You are invited to First Thursday - January 2nd

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2014
      You are invited to First Thursday
      It's the first meeting of 2014 so let's  take the long view. What are our hopes and challenges for the year  ahead? Do we have overlapping interests? How might we help each other?

      A possible glitch

      There has been a technical problem which we hope will be sorted by tomorrow. Gerry, who kindly hosts First Thursdays on a server in his basement in Chicago, has had a serious malfunction which he is working to rectify. He hopes it will be okay by tomorrow, but if you do have problems connecting don't keep trying. Instead, I suggest two other possible options:
      1. Send me an email of your hopes, challenges and interests for 2014, and I'll share them in a blog post on www.dadamac.net
      2. Join me on Skype ( typing not talking) for an alternative First Thursday chat - but only if the etherpad is not working.
      My hopes, challenges and interests

      To kick off - and to save time during the meeting I'll share my hopes, challenges and interests now

      For myself I hope to bring various things together this year - and I hope that First Thursdays will play a part.

      As you may know, I'm very interested in 21st century lifestyles, learning and livelihoods.
      "
      21st century lifestyles" means I'm interested in how the internet affects us and how it can help us.

      My learning interest is mainly about  our self-directed learning journeys, i.e. how we learn by doing and by finding out what others know rather than going on formal taught courses.

      Livelihoods and lifestyles is about making our way in life - not just finding a paid job, but doing things that add value in other ways, and also doing things in new ways (or by rediscovering old ways) - appropriate technology, permaculture etc.

      Using First Thursday

      I'm interested to see how we can best use "First Thursdays" meetings to learn from each other.

      Etherpads

      I think that the etherpads are the best place to meet because all that is needed is the url. The challenges include making the most of our time together and capturing the information that we share.

      "Usual way of doing things"

      At the moment I only invite a handful of people each time because we are still developing our "usual way of doing things" - i.e. if you have a large screen then chat in the chat box and put key facts on the main panel. (If you are using a phone and so have a small screen then ask others to help you capture your key facts).

      Archiving

      I would like to develop ways of archiving the information that we collect. Effective archiving is a mixture of finding the best way to do it, and finding people (or a person) willing to help.

      More flexible meeting times

      There are benefits in having a regular set time to meet, but that time is not the best time for everyone. I would like to explore additional ways of meeting and sharing information that would complement the First Thursday meetings. It would be easier to link different meetings if we had a good way of achieving/sharing what happened.

      A "First Thursday Group"

      If I was to make a list of all the people who have joined me at First Thursdays over the years, and all the things we've discussed (and all that I, for one, have learned) it would be a wonderful rich mixture. So thank you everyone who has joined me.

      The list could become even richer during 21014.

      For a start I hope there will be an increasing overlap between First Thursdays and the GlobalNet21 Africa group (which hosted a meeting with John Dada last November).

      I would like "First Thursdays" to spill over from "an event" that only happens for one hour on the First Thursday of the month, and spread out to become
      a loosely connected "online group" of people who share interests with each other at other times too.

      During 2014 I would like to explore additional ways that we can learn from each other, encourage each other, and generally benefit from opportunities to rub minds and see things from various perspectives.

      Join me

      Please come and share your hopes, challenges and interests for 2014 with me, and whoever else joins us, in the First Thursday Group on January 2nd http://etherpad.openstewardship.net/January-2014-First-Thursday

      Happy New Year

      Pamela

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2014
        Pamela,

        Thank you for your invitation to your First Thursday chat which I share
        also with my online group Living by Truth. Pamela McLean lives in
        London, UK, is interested in online learning, and puts that in practice
        with her colleagues in Nigeria and Africa in general.

        She invites us to share our aspirations for 2014 and join her for
        discussion. I may not be able to make it today, but at least I want to
        share my aspirations and I invite us all to do likewise.

        In 2014, I want to write an e-book of several hundred pages that shares
        all that I've learned in my lifelong quest to know everything and apply
        that knowledge usefully. I have already written a summary:
        http://www.selflearners.net/thetruth.pdf
        I want to clarify the kind of culture I seek. I wish to find people who
        would like to work together to foster that culture. I want to learn how
        to apply myself to encourage that.

        In January, I will launch a fundraiser at http://www.kickstarter.com to
        raise at least $1,000 of support for me to write my e-book. This would
        be a significant support and also would help me know my audience.

        I will write my book here in Lithuania and finish by June. I may also
        teach a related creativity course if I receive support from the US
        Embassy. I would like to try to illustrate my ideas with music and song
        as I have with visual arts.

        On June 13, I fly to Chicago. I will do art shows at the Lithuanian
        Youth Center near 55th and Western and at the South Side Community Art
        Center in Bronzeville. I will present my book, illustrate its ideas and
        engage the public, including other artists and thinkers.

        Overall, I'm very interested to learn from others how my ideas may be
        relevant and useful to them and how we could work together. They have to
        do with knowing ourselves, the limits of our minds, the ways of figuring
        things out, how to listen to God, how to recognize eternal life in the
        here and now, and our role in the big picture in life. It's about being
        a "good kid", of fostering our conscience at every moment in life.

        Wishing you a most productive chat,

        +370 607 27 665
        http://www.selflearners.net

        2014.01.01 20:05, Pamela McLean rašė:

> [...]
        >
        > For a start I hope there will be an increasing overlap between First
        > Thursdays and the GlobalNet21 Africa group (which hosted a meeting
        > with John Dada last November).
        >
        > I would like "First Thursdays" to spill over from "an event" that only
        > happens for one hour on the First Thursday of the month, and spread
        > out to become a loosely connected "online group" of people who share
        > interests with each other at other times too.
        >
        > During 2014 I would like to explore additional ways that we can learn
        > from each other, encourage each other, and generally benefit from
        > opportunities to rub minds and see things from various perspectives.
        > *
        > *
        > *Join me*
        >
        > Please come and share your hopes, challenges and interests for 2014
        > with me, and whoever else joins us, in the First Thursday Group on

      • ACTWID KONGADZEM
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2014
          Dear Pamela, Andrius ,Janet Feldman and all,
          Thanks for sharing with ACTWID Cameroon.
          We all wish all of you a very peaceful and prosperous New Year 2014
          Sincerely ACTWID board led by Wendi Losha ,National President