Minciu Sodas meeting March 2008 in Rome on e-learning

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2007
      Hi Agnese,

      I share your letter. We also chatted by Skype. I think it would be best
      to organize the conference around what is most interesting to you, which
      I think is e-learning.

      On April 26th we will give a webinar with Asif Daya using the Elluminate
      technology. With this technology we can present PowerPoint presentations
      and discuss them. I will present about the way to create a plan of
      investigation for an investigatory question. I also invite you, Agnese,
      and all who would be interested, but especially our African
      participants, to give short ten minute presentations about what
      e-learning would be useful for their personal and local situations. This
      can help us understand what kind of e-learning conference we would like
      to organize and how can Samwel's visit be maximally useful.

      Maria Agnese Giraudo wrote:
      > Dear all,
      > yesterday I waited for connection to Webinar but perhaps I misunderstood.
      > Regarding arrangement for conference in Rome in March 2008. I
      > contacted Paolo Pumilia. He would like to get more information from
      > us, of couse, I can't speak of the technical side.
      > I would like to understand how will be working the video Bridge. Could
      > you Andrius and Jeff explain us?
      > Tomorrow I'm in Milan and I would like to meet him although until now
      > I couldn't arrange an appointment. It would be great if Andrius
      > contact him in advance. Jeff, your involvement would be very
      > appreciated but you have to discuss with Andrius at first!
      > My view of that conference in Rome is to put together:
      > ONGs and associations dealing with Africa
      > Theachers and associations dealing with education
      > Africans leaving in Italy. Associations of Africans, Kenya and
      > Tanzania Embassy, perhaps Uganda Embassy too
      > magazines as: "Terre di Mezzo" "Altreconomia" and other...
      > The conference could focus on Victoria lake area and main aspects of
      > local population situation : education, health, enviroment, economy,
      > ICT...
      > I would like that we arrange a large committee. Rome is very
      > bureaucratic town, therefore I suggest Andrius to start to write
      > something with the contribution of everybody so that I can start an
      > informal presentation of our project. Please, send me your comments.....
      > Have a good day!
      > Agnese (Maria Agnese Giraudo)

      [08:30:31] Andrius Kulikauskas Hi Paolo,
      [08:31:06] … Maria Agnese Giraudo would like your help to organize a
      conference for our lab in March 2008.
      [08:31:22] … She is inviting our colleague Samwel Kongere from Africa.
      [08:31:32] … And certainly it will relate to Open Content.
      [08:31:50] Paolo Pumilia hi
      [08:32:03] … ye. i'llmeet her tomorrow
      [08:32:16] Andrius Kulikauskas Oh, that is great
      [08:32:45] … Two ideas...
      [08:32:56] … One is to connect this with some existing conference or event.
      [08:33:04] … That would help us make connections.
      [08:33:24] … Another is that it would best for our lab to organize it as
      an "unconference" such as a BarCamp http://www.barcamp.org
      [08:33:33] … which is to say, not as an academic conference
      [08:33:46] … but as a set of working group meetings.
      [08:34:24] Paolo Pumilia what is the topic?
      [08:34:47] Andrius Kulikauskas We have to decide
      [08:34:46] Paolo Pumilia and the aims?
      [08:35:03] Andrius Kulikauskas Our main aim is to maximize the value of
      Samwel Kongere coming from Africa.
      [08:35:28] … The main topic I think would be building personal
      relationships to support investigations online and on-the-ground.
      [08:35:50] … And the structure would be a series of meetings for our
      lab's working groups that are open for all to participate.
      [08:36:29] … I would encourage each of our lab's working groups to
      consider having a meeting as part of the event.
      [08:36:44] Paolo Pumilia you mean that anybody passsing by a terminal ca
      enter and talk in the group?
      [08:36:47] Andrius Kulikauskas So it may be five or six gropus.
      [08:37:15] … The groups will be moderated by the leader, but basically,
      yes, if they have something relevant for the work of the group.
      [08:37:28] … Also, we would like to do some video bridges.
      [08:39:13] Paolo Pumilia what are video bridges?
      [08:39:45] Andrius Kulikauskas Video bridges are basically video
      conferences, but imagine that the image is projected across all or part
      of a wall.
      [08:39:54] … So it is as if two rooms are connected.
      [08:41:11] Paolo Pumilia do you already have a place where to set up
      video bridges in italy?
      [08:42:45] Andrius Kulikauskas no
      [08:44:00] Paolo Pumilia well you have time
      [08:44:24] … tomorrow i'll maria agnese will tell me more
      [08:45:48] Andrius Kulikauskas yes
      [08:48:10] Paolo Pumilia ok
      [08:48:53] … which other sites will be invlved?
      [08:49:14] Andrius Kulikauskas we don't know yet but very likely
      Kirchbach, Austria and/or Vienna, Austria
      [08:49:17] … and also Vilnius, Lithuania
      [08:50:15] Paolo Pumilia i will contact you for more info late next week
      [08:50:30] Andrius Kulikauskas yes and we can write through our group
      Learning From Each Other
      [08:50:54] Paolo Pumilia can i found some discussion alredy?
      [08:52:36] Andrius Kulikauskas
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/learningfromeachother/message/388
      [08:52:56] Paolo Pumilia ok, i'll have a look
      [08:53:18] … bye
      [08:53:23] Andrius Kulikauskas bye

      [Tue Mar 13 2007 14:34:30] Maria Agnese Giraudo hi!
      [Tue Mar 13 2007 14:34:55] … Are yu available?
      [Tue Mar 13 2007 20:04:57] Andrius Kulikauskas Hi Agnese. How is
      everything?
      [08:32:08] Maria Agnese Giraudo i'm here
      [08:32:20] Andrius Kulikauskas Yes I am chatting with Paolo
      [08:32:24] … he says he will meet you.
      [08:32:34] Maria Agnese Giraudo i contacted Paolo and we arranged to
      meet tomorrow at 5pm
      [08:32:45] … grat
      [08:32:50] … great
      [08:34:16] Andrius Kulikauskas Here is what I wrote him:
      [08:34:17] … [08:32:45] … Two ideas...
      [08:32:56] … One is to connect this with some existing conference or event.
      [08:33:04] … That would help us make connections.
      [08:33:24] … Another is that it would best for our lab to organize it as
      an "unconference" such as a BarCamp http://www.barcamp.org
      [08:33:33] … which is to say, not as an academic conference
      [08:33:46] … but as a set of working group meetings.
      [08:35:56] Maria Agnese Giraudo please Andrius write something about
      this idea
      [08:36:01] Andrius Kulikauskas Our main aim is to maximize the value of
      Samwel Kongere coming from Africa.
      [08:35:28] … The main topic I think would be building personal
      relationships to support investigations online and on-the-ground.
      [08:35:50] … And the structure would be a series of meetings for our
      lab's working groups that are open for all to participate.
      [08:36:31] … I would encourage each of our lab's working groups to
      consider having a meeting as part of the event.
      [08:37:08] Maria Agnese Giraudo great! but would also important to
      connect prople in Nairobi?
      [08:37:35] Andrius Kulikauskas Also, we would like to do some video
      bridges.
      [08:37:51] … So it may be five or six gropus.
      [08:37:15] … The groups will be moderated by the leader, but basically,
      yes, if they have something relevant for the work of the group.
      [08:38:06] Maria Agnese Giraudo thit requires a large band connection?
      it's possible to connect Mbita or Rusinga?
      [08:38:13] Andrius Kulikauskas It's possible with Nairobi.
      [08:38:25] … And maybe with Rusinga, we will see. It can be a goal.
      [08:39:12] Maria Agnese Giraudo i think that it's very ambitious and we
      have to start now to work on it
      [08:39:18] Andrius Kulikauskas Yes it is good.
      [08:39:45] Maria Agnese Giraudo then you have to come here to presnt it
      [08:40:30] Andrius Kulikauskas Yes I will come
      [08:40:50] … I will come for Franz's MIR meeting in Austria in the fall
      [08:40:55] … and go to Italy at that time.
      [08:41:26] Maria Agnese Giraudo it's very impoortant to involve
      associations andd magazines so thathey take responsibility of
      advertising this event
      [08:41:39] Andrius Kulikauskas yes
      [08:41:46] … and to organize our work in Italian
      [08:41:52] … it would be good if you also spoke with Andrea Mills
      [08:41:55] … in Piacenza
      [08:42:13] Maria Agnese Giraudo we don't have money for advertising and
      we want to spend as less is possible
      [08:42:50] … please give me all contact you have in Italy and we arrange
      for your visit
      [08:43:10] Andrius Kulikauskas http://www.bravebrains.com is Andrea Mills
      [08:44:14] Maria Agnese Giraudo ok