Cognitive potential drawing. a samvaad on 27 28 29 october at PUNE

  • jinankb
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2014

    We are inviting you to participate in the samvaad on the COGNITIVE
    IMPORTANCE OF DRAWING to be held on October 27, 28, 29th at Pune.
    Please see the program details at
    http:// cognitiveimportanceofdrawing. weebly.com/

    We will have presentations, videos, discussions, exhibition as well as
    'Learning to draw sessions' to take fear out of drawing.

    Drawing as a tool to enhance observation needs to be promoted as drawing helps in cognition. Writing is not a cognitive tool but just a skill. Linking drawing with art misleads this potential of drawing.

    We want to explore the cognitive potential of drawing- as tool for
    observation, description, analysis, communication, abstraction and
    more importantly as a step to learn to write. Due to various
    misconceptions drawing is not being given the importance it deserves.
    The fear of drawing prevents most adults from even attempting this.
    The  way we accept writing as a functional tool and put up with bad
    hand writing drawing also needs to be seen as purely a functional tool
    and accept 'bad drawing'. For this one may need to disassociate
    drawing from art because art seems like something one can't understand
    or it is not all that important. Also one needs to put aside ideas
    like drawing as an inborn skill etc.
    May be we should give equal weightage to drawing as much we give to
    literacy. One thing to note is that writing is not a cognitive tool
    nor does it help in cognition where as drawing does help in
    observation which is the first step in cognition.

    Sadhana school experience
    Based on our three years observation on drawings by children we see a
    strong connect between what children experience, what children play,
    the toys they make and the drawings they do. (We have a total non
    coercive, no instruction, no help environment for children and we do
    not provide toys etc hence children get to function autonomously and
    What we are seeing from children's drawing is that how much their
    observation ability is getting fine tuned. It is also showing the
    process of abstraction and comprehension of the world they are
    engaging with. How three dimensional objects like house, bus, car etc
    gets represented initially as one plane and how these complex figure
    gets represented gradually showing its three dimensionality.  Children
    also use drawing to explain their experience.  So it is important to
    treat drawing as a simple and natural activity that children do,
    especially in the context of literate communities where pencil, paper
    etc are part of the context.
    In the context of the historical development of writing drawing has
    played a major role. Many alphabets still retain its traces and it
    seems that people using this alphabets do use both sides of the brain.
    Drawing is like a vaccination to rrot oneself in the real world before
    entering the world of literacy which often takes people away from the
    real world!

    If this is true then we must see to it that the educational boards and
    other government bodies that engage with children in the early years
    be sensitized to this aspect.

    Hope you will find time to come for the samvaad.
    (See the  work- on- progress site
    http:// cognitiveimportanceofdrawing. weebly.com/ and also join the
    gmail group  samwaad-on-learning@ googlegroups.com for online
    If you are interested in registering for the event do email us at

    Sadhana school team
    Amol, Chitra, Reva, Naren, Ranjana, Saurabh,  zoe, Jinan