What kind of online spaces are useful?

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2011
      Hi Pamela,

      I have a topic on my mind for your chat today.

      What kinds of online space could be useful for Occupy Chicago? I list
      below some basic ones and I appreciate more suggestions. What's a good
      way of doing online chat? Etherpad? Does it make sense to use Google+ ?
      How can we make the most of Facebook and Twitter? Thank you, Andrius

      -----------------------------------
      Hi John!

      Different online technologies have different advantages. All are important.

      * Online discussion groups (google groups) are good for making sure that a
      group of people (like a committee) are receiving the same content. This
      shared knowledge and conversation builds a community. However, the
      sharing should be public so that others can find us, watch us, point to us
      and integrate themselves (get involved!) and our culture is inviting,
      self-correcting, transparent and not a clique. For example, Occupy
      Chicago is set so that "Anybody can view group content"
      http://groups.google.com/group/occupychicago/about
      whereas currently and unfortunately, the committee groups are set so that
      "Only members can view group content" and you have to be signed into
      Google as well:
      http://groups.google.com/group/oc_outreach/about
      http://groups.google.com/group/occupychicagoedu/about
      I note that this is a separate question from showing our addresses: "Only
      members [or moderators] can view group members list".

      * Online forums (bulletin boards) as at http://occupychi.org/forum/ are
      good when you want people to be more focused on specific issues,
      questions, tasks. For this reason they are less effective at building a
      culture because there is less interaction, less shared content. Online
      networkers can help make sure people get response.

      * People are writing to info@... and other addresses at:
      http://occupychi.org/contact/
      Todd is sending these emails onward to the Outreach committee and perhaps
      others. We can help respond.

      * Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/search/%23occupychi is good for sharing
      real-time information. But then it's forgotten... Follow: Occupy
      Chicago http://twitter.com/#!/OccupyChicago/ and this is who Occupy
      Chicago follows: http://twitter.com/#!/OccupyChicago/following/tweets

      * Facebook http://www.facebook.com/OccupyChicago is great for sharing
      information through "online word of mouth", friends of friends. An easy
      way for people to show support. But then, can we help them get involved?

      * Wikis are an important tool for "knowledge work", for more thoughtful,
      ongoing collaboration. I'll set one up today and I appreciate especially
      your help there. It can also be good to develop profiles of people who
      are taking initiative, taking the lead.

      * An online chat room can be a good place for people to engage us, to
      coordinate response. Should I set one up? We can also host online
      discussion. Similarly, this could be an IRC channel, through Skype, and
      it can be done through a Twitter hash tag like #occupychi and people can
      be invited to "chat" or "tweet" at specific times. What's important is to
      respond, and also, to collect content created and work with it further.
      We need a knowledge flow to link together the different online spaces and
      also to link them with the crucial onsite location (La Salle and Jackson).

      John, please keep engaging me publicly, and together we'll engage others.
      Please write more about yourself!

      I'm especially interested to help as a "learning coach", encouraging us to
      lead by thinking out loud, by sharing what we don't know instead of what
      we know, especially, questions that we don't know the answer to, but wish
      to answer. My deepest value is "living by truth" and my question is, "How
      can we be one?", especially for a culture of learning, growing, living
      forever, here and now. I think that Occupy Chicago is a great opportunity
      to work on this question!

      Who belongs to various committees? Please share my letter and sign me up
      for them!

      Thank you,

      http://www.selflearners.net
      (773) 306-3807

      John Dickson:
      I couldn't agree more on all of your points. Are you saying we should move
      email threaded discussions onto online forums for transparency? I can help
      as a networker and liaison.
    • ACTWID KONGADZEM
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2011
        Dear Andrius,Pam, Zoniwo and all,
        Thank you immensely for the chat which i could read as i was not able to follow up with any of our members. Zoniwo,will try to meet you in person after elections when i find time to visit in Yaounde. Kindly accept greetings from all of us here in ACTWID.
        Sincerely Wendi