Re: [globalvillages] TECH AWARDS for development solutions

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2007
      Hi Jeff

      I haven't read all this thread so my reply may not be relevant - but I
      saw your last post ref cheap solutions.

      It is probably worth bearing in mind that - for many development ideas
      - appropriate, small solutions are best because they can be implemented
      by end-users (by individuals or by local communities) i.e.by the people
      who really want the thing to start working and to keep working. Big
      solutions have lots of interested parties - some of whom may be more
      interested in photo-opportunities, talking shops, travel expenses and
      miscellaneous perks related to the project than in actually making the
      thing work and continue to work. Also - end users really know their
      local situation and are best placed to recognise what would (and would
      not) fill their genuine needs.

      Obviously there is more to it than that - many other issues regarding
      national and local administrative structures and decision making etc. -
      but I suggest that - for many development ideas - as a general rule of
      thumb, if something can be done by a local person with initiative then
      it's probably got a better chance of widespread and long term success
      (through multiple replication) than any grandiose top down programme.

      This is why we need to set up structures through which local people can
      be involved in debate with designers, technologists, philanthropists,
      bankers, investors etc. (Building on the micro credit work of recent
      years and combining it with the "death of distance" that we can have
      through appropriate ICT use.)

      Pam