Assembling computers in Africa

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 20, 2007
      Kennedy, Thank you for your great letter! I have not been able to
      respond in time.

      I did find an online store that sells 20 flash drives (125 MB) for a
      total of 150 USD. I will see if they deliver to Africa. Perhaps you
      and others could shop and see what makes best sense?

      Also, could you, Fred and others study the online stores to see what
      kinds of parts we might buy for you to assemble. Perhaps we can use our
      wiki pages to collect this information. What is the best kind of
      computer to try to build for the money?

      My plan would be to pay for the flash drives and computer parts and then
      in exchange I would receive your work part-time at a rate of 1 month of
      part-time work for every 50 dollars that I spend. The work would be
      done at my request for those months in which I find relevant projects.
      It would also assume that you are steadily working on your own
      investigatory questions as you find time and sharing your progress.
      Also, you would be able to sell the parts or computers and keep any
      profits that you make. That way we're all benefiting from our
      relationship. I don't need your profits, I need your genuine
      participation, that is my real profit. Does that make sense? Can that
      work? What would be best for you?

      Kennedy Owino wrote:
      > Andrius thanks for the flash drive you have just sent me i hope that
      > this is a great step for me towards having more time to work from
      > home and contribute much towards this social forum.
      >
      > I have been striving to purchase a personal desk top because visiting
      > the cyber now and again is quite cumbersome especially with the
      > programme we are running(Nafsi Africa street children rehabilitation
      > Programme)
      > Our Programme requires a Computer for archiving/documenting and also
      > correspondence.
      > A friend/partner from the U.S.A (New York)-Paige Elenson- who came to
      > give yoga workshops to street children at our invitation promised to
      > solicit for office equipments for Nafsi.
      > Now, i make a response reagarding the mail you just wrote.
      > I would be glad if you could get us the motherboard and the hard
      > drives and we can look into assembling the remaining parts locally.
      > Used monitors and cases are relatively cheap and we can also get
      > willing friends to donate these pieces to us.
      > I know it's quite expensive shipping a complete set.
      > Fortunately enough Paige Elenson is coming back to Kenya on 20th
      > March 2007 and perhaps if it may be possible you could get in touch
      > with her [...]
      > Andrius, is it possible to send the pieces through Paige?
      >
      > best regards,
      >
      > Ken Owino,
      > Nafsi Afrika Acrobats.
      > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49679/*http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/arp/sponsoredsearch_v2.php?o=US2140&cmp=Yahoo&ctv=Q107Tagline&s=Y&s2=EM&b=50>
    • kayiwa fred
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 21, 2007
        Its good idear to aseeble computers in Africa
        and acording to me here in uganda
        we have got many computer shops in the capital city
        and when you look aroud most of them sale new
        computers and others sale used computers
        we have got few laptops sold here and those sold are
        too expensive so
        isuggest that afull set of computer is fine to be sold
        here
        and now the market is mainly on flat screen and
        pentium iii,pentiumivand above that are on high market
        here
        but it needs when you have afull set computer if ot
        then you have hard disk
        although used laptops and new ones may be on market
        too
        will try to find out more

        Be a PS3 game guru.