if I find funding – hence my commitment for this year is tentative.