Andrius's workshop, What do we truly want to learn?

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2011
      Hi Pamela and all!

      Fred, congratulations on your graduation! and best wishes for your future!

      I share some news from Chicago.

      I'm leading a workshop at the Tutor / Mentor Leadership Conference this
      Friday, November 4, 2011, 9:40-10:45 am, at the Metcalf Federal Building,
      77 W Jackson Boulevard in Chicago, Illinois.
      http://tutormentorconference.org/agenda.asp
      http://tutormentorconference.org/descriptions.asp

      I ask us to spread the word and to think, What do we truly want to learn?

      The conference is organized by Daniel Bassill. At this time, it costs
      $80. The goal is to connect leaders and supporters of volunteer-based
      tutoring, mentoring and education-to-career programs, especially in the
      Chicago area. I got involved because of my interest to make a living from
      a Learning Club.

      Currently, I'm working part-time after school as a chess instructor for
      Chess Scholars http://www.chessscholars.com I'm also working online for
      http://www.brainfuse.com to help students with their homework through a
      system of chat, white board and lessons. The advantage of that work is
      that I can likely do it from anywhere, including Lithuania.

      However, I'd like to find a more meaningful way to make a living. I like
      the idea of a Learning Club where I would meet on an ongoing basis with
      twenty or more families to help them learn. They might pay $50 per month.
      I believe that we can develop an education system based on what people
      truly want to learn. I can also apply my creative skills to create
      learning materials in the Public Domain for Math, English and other
      subjects. If I could make a Learning Club work, then potentially there
      could be thousands or millions of people making a living from them and
      transforming our education system and even our economy.

      I currently have one student, an adult learning math, and she's happy.
      The major obstacle is finding a place where such a Learning Club would be
      welcome, given that I wish to make a living from it.

      I entitled my workshop, "Nurturing the Art of Self-Learning", but I think
      more to the point is the question, "What do we truly want to learn?"

      Daniel Bassill's goal is to open up career opportunities for disadvantaged
      youth and young adults. I don't believe in careers, in the traditional
      sense, and I don't look to them as solutions for our society. Instead, I
      wish that we could learn what we truly want to learn, and learn alongside
      each other.

      Likewise, I do think that we exhibit different levels of maturity as
      self-learners. Yet instead of formalizing roles of "tutor/mentor" and
      "student", I prefer to learn alongside each other, as much as possible,
      and work towards a culture where we are all learning and helping each
      other learn. One thing that I'm discovering as a chess instructor is that
      I can keep attentive 10 or more youngster of different grade levels (1st
      through 5th, say, or 3rd through 7th) by teaching as deeply, profoundly as
      possible, so that not everybody understands everything all the time, but
      their not bored, and the deep ideas grow in their minds like seeds,
      springing to life later on.

      I think, therefore, that it's important for our own credibility that we
      ourselves be great learners. I will start with the 12 questions that I've
      asked independent thinkers in my years of organizing them (see below).
      I'll ask us to share our answers especially to two of them:
      * What is your deepest value in life, which includes all of your other
      values?
      * What is a question that you don't know the answer to, but wish to answer?
      and also a few more:
      * What is your dream in life?
      * What do you wish to achieve?
      * What lessons can you share?

      I'm making a poncho on which I'm painting a backdrop based on my diagram
      of some 40 questions asked by participants of Occupy Chicago.
      http://www.occupyme.net/chicago/wiki/Ask/Everybody
      I'll be able to include (with velcro) our "questions that we don't know
      the answer to, but wish to answer".

      We'll discuss synergies that suggest themselves, including those that
      might relate younger and older people.

      We'll also discuss obstacles that keep us from enjoying these synergies,
      notably:
      * We don't believe that we can ever answer the big questions. I'll argue
      otherwise, noting my directory of "ways of figuring things out".
      http://www.selflearners.net/ways/
      * We don't believe that others could care about what we do. This is a big
      problem! We'll discuss how art projects can help us engage each other.
      * We can't make a living from such activity. And if we could, then others
      would refuse to help us be "profitable".

      I hope to learn from our discussion, both online and at my workshop!

      Thank you,

      (773) 306-3807
      http://www.selflearners.net
      http://www.occupyme.net

      Nurturing the Art of Self-Learning, presented by Andrius Kulikauskas, Self
      Learners Network

      We ask ourselves 12 questions that help us grow forever (What is your
      deepest value? What question do you seek to answer?...) We then consider
      art projects that invite others to explore with us deep ideas in Math and
      other subjects they wish to learn.

      This workshop is for all who wish for a culture of learning, growing,
      living forever, here and now.
      We consider ourselves, adult self-learners, as central for a culture of
      learning forever and living forever. In contrast, our current education
      system focuses on preparing children for an adulthood in which learning
      become less central as we grow older.

      We take up 12 questions which Andrius Kulikauskas asked as he organized
      independent thinkers around the world for his online laboratory, Minciu
      Sodas.

      1. What do you care about? How would you introduce yourself to a person
      who is interested in you but knows nothing about you?
      2. Do you care about thinking? How do you rule or shape yourself and your
      thinking as well?
      3. What do you value? What is your deepest value in life which includes
      all of your other values?
      4. What do you seek to know? What is a question that you don't know the
      answer to, but wish to answer? (There may be several.)
      5. What do you wish to achieve? Your endeavors.
      6. Would you think out loud? What do you wish to contribute to the
      commons? What part of your thinking might you share freely, openly, in
      the Public Domain?
      7. Where do you think best? How do you think best? What is your preferred
      way of thinking?
      8. What is your dream in life? What would you wish for, especially what
      role would you like to play in life, if there were no obstacles?
      9. How can we help each other? What kind of help would you like to give
      to others? and get from others?
      10. What do you truly know about? What matters do you think yourself an
      authority on?
      11. What lessons can you share? What are some concrete ideas / patterns /
      questions that you wish to contribute to our culture?
      12. What do you know of God? What do you infer or suppose about how this
      world is set up, how it works?

      The 12 questions become relevant as we grow as learners. We note the
      cultural values inherent in them.
      We then consider how to reach out to the vast majority of adults and
      youths who struggle as self-learners. How can we engage them and
      encourage them?

      Andrius Kulikauskas presents two 9' x 6' Learning Canvases that he
      created to illustrate deep ideas. One of them shows the system of vowel
      sounds. Another showcases the key ideas in basic Math. We discuss how art
      opens us up for learning.

      We share what we ourselves would like to learn or teach. We consider what
      art projects might explore and illustrate the deep ideas and classic
      problems in these subjects.

      We conclude with thoughts on a network of Learning Clubs. A learning
      coach could serve dozens of families, meeting once a month with each
      family to make a study plan, leading group meetings at different
      locations where we help each other learn, and being in touch by phone,
      email, chat and web
    • kayiwa fred
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2011
        Dear Andrius and all
        Thank you for your best wishes to my future
        looking forward to collaborate with you more here
        Fred

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2011
          Hello Andrius and all,

          I have been squeezed with family matters and will be available after 14th November 2011 for consultations and and other related issues socially to adjust on my networking activities. I have graced your unending efforts and wish everything we undertake as community change agents for socio-economic development for livelihood.
          I wish you well for your workshops.
          Samwel!

          Social Community Network/Information Coordinator,
          Suba/Mbita-Kenya
          'Aliving hope is desire' When it is socially lived!