Welcome- then project ideas and NC3 suggestion

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 21, 2006
      First of all - Helen - you are most welcome to this group. I look
      forward to getting to know you and your work, and discovering how our
      interests overlap and how we can help each other and learn form each other.

      Secondly I am responding to what Andrius Kulikauskas wrote in "What we
      can do for Open Content." Report from Como, Italy workshop:

      >(snip)We spoke about the aspects of "open content" that we were most
      >interested in. I have marked (*) the topics that we decided to focus on:
      >
      >Training and Support the Teachers *
      >How to populate *
      >How to make a service *
      >How to collect *
      >How to manage *

      These interest me too.

      >Our major question was, how can we support teachers so that they can use
      >and build a system of open content in their teaching? I note that this
      >is also very relevant to Pamela McLean in her work with teachers in Africa.

      Yes, indeed so. Andrius is referring to "TT" the "Teachers Talking -
      About ICT" programme that I am working on with "colleagues" in
      Nigeria (Incidentally can anyone tell me what is the right word for
      people you work with - when it's not paid work?)

      By the way, I'm aware that different people mean slightly different
      things by "open content" - but let's not worry about defining it at this
      point - we can do that later if we find there are areas of confusion or
      disagreement because of different assumptions of what "open content"
      means ;-)

      >Then George Auckland of the BBC presented a vision of two sides that we
      >might bring together in the pursuit of "quality":
      >- The traditional expert
      >- Popular knowledge (as at Amazon, Wikipedia)
      >

      >(snip)

      This is a a big snip - not because what was in the snip said nothing
      interesting- but because it prompted too many thoughts to respond to in
      writing at present.

      >One project is to place "open content" as part of the practice of new
      >teaching techniques. Many of these are social, such as collaborative
      >learning, and can make use of social software, a community of practice,
      >and the ability to lead such a community. Such growth and leadership
      >arises if we support the personal growth that the teachers seek for
      >themselves and by which they show their example. Our Minciu Sodas
      >laboratory has working groups to support such leadership. (snip)

      I am excited and intrigued by this possibility and appreciate the
      opportunity that Andrius is giving me here through making me leader of
      this group. I am still "getting my head around" the "Russian doll"
      aspects of what we could do here as we are Learning From Each Other
      There are issues within issues:
      #. How we learn.
      # How we learn to learn.
      # How we teach.
      # How we learn to teach.
      # How we use ICTs to learn and to teach.
      # How we learn to use the ICTs,
      # How we use those ICTs to help each other to learn and to teach -
      formally and informally (I thrive on informal).
      # How we teach people who are excluded from ICT-enabled learning
      processes to be able to be included,.etc.

      >Another project is to develop "open content" as a way to understand what
      >kind of education is truly relevant. (snip) we find out what kind of knowledge there is an interest in and a demand for. "Open content" helps the expert and the
      >populace find each other.

      (snip - another big one - again snipped completely because it is too
      rich for me to write a response in the time I have available for this post)

      >Finally, a project that received enthusiastic support was to facilitate
      >the publication cycle. How might we separate design, layout, promotion,
      >distribution of open content into different services? This would
      >facilitate the reuse of content and the opportunities for working together.
      >(snip)
      >

      >I welcome us again to Pamela McLean's working group Learning From Each
      >Other. I invite us to share our ideas. In particular, please let us
      >know how you would like to work together on making "open content" a
      >reality in education.

      I have a suggestion related to the subjects of open content, demand,
      working together etc
      .
      Regarding TT there are some resources that I developed for "NC3" - the
      "No-Computer Computer Course" element of TT. We could take one or more
      of these resources to play around with, and see what some of Andrius'
      project ideas would mean in practice. If things worked out well we might
      continue with more of the NC3 resources - if not we would at least have
      learned something about collaborating on the development of open content
      and have a clearer idea of how to move forward and what kind of project
      to try next.

      Working on NC3 (even if it was on just one of the resources) would not
      be an empty exercise but a practical one. . I recently presented TT as a
      case study at an IICD "Train the Trainers" workshop in Zambia. Fellow
      trainers were interested in using the NC3 resources in their own work. I
      want to develop an effective mechanism for sharing the resources with
      those trainers and with others. Anything that we Learn From Each Other
      about good ways to share the resources will affect the way I go forward
      with NC3 afterwards.

      Would anyone be interested in possibly taking this further?