invitation for a meditative retreat on beauty

  • jinan k
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2011
      Hi
      I am planning to do a retreat called `Being in Beauty' at Nilambur from 12th September to 18th sept 2011 ( Monday to sunday).
      See details http:// awakeningtheaestheticawareness .blogspot.com/2011/07/being- in-beauty.html

      A gathering to de intellectualize, de conceptualize and de institutionalize beauty,
      The attempt is to recover the natural way of being in the world which has been damaged by the modern culture.
      Homogenization, mechanization, fragmentation is the beingness of modern man.
      Spontaneity is replaced by planning and control which stems from the fear of unknown and uncertainty. The beingness of modern man is in reason.
      This damage is brought about by the shift in language as communication tool to language as cognitive tool.
      This retreat is in a way the culmination of my work related to recovering authenticity, originality in terms of aesthetic sensibility and cognitive process.
      This has been developed from my past 20 years of work (learning from) with artisans and children. (www.kumbham.org, www. rediscoveringchildhood.org, h ttp://www.my.opera.com/jinankb )

      Two parallel explorations I have been engaged has been to understand how we have been damaged – homogenized, cloned, de skilled, fragmented, alienated- by the modern education and other conditioning institutions and tools– market, hospitals, TV, news etc. and how as a biological organism born with tools to make sense of its world understands it and inhabit.
      School prepares us for processing and storing information by excessive importance given to memorization and development of conscious and instrumentalist reasoning. These two skills seems to be incapable of perception, creativity which is what is required in the realm of unknown.

      Some time ago, in 1996 or so I had done a workshop called Against the tyranny of reason. An year later I did another workshop called de textualising experience. All these issues seems to me very much connected to loss of our connection with the core of our being which is biological, sensorial, experiential, autonomous etc.
      My work with the non literate artisans due to its paradigm of respect for their creativity and cultural rooted ness gave insight in to a very different way of knowing and being- humble, innocent, respectful of nature and at the same time original and creative. ( Modern notions of creativity is very much a commercial centered and market driven which stems from greed and not need)

      This one week retreat do not claim to solve any of that but would probably initiate a journey towards that end.
      I am attaching a flyer, registration form and a write up about the event.
      Kindly pass this on to any one who would be interested in attending the event.
      Contact me at jinankb@...

      Jinan,
      www.re-cognition.org
      www.kumbham.org