Our Mendenyo working group

  • ms@auste.elnet.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2007
      First, I'd like to welcome all of our newcomers to Samwel Kongere's working
      group Mendenyo http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mendenyo/ at our Minciu Sodas
      laboratory http://www.ms.lt

      I have unsubscribed Father David Jones and if anybody would like to be
      unsubscribed, please send a blank letter to
      mendenyo-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com or simply write to Samwel Kongere at
      samkongere2004@... or me at ms@...

      Father David was right to describe this as a "random conversation" or at
      least that's what it sounds like upon entering a room. But as we get to know
      the people in the room we start to see that serious work is getting done and
      that we're invited to join in. The purpose of our particular group here is
      to organize around Samwel Kongere, an independent thinker whose deepest value
      is "Motivation through Sacrifice", or we say, "Mendenyo" = Men without food,
      because it is possible to invest in the hope for a better future tomorrow
      rather than eat everything today. His investigatory question is How I can
      find for Myself and live Comfortably while helping others?

      Samwel Kongere lives in Kenya on Rusinga Island in Lake Victoria. He
      represented us at the World Social Forum in Nairobi held this January, 2007
      http://wsf2007.org Samwel has done a variety of work for our lab both for
      free and for pay. Currently, he's leading a team for
      http://www.myfoodstory.info and also I sent him two wireless Internet access
      points at the end of December but his primary school has not received them
      yet. Sometimes the "air mail" takes a while and sometimes things get stolen,
      I imagine.

      Samwel, thank you for collecting the email addresses from 26 people who would
      like to participate. Do you know anything more about them, what groups they
      would prefer to join? If you do, then let me know, and if you don't, then
      please sign them up for Mendenyo. Be sure to use the "add" feature
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/mendenyo/subs_add
      rather than "invite" because they have already given their permission. Also,
      I have signed up about 15 people in Chicago who care about Africans and the
      possibility to work together. I invite us all to introduce ourselves or
      simply jump in with our thoughts.

      Samwel, I am checking with our tax agency in Lithuania. My intent was that
      you work for me under an "authorship agreement" for the creative work that
      you do as if you were writing articles for my lab. However, it seems there
      is a 15% tax for "nonpermanent residents of Lithuania" and apparently that is
      a category that you fall in here. (It's a strange expression which is why I
      didn't catch on earlier.) Anyways, I will pay this tax for the work you have
      done earlier, unless you can provide me with invoices from your business or
      from an organization. But then you may have trouble or obligations on your
      side. But maybe you won't. So please consider. Here is my record of
      payments to you:
      - November 2005, 100 USD for interviewing local activists.
      - December 2005, 400 USD for attending Africa Source II in Uganda and other
      projects.
      - March 2006, 100 USD for interviews on community currency
      - June 2006, 90 EUR for translating ProWiki
      - October 2006, December 2006, 500 USD for your work on MyFoodStory
      Can your business or your organization write me an invoice for a total of
      1100 USD + 90 EUR ? If you can and it doesn't cause you problems or taxes,
      that's great. If you can't or if it costs you, then I will pay the tax over
      here in Lithuania.

      Samwel, Thank you for the mushroom story which I post here
      http://www.myfoodstory.info/index.php?storyteller=&tag=Mushrooms
      Who wrote the story?

      Samwel, The password at MyFoodStory is Minciu Sodas.

      Yes, we should start arranging for your travel to Italy and Lithuania and
      figure out the route and get visas for you.

      -----------------

      Hi Andrius,

      You are a director one and Half, I love working with you and trust you know
      our stand for all our communities success. How is your trip, i trust it is
      good and everything will work well. I am happy with the ongoings in my food
      story and your working with my fellows here is good and encourgaing. Hellen
      is a cool alady and working with her is fine. I saw your commitement and
      this is why I say you are "one and half". Good palns ahead of our next
      Tanzania visit with Maria. Ken Owino ,is another excellent man well
      communicated and can do more than me as I grow Old in Our Lab. Ken will
      mobilize well and when we converge in Nairobi in May, Me, Maria, And Ken
      Owino all will be wonderful.

      I have just collected this short story attached from Kenya Mushroom
      Association. You can upload it. I am having some problems uploading the
      stories, there is a messege always saying complete the password. Clarify so
      that I can uploading alone. I need also to send these emails for the people
      who were able to fill our flyer and retuned it. After their response to you;
      I will submit their deepest Value in Life?

      I hope we arrange ealier for my travel to Italy. I had several connections
      of those who attended the WSF and were willing to help me do something on ICT
      and wirelss.
      Bye,

      Samwel Okech kongere
      Nyamuga primary school
      P.O BOX 191,
      MBITA 040305-KENYA.
      Cell: +254 725 600 439
      FOSS ADMIRER
      Community Development
      UDOGO youth development group-coordinator