Re: [livingbytruth] Friday, 7pm, workshop: Visualize meaning!

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2012
      Hi Andrius

      I notice you are suggesting donations in money or time from people who attend your workshop.I like the idea of this kind of sharing.

      I think it is important that:
      • people are appreciated for what they do
      • people can share ideas and knowledge easily
      • no-one is excluded from learning groups and other learning opportunities because they lack some financial "entrance fee"
      • we are realistic regarding the fact that people who create and share information/knowledge cannot continually "work for nothing" (because we live in a material world and have to find ways to meet our material needs)
      • we recognise that there are many creative ways to enable people to meet their material needs in collaborative ways
      • we do not think that  "There must always be an exchange of money if I do some 'information/knowledge work' with someone because if I work for no money then I will never be able to cover any of my material needs"

      On this theme you may be interested to read about Trade Schools -http://tradeschool.coop/

      BTW I'm doing the November 20th session at the Hub Westminster:     Finding Your Way in a Rapidly Changing World   http://tradeschool.coop/westminster/class

      Pamela

      On 21 August 2012 05:35, <ms@...> wrote:

      Laura Schaeffer, Sherry Williams, Bob Lichtenbert and all, I share below
      my invitation to my workshop "Visualize meaning!"

      Andrius Kulikauskas, ms@..., (773) 306-3807, http://www.selflearners.net

      Visualize meaning! - workshop with Andrius Kulikauskas

      Friday, August 24, 2012, 7-9 PM
      Southside Hub of Production (SHoP)
      5638 S. Woodlawn Ave., Chicago (Hyde Park)

      Suggested donation: $5 or 1 hour of volunteer work.

      Andrius Kulikauskas, Ph.D, thinker and artist, leads this workshop.

      1) Andrius shares his findings about six different kinds of "meaningful
      episodes-in-life". He notes how they relate to paradoxes, such as how
      something arises from nothing.
      2) We categorize the experiences we shared at an earlier workshop, and
      reflect on new ones as well.
      3) We each choose a meaningful episode that we'll try to draw with oil
      pastels, markers or pencils.
      4) As we draw our episodes, we consider, how do we portray a life of
      "leaps", of living on the edge of chaos and order, of leaping from
      "positive" spaces into "negative" spaces, of portraying ambiguity.
      5) Andrius presents a scale model and sketches that he's making of a large
      art work overviewing the different kinds of meaningful episodes. He
      explains how visualizations are based on sequences, hierarchies and
      networks.
      6) We see how our drawings come together as a whole!

      Here is how Andrius has organized the episodes that we've collected so far:
      http://www.selflearners.net/Theory/MeaningfulEpisodes

      Andrius Kulikauskas, http://www.selflearners.net, is resident artist of
      the Bronzeville Historical Society
      http://www.bronzevillehistoricalsociety.com and is creating a centerpiece
      for the factory at the Pullman State Historic Site.
      http://www.pullman-museum.org

    • ms@ms.lt
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2012
        Pamela,
        Yes, I agree with you. Nobody took me up on the offer of volunteering.
        Most participants contributed $5 as requested. I think the volunteering
        option is logical, but first it takes a strong culture for that to happen.
        That makes me think that it is important that we keep showing our example
        through our actions, even though it may seem strange at first. How do we
        jump start a culture? Overall, the donation was helpful in that the group
        was small but dedicated.
        Andrius