Fwd: Tr : New Fellowship Opportunity for African Faculty

  • Kennedy Owino
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2011

      I'm sure youy will spread the info to thoseones who are interesting in continuing University.

      Peace

      Ken

      Subject: Tr : New Fellowship Opportunity for African Faculty

      In case you know people interested

      roland

      Dear colleagues,

      I am thrilled to announce the official launch of the Next Generation Social Sciences in Africa fellowship program, which responds to a shortage of well-trained faculty now reaching crisis proportions in African higher education.

      The new program offers three distinct competitive fellowship opportunities to support the advancement of social science faculty and promote interdisciplinary social science research in Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, and Uganda. It will enable early-career social science faculty to complete doctoral degrees and conduct innovative, evidence-based research on peace, security, and development topics.

      Please make note of our application deadline of August 31, 2011; application forms are available on our website.

      I sincerely appreciate your support of our vision to invest in the higher-education infrastructure across Africa. I would be grateful for your help in reaching out to institutions and individuals to spread the word about our three fellowship opportunities, which are generously funded by Carnegie Corporation of New York. Please also let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

      Sincerely,

      Tom Asher

      Thomas Asher, PhD
      Program Director
      Social Science Research Council

      ELIGIBILITY

      All applicants must be citizens of and reside in a sub-Saharan African country while holding a current faculty position at an accredited college or university in Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, or Uganda. Applicants for any of the funding opportunities offered through this program must have a master’s degree and be working toward completion of the doctoral degree.
      • To be eligible for the $3,000 dissertation proposal fellowship, applicants must be admitted to a graduate program but will not yet have an approved dissertation proposal.

      • To be eligible for the $15,000 dissertation research fellowship, applicants must have an approved dissertation proposal but will not yet have undertaken substantial dissertation research of nine months or more.

      • To be eligible for the $15,000 dissertation completion fellowship, applicants must be in the final year of writing and will have completed at least one dissertation chapter.

      FELLOWSHIP TERMS

      Strong proposals will offer clear and concise descriptions of the project and its significance and display thorough knowledge of relevant social science literature and methodologies. In addition, applicants must demonstrate that all proposed activities are feasible and can be completed in a timely manner. Proposals will be evaluated for these criteria by an independent, international committee of leading scholars from a range of social science disciplines.

      Fellows must be willing to attend two workshops sponsored by the SSRC each year that are intended to help early-career faculty produce scholarly publications. Both workshops will be held in Africa, and travel costs will be covered for fellows. The program anticipates awarding approximately 45 fellowships in total each year.

      Deadline: August 31, 2011

      The Next Generation Social Sciences in Africa Program is funded by Carnegie Corporation of New York.

      Social Science Research Council
      One Pierrepont Plaza, 15th Floor
      300 Cadman Plaza West
      Brooklyn, NY 11201 USA