Cameroon elections

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2011
      Hi Wendi!
      I shared your letter. Zoneziwoh of Cameroon was also there. She said
      that there's a movement for democracy during your presidential elections.
      She's blogging about that. Best wishes to your country!
      Andrius

      -----------------------

      zoneziwoh: great-am back--my greetings to all. I am zoneziwoh. i am not
      new to the first thur virtual chat. i suspect this is my third or fourth
      year as a member of this community
      9:16
      Pamela: Gerry - Andruis hosted first thursday in its earliest days
      9:16
      zoneziwoh: i am a cameroonian, student and also a social entrepreneur/
      activists
      9:16
      Pamela: hi Z
      9:17
      Pamela: please add your details on line 35
      9:17
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Hi Zoneziwoh!
      9:17
      zoneziwoh: hi Pam, nice to meet u again--it' s bn long--
      9:17
      Pamela: G - sorry you will have to go soon
      9:17
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Gerry, I'm setting up http://www.occupyme.net
      9:17
      zoneziwoh: hello Andrius--nice to meet u all , once more
      9:18
      Gerry: On the plus side, it is to go sailing with Debbie before going into
      the office. It will be 80 here today.
      9:18
      Andrius Kulikauskas: I want to help people find ways to get more involved
      in Occupy Chicago
      9:18
      Andrius Kulikauskas: yes it's a beautiful day
      9:19
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Gerry, what are your interests?
      9:19
      Gerry: You are in Chicago?
      9:19
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Yes I'm in Pilsen
      9:19
      Andrius Kulikauskas: 18th and Racine
      9:19
      Gerry: Sailing, biking, technology. I'm in Portage part, NW side
      9:20
      zoneziwoh: how many cameroonians are live now, on the chat room
      9:20
      Gerry: We must know some of the same people. I'll figure out how to catch
      up with you later.
      9:21
      Andrius Kulikauskas: my email is ms@...
      9:21
      Pamela: Hi Z - good to be in contact again -
      9:22
      zoneziwoh: Andrius, what is the crisis all abt in wall street. i have been
      watching the news but have not paid much attention to the wall street
      issue--since my own ctry is amidst a deep crisis with the upcoming
      presidential elections this sunday Oct 9th
      9:22
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Gerry I've sent you a facebook request
      9:22
      Pamela: gerry my connection dropped again a few minute back- is it just me
      or are others havign a problem today?
      9:23
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Zoneziwoh, some people in America are starting to
      think that there is something fundamentally wrong with our society
      9:23
      Pamela: z - please put your details in line 35
      9:23
      Andrius Kulikauskas: with the way that corporations are set up
      9:23
      Pamela: then people who come later will easily know who you are
      9:23
      Andrius Kulikauskas: and the lack of a participative democracy
      9:24
      Andrius Kulikauskas: and so have come to Wall Street, which is the
      financial center of New York,
      9:24
      Andrius Kulikauskas: with the stock exchanges and banks
      9:24
      Andrius Kulikauskas: to demonstrate
      9:24
      Andrius Kulikauskas: to occupy the surrounding area
      9:24
      Andrius Kulikauskas: to point to the root of the problem
      9:24
      Pamela: thansk z - please add your country too
      9:25
      Andrius Kulikauskas: the people who benefited from the economic crisis
      9:25
      Andrius Kulikauskas: and to assemble there and find each other and
      consider alternatives
      9:25
      Andrius Kulikauskas: and this movement has spread to Chicago and other cities
      9:25
      Andrius Kulikauskas: so it is a very vague movement
      9:25
      Andrius Kulikauskas: but for that reason very real
      9:25
      Andrius Kulikauskas: it's not just about a particular set of grievances
      9:26
      Pamela: hmm - maybe i would also help if we foudn soem way to say what we
      hope to talk about today as well as inroducing ourselves
      9:26
      Andrius Kulikauskas: and it's inspired in part by the Arab spring
      9:26
      Andrius Kulikauskas: I'm interested to consider what kind of online spaces
      nowadays are useful for supporting such activism
      9:26
      Andrius Kulikauskas: because what we did with Pyramid of Peace was back in
      2008
      9:26
      Andrius Kulikauskas: but of course there are other topics, too
      9:26
      Pamela: i will put a few notes under line 40 about our discussion so far
      9:27
      zoneziwoh: wao! the world is going saor--first it was the UK, and now the
      US and not to mention the hazardous african crisis from Northern africa to
      subs of the south saharan
      9:27
      Ken Owino: Hi all
      9:29
      Pamela: hi ken - pls add more of your detail at line 33 on the RHS
      9:30
      zoneziwoh: i think i am ok with the political crisis/issue in cmr and the US
      9:30
      Pamela: oops wath has happening to Graham item on the LHS
      9:30
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Hi Ken
      9:30
      Pamela: oops sorry ken i meant line ss on LHS
      9:30
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Zoneziwoh, what is the situation in Cameroon? with
      the presidential elections?
      9:31
      zoneziwoh: the situation in cameroon is getting worse
      9:31
      Pamela: graham I am sorry your ethicla agriculture itme seems to have
      vanished - i think that was a mistake
      9:31
      zoneziwoh: last week sunday Oct 1st, over 200 activists were arrested and
      detained in the Southwest region of cameroon, Buea
      9:31
      Pamela: we are still buling our skills at using this space
      9:31
      Pamela: please add it againg
      9:32
      zoneziwoh: Yesterday 29th September, 2011, as from 5pm – 8pm (CAT),
      Witnesses report a heavy military presence in Cameroon's commercial hub,
      Douala, after gunmen dressed in military uniform opened fire on a major
      bridge and carrying signs opposing Cameroon's longtime ruler. Some of the
      placards read “Paul Biya Must Go At All Costs! Enough is Enough! Biya the
      dictator!”
      9:32
      Pamela: Z - I think you were tryin to add something
      9:33
      Pamela: please have anohter go
      9:37
      zoneziwoh: yes Pam..-- jus of recent, cameroonians are becoming very alert
      of the force of social (new) media
      9:38
      Pamela: z - are you on twitter?
      9:38
      zoneziwoh: yes, am on twitter
      9:39
      Pamela: I wonder if anyone has any advice about using twitter to the
      elections
      9:39
      zoneziwoh: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=238012929579567
      9:39
      Pamela: also we have teh issue of possible post eletion turmoil
      9:40
      zoneziwoh: yes! created a twitter list #blog_kmer_elections
      9:40
      zoneziwoh: our goal is to encourage cameroonians to embrace web 2.0 for
      self growth and development
      9:40
      Pamela: Andrius and ken have experience fo using phones and internet
      during post election violence in Kenya
      9:41
      Pamela: ref - our goal is to encourage cameroonians to embrace web 2.0 for
      self growth and development- that is a gret goal Z
      9:41
      Pamela: we must rub minds on how dadamac can help you
      9:41
      zoneziwoh: thanks
      9:42
      Pamela: we can continue our chat here after the hour is over.
      9:42
      zoneziwoh: for instance the facebook event page wc was created 2 weeks
      ago--@ https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=238012929579567---
      9:42
      Pamela: even if wa are not both here at the same time.... we can put a few
      thoughts..
      9:42
      Pamela: and then when the other person visits they can respond
      9:43
      Pamela: and anyone else who visite cna resposn too.
      9:44
      zoneziwoh: ok---in addition also, some of the political news update, i
      have been posting on my blog at http://zofem.blogspot.com/
      9:44
      zoneziwoh: so Pam, what is the agenda of the day?
      9:44
      Pamela: That is a useful link - please add it over on LHS
      9:45
      Pamela: maybe aroud line45
      9:46
      Pamela: if you read line 50 and below you will see what was suggested
      9:46
      Pamela: but always we want ot go with what is of most interst to the
      people who arrive
      9:46
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Zoneziwoh, that's great to hear of people active
      9:47
      Pamela: Then we try to capture te main parts of our discussion on the LHS
      so people can quickly understand what was covered
      9:48
      Pamela: it is hard to read through all the chat afterwards
      9:49
      Pamela: thanks Z
      9:50
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Zoneziwoh I see that you are using several
      technologies, including a blog.
      9:50
      Andrius Kulikauskas: How are they working together?
      9:50
      Andrius Kulikauskas: And how can outsiders help?
      9:50
      Pamela: Andrius you may also like to put some links or main points from
      you contribution to teh chat over on the LHS
      9:51
      Pamela: teh coulrs are helpful because it means we know who said what.
      9:51
      zoneziwoh: the reason i am using these many techs, is to extensive the
      voices of the people speaking--
      9:51
      Pamela: But on the LHS we keep it brief
      9:51
      Pamela: yes you are very wise Z
      9:52
      Pamela: some people will prefer one and others will be comforatble with
      somethign else
      9:52
      Pamela: I wonder if you would like to write a blog post about what you are
      doing.
      9:52
      zoneziwoh: some of the ways people outside cameroon can support is to
      share / spread the message widely--bc most at times, people's experiences
      go unheard .
      9:53
      Pamela: I woudl love you to write a guest post for dadamac
      9:54
      zoneziwoh: yes--i dont mind--i will definitely write a blog post but that
      will be best after the elections--so that i can fully share my experience
      as well as those of other members, who have contributed in bringing their
      stories to the public hearing
      9:54
      Pamela: thank you
      9:54
      zoneziwoh: you are welcome
      9:54
      Pamela: if you go to http://www.dadamac.net/ and sign in
      9:55
      zoneziwoh: do u have a word limit for your blog?
      9:55
      Pamela: then I will be able to give you the necessary permission to you
      can post a blog later
      9:55
      Pamela: no there is no limit
      9:55
      zoneziwoh: great--
      9:56
      Pamela: if you find it useful then you can write more blogs
      9:56
      Andrius Kulikauskas: are people in Cameroon using Twitter much? or Facebook?
      9:56
      zoneziwoh: the use of personal story to tell an experience is far more
      inspiring that some other person speaking on ur behalf---
      9:56
      Andrius Kulikauskas: what percentage?
      9:57
      zoneziwoh: Andrius, that is the challenge--the reason, we are using the
      strategy of individual story telling--
      9:57
      Pamela: we want to make dadamac net a useful site for people in other
      places - not just for John in Nigeria
      9:57
      Pamela: but we needed to work with his information first to discover how
      things would work
      9:58
      Pamela: and of course he is co-founder of Dadamac
      9:58
      Pamela: so his work does get a special emphasis
      9:58
      zoneziwoh: web 2.0 is still a new development in the country .that is why
      we keep encouraging those subscribe in these sites to understand the
      values and be able to use it for community/social good
      9:59
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Zoneziwoh do you do much with ACTWID KONGADZEM
      9:59
      Pamela: z - you are fight abou thte power of individual story telling
      9:59
      Pamela: oops - you are right
      9:59
      zoneziwoh: yes--i have heard of ACTWID KONGADZEM
      9:59
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Dear Andrius, Greetings from all of us in ACTWID
      KONGADZEM in Cameroon. We have left a message for you in the chat room for
      today since we do not have direct interenet connect and may not be chanced
      to have any connection on internet at the time you have given. We hope you
      will be able to read the message we have left through our national
      president for you in the chat room. If you cannot see it well all we are
      saying is the fact that we appreciate all we did with you and especially
      what you did for us in the past in our organization and we still continue
      to sing prises here in ACTWID for you and Janet Feldman in particular for
      the assistance you had given us. We are still at this point looking for
      volunteers who can come and volunteer somtime with us to teach some skills
      especially ICT development and we know about your great Mathematic skills
      too ACTWID has developed a spacious resources development center for our
      rural women and youths which is already in use now and we can be able to
      host volunteers there as well as students on field placement who may also
      have either IT , Health or Environmental skills to teach in addition to
      English,French or Mathematics for our Chosen children .orphans who find
      Maths very difficult to understand in schools. So your project Occupy
      Chicago may be very useful to us. Any one you find during this chat who is
      interested in our work in ACTWID can be kindly linked to us either through
      emails using actwid_k@... or ruralwomenservices@... or my
      personal address which is yaahwendi2001@.... To call the numbers are
      237 77333500 or 97314443 Thank you immensely Sincerely ACTWID National
      President on behalf of all members Wendi Losha
      10:00
      Andrius Kulikauskas: perhaps you can contact them and share greetings
      10:00
      zoneziwoh: yes--internet connections in the country are blocked
      10:00
      zoneziwoh: currently mobile twitter has been suspended
      10:01
      Pamela: hmm - i will need to leave soon (our one hour is over and someone
      is here to work with me) - but I will coem back later to read the archive
      10:01
      Pamela: Of course you can continue to chat as long as you like
      10:01
      Pamela: perhasp you will still be here when I come back
      10:02
      Pamela: ref contacts blocked....
      10:03
      zoneziwoh: ok Pam, we will miss u. nonetheless, i know u will b with us in
      spirit
      10:03
      zoneziwoh: thanks Andrius for the mgs from ACTWID
      10:04
      Pamela: hmm .. we wondered if we had a good idea..but realise it would not
      work
      10:05
      zoneziwoh: that is the challenge we have in the ctry--the use of ICT for
      self development. it is a brilliant initiative ACTWID are doing--i will
      definitely drop them an email--though we are extreme away from one another
      10:05
      zoneziwoh: they are in the NW and I am in the central, which is a full day
      trip to their place from my own place
      10:06
      Pamela: if we think of something we will add it - the suggestion will be
      in my name - but will come from Andy if it soudns techie :-)
      10:06
      Pamela: can you access opera mini? this is a brower that goes through a
      proxy in norway
      10:09
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Zoneziwoh, I will share our chat with them
      10:09
      Andrius Kulikauskas: how might they best contact you?
      10:10
      zoneziwoh: via my email--
      10:11
      zoneziwoh: that will be fine--it will be nice to hear their story
      too--what their experience is life during this electoral moment
      10:14
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Zoneziwoh, anything else to add? How do you encourage
      them to participate before the elections?
      10:31
      zoneziwoh: sorry, i step out
      10:32
      zoneziwoh: it is quite challenging but not impossible
      10:33
      zoneziwoh: at this very early satge-- most members of these sites--uses
      the sites for either chatting, sharing friendly jokes etc
      10:33
      zoneziwoh: so, that i how, i get involve--the reason, it is a story
      telling process
      10:34
      zoneziwoh: no body is expected to write an acdemic or professional
      paper--but jus sharing ur day-to-day experience when ever u sign-online
      10:34
      zoneziwoh: jus like how, u update ur profile status
      10:34
      zoneziwoh: so, that is how, i get ple involve
      10:57
      Pamela: hi Andy has gone now, so I am just back to see what I missed
      11:08
      unnamed: i may be able to join you later, if i am allowed by the kids :)
      11:08
      happyseaurchin: wait a mo... when is your "hour" pam?
      11:12
      Andrius Kulikauskas: hi
      Chat:

      Zoom:
    • ACTWID KONGADZEM
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 15, 2012
        Dear Andrius,Janet and all,
        Special greetings for this season from all of us in ACTWID in Bamenda, Cameroon to you, Janet Fieldman and Pamela in particular. We are are all well and are happy to still work with you all during this year 2012 .Hope that this our email will meet you all in good health as we are too in ACTWID.
        W e have been very busy towards the end of this year as we prepared and a delegation from our NGO led by Wendi Losha did represent us in Durban ,South Africa during the World Summit on Climate Change. Wendi was one of the invited guest speakers there in the African Pavillion last December 2011.
        Best Wishes for this year to all of you.
        Sincerely ACTWID board members led by Wendi Losha,National President/Coordinator