Re: [learningfromeachother] Can people be motivated?

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 13, 2011
      Hi Ed

      Once again it looks like we are thinking on similar lines, so I'll take your post as an excuse to add my opinions on the topic of motivation and learning and our destructive out-moded educational systems.

      Some references to "the problem ref out-moded educational systems":Young children are compulsive learners and explorers of their environment. We also find some adults who are learners and explorers of their environment and/or explorers of ideas. Now more of us are able to be like that (following our learning interests) through the Internet, which is great. As I see it one of the great challenges is to change the education system so that it helps children to all continue as genuine learners throughout their lives (inside and outside the education system) including their use of the Internet, as it becomes accessible to them.

      BTW The value of learning through first hand exploration and investigation is also very important, which is why I don't like to see very young children "exploring" too much through the mediation of a keypad and screen, I'd rather they had plenty of first hand experience  - but that is a separate issue.

      I think there are various ideas which are important and which are in opposition to standard educational systems inherited from the 19th and 20th centuries. These have to do with questioning the validity of a culture of "right answers" and include:
      • Learn to tolerate uncertainty
      • Learn to ask your own questions
      • Be suspicious of questions where you are expected to give "the right answer"
      • Be suspicious of environments where you are expected to give "the right answer"
      • Be suspicious of situations where you benefit from other people having "not the right answer"
      • Look for situations where everyone benefits from finding good answers together
      BTW - regarding onscreen learning I know your enthusiasm for OLPC and the ideas behind that. You know I have reservations regarding OLPC so probably I should touch on my reasons for reservations.

      I'm in favour of much of the pedagogy of OLPC - if it is carried through in practice. I do like Papert's ideas. Back when Mindstorms was due for publication over here I was in the queue to get a copy  - I was  an infant teacher experimenting with computers in my classroom and I was a great fan of Seymour Papert. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Papert. However theory and classroom practice are not always the same  - and I'm cynical about the possible gaps between OLPC theory and practice having observed the initial enthusiasts' use of  LOGO and turtle graphics and also observed general classroom practice later.

      The main complaint I have about OLPC is not pedagogy, it is simply related to the "per child" part of the name, and the fact that (in my opinion) this gives the impression these computers are "for all children" rather than "one each" for those children who do get them.  They have never come anywhere near the children and teachers in the kind of schools I connect with in NIgeria, and are unlikely to do so. (As evidence I hoped to refer you to Negroponte's answer at a recent London event 21st Century Challenges: Digital technology in Africa when asked by a Nigerian about Nigeria getting involved in OLPC - but the question hasn't been included in the videos.) NB Before anyone contradicts that statement I should probably say that I am aware of the highly publicised single school in Nigeria that did have OLPCs in the very early days of the project.

      Like you I am in favour of children who are "agents of their own learning" having access to computers, and (whether or not it is the ideal system) OLPC has made that possible for some.

      Thanks for sharing the book details. They are new to me. The titles look great .

      Pamela

      On 15 May 2011 16:43, Edward Cherlin <echerlin@...> wrote:

      On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 07:09, <ms@...> wrote:
      > Charles Paidock, Thank you for sharing the information below.  I learned a
      > lot speaking at Prof. Bob Lichtenbert's event last month and I hope to
      > participate again.  The topic of Motivation is relevant for Cyfranogi.  We
      > might discuss the question online and I could share our thoughts at the
      > upcoming meeting. "Can people be motivated to pursue more meaningful lives
      > in all ways other than by finding this within themselves?  Reasoning with
      > people to be more motivated is quite weak.  How can we get at our wills
      > and emotions?   Any suggestions?"

      Children don't have a problem with this. What happens to us to make us
      lose our motivation? Education and society.

      I particularly recommend Vivian Gussin Paley's little book, You Can't
      Say You Can't Play, on this point. Also

      Learned Helplessness: A Theory for the Age of Personal Control by
      Christopher Peterson, Steven F. Maier and Martin E. P. Seligman

      Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life by Martin E. P. Seligman

      (snip)

    • Edward Cherlin
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 13, 2011
        On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 04:48, Pamela McLean <pam@...> wrote:

        > Hi Ed
        >
        > Once again it looks like we are thinking on similar lines, so I'll take your post as an excuse to add my opinions on the topic of motivation and learning and our destructive out-moded educational systems.
        >
        > Some references to "the problem ref out-moded educational systems":
        >
        > Fwd - youtube - Education system needs rethinking: Sam Pitroda        http://dadamac.posterous.com/fwd-youtube-education-system-needs-rethinking
        > Fwd - The Changing Role of the Teacher in the 21st Century        http://dadamac.posterous.com/fwd-the-changing-role-of-the-teacher-in-the-2
        >
        > Young children are compulsive learners and explorers of their environment. We also find some adults who are learners and explorers of their environment and/or explorers of ideas. Now more of us are able to be like that (following our learning interests) through the Internet, which is great. As I see it one of the great challenges is to change the education system so that it helps children to all continue as genuine learners throughout their lives (inside and outside the education system) including their use of the Internet, as it becomes accessible to them.
        >
        > BTW The value of learning through first hand exploration and investigation is also very important, which is why I don't like to see very young children "exploring" too much through the mediation of a keypad and screen, I'd rather they had plenty of first hand experience  - but that is a separate issue.

        I fully agree. Our main target at OLPC and Sugar Labs is children who
        have lots of experience of a very limited reality and not enough of
        the world's information, of fantasy, of models of possibilities, of
        contact with other cultures, and of hints about what is worth checking
        out.

        It is one of the essential principles of scientific method that one
        must have both a mathematical or other model of what one proposes to
        study, and a set of carefully designed experiments and observations
        aimed at finding any flaws in that model. So, in fact, one must have a
        multitude of possible models, of which one or another may be favored
        for a particular sort of use, while others are more speculative, but
        could be put to use if they are confirmed and their rivals are
        falsified.

        So we can use an earth-centered model for celestial navigation,
        Newtonian gravity for the ordinary motions of planets and space
        probes, and General Relativity for the ultraprecise atomic clocks in
        orbit in the GPS system, and continue to run experiments such as
        Gravity Probe B, looking for ever-tinier relativistic effects that
        turn out to be essential in astrophysics and cosmology. (Full
        references available.) We still do not know how to do experiments in
        string theory or quantum gravity or any of the proposed Theories of
        Everything to select among them. But nobody knew how to test General
        Relativity when Einstein published it in 1915.

        It is essential to an education that incorporates science that one has
        keyboard and screen experience and also real-world experience, and
        understands how they connect. Also that one has a great deal of
        experience in detecting nonsense and falsehood.

        > I think there are various ideas which are important and which are in opposition to standard educational systems inherited from the 19th and 20th centuries. These have to do with questioning the validity of a culture of "right answers" and include:
        >
        > Learn to tolerate uncertainty
        > Learn to ask your own questions
        > Be suspicious of questions where you are expected to give "the right answer"
        > Be suspicious of environments where you are expected to give "the right answer"
        > Be suspicious of situations where you benefit from other people having "not the right answer"
        > Look for situations where everyone benefits from finding good answers together

        Quite right. See, for example, The Difference: How the Power of
        Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools, and Societies,by
        Scott E. Page, on the value of diversity in education, business,
        government, and so on.

        > BTW - regarding onscreen learning I know your enthusiasm for OLPC and the ideas behind that. You know I have reservations regarding OLPC so probably I should touch on my reasons for reservations.
        >
        > I'm in favour of much of the pedagogy of OLPC - if it is carried through in practice.

        I have the same reservations. Don't get me started on Computer Literacy.

        > I do like Papert's ideas. Back when Mindstorms was due for publication over here I was in the queue to get a copy  - I was  an infant teacher experimenting with computers in my classroom and I was a great fan of Seymour Papert. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Papert. However theory and classroom practice are not always the same  - and I'm cynical about the possible gaps between OLPC theory and practice having observed the initial enthusiasts' use of  LOGO and turtle graphics and also observed general classroom practice later.

        Unfortunately Logo was pursued under the Computer Literacy policy,
        which allowed for its use for an hour or two a week, with no
        integration with any subject in the curriculum. We in the Sugar Labs
        Replacing Textbooks program are working on creating learning materials
        for every school subject, and many more besides, where the computer is
        an essential tool for exploration, whether in building models, doing
        calculations, or preparing documents and presentations on the
        computer, or using the measuring and recording capabilities of the
        computer to gather data for further analysis. See for example,

        http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/images/0/0e/Gravity.odt

        which is my reworking of an Alan Kay lesson on Galilean gravity for
        ten-year-olds. We build a model in Etoys Turtle Graphics or in the
        standalone Turtle Art activity, and then we capture video of a falling
        object in record, and manipulate it in Scratch to see that the model
        and the physics produce the same patterns. Then I ask the question why
        the Greeks, who had all of the mathematics needed, never worked this
        out.

        I also think that the children's introduction to Turtle Art should
        begin in preschool, where they get to be the turtles following
        directions and laying down trails of ribbons to make pictures. Then
        they get to tell others what to do, and experience the maddening
        insistence of a turtle on doing exactly what you told it to do, and
        not what you meant.

        > The main complaint I have about OLPC is not pedagogy, it is simply related to the "per child" part of the name, and the fact that (in my opinion) this gives the impression these computers are "for all children" rather than "one each" for those children who do get them.

        I don't understand. "Per child" means to me precisely "one each" (into
        in math jargon) and "for all children" (onto) both. It is what
        mathematicians call a one-to-one relation, and educators call
        one-to-one computing for the same reason. It is not One Laptop Per
        Some Children or Some Laptops Per All Children. Exactly "one per",
        neither more nor less.

        It is the responsibility of governments to buy enough for all of their
        schoolchildren. OLPC does not have the tens of billions of dollars
        annually required to do this. Uruguay was the first to reach this
        goal, and Peru will be next. Peru, in fact, is building an XO factory
        in the country. Rwanda, Ghana, and others have made the commitment,
        but are still working out the infrastructure issues, logistics,
        teacher training, and funding issues. Rwanda, for example, only got
        its first fiber optic cable last year.

        > They have never come anywhere near the children and teachers in the kind of schools I connect with in NIgeria, and are unlikely to do so. (As evidence I hoped to refer you to Negroponte's answer at a recent London event 21st Century Challenges: Digital technology in Africa when asked by a Nigerian about Nigeria getting involved in OLPC - but the question hasn't been included in the videos.) NB Before anyone contradicts that statement I should probably say that I am aware of the highly publicised single school in Nigeria that did have OLPCs in the very early days of the project.

        A President of Nigeria shook Nicholas Negroponte's hand and promised
        to buy XOs for all Nigerian children. He lost the next election, and
        the other party has shown no interest. Nicholas has publicly expressed
        his regret at failing to understand the difference between a handshake
        from a head of state and a signed purchase order backed by statutory
        authority to spend the money.

        Thailand was worse. The Prime Minister who shook Nicholas's hand was
        ousted in a coup. Libya turned out to be a bad joke.

        Brazil botched the bidding process under President Lula. One part of
        the government proposed letting educational computers in without
        paying import duties (100%), but failed to mention this to the part of
        the government conducting the bidding.

        Venezuela went with a different computer running Caixa Magica Linux
        rather than Fedora. Sugar Labs promptly ported Sugar to Caixa Magica,
        and I have a copy in Virtualbox.

        On the other hand, UNRWA has made a commitment to give every child in
        every Palestinian refugee camp school an XO, and has begun in Gaza.
        The Lebanon part of the project is under way, and there are
        negotiations with Syria.

        A large part of the problem of poverty that we are attacking is
        dysfunctional governments. We have some ideas about fixing that, such
        as a series of civics textbooks we want to produce, explaining not
        only how governments are supposed to work, but what to do when they
        don't. They will have to be translated into many languages and adapted
        to many different political and social situations.

        > Like you I am in favour of children who are "agents of their own learning" having access to computers, and (whether or not it is the ideal system) OLPC has made that possible for some.

        I regard the XO-1, XO-1.5, XO-1.75, and XS computers as the best of
        the numerous alternatives that have been proposed and made available.
        The XO-3 promises to be even better. At the same time I am aware of
        their numerous and sometimes woeful inadequancies, such as the failure
        of mesh networking in schools. We don't have the funding to do a solid
        consumer-grade industrial design.

        I refuse to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

        > Thanks for sharing the book details. They are new to me. The titles look great .
        >
        > Pamela
        >
        > On 15 May 2011 16:43, Edward Cherlin <echerlin@...> wrote:
        >>

        >> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 07:09, <ms@...> wrote:
        >> > Charles Paidock, Thank you for sharing the information below.  I learned a
        >> > lot speaking at Prof. Bob Lichtenbert's event last month and I hope to
        >> > participate again.  The topic of Motivation is relevant for Cyfranogi.  We
        >> > might discuss the question online and I could share our thoughts at the
        >> > upcoming meeting. "Can people be motivated to pursue more meaningful lives
        >> > in all ways other than by finding this within themselves?  Reasoning with
        >> > people to be more motivated is quite weak.  How can we get at our wills
        >> > and emotions?   Any suggestions?"
        >>
        >> Children don't have a problem with this. What happens to us to make us
        >> lose our motivation? Education and society.
        >>
        >> I particularly recommend Vivian Gussin Paley's little book, You Can't
        >> Say You Can't Play, on this point. Also
        >>
        >> Learned Helplessness: A Theory for the Age of Personal Control by
        >> Christopher Peterson, Steven F. Maier and Martin E. P. Seligman
        >>
        >> Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life by Martin E. P. Seligman
        >
        > (snip)

      • Samwel Kongere
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 21, 2011
          Hello Ed and Pam,
          I have found out that children should be left actually need to explore computers themselves.
          Intel introduced OLPC in our school in collaboration with a local NGO but the children are not impressed because only bring the keypad once a week but not satisfying. They should
          be motivated to explore and get the real adventure.
          Sam.

        • Edward Cherlin
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 21, 2011
            On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 13:41, Samwel Kongere <jambita1@...> wrote:
            > Hello Ed and Pam,
            > I have found out that children should be left actually need to explore computers themselves.
            >  Intel introduced OLPC in our school in collaboration with a local NGO but the children are not impressed because only bring the keypad once a week but not satisfying. They should  be motivated to explore and get the real adventure.
            > Sam.

            Nicholas Negroponte has compared this "Computer Literacy" approach
            with creating a room full of books and chairs and tables and pencils
            and paper, where children are allowed in once a week, but they cannot
            use any of it for classwork or homework. How many of them do you think
            would become literate?

          • Samwel Kongere
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 23, 2011
              Thanks Ed.
              Motivation is broad based, it is for all of us children, academic stakeholders, infact every of us needs recognition while in most Africa schools it is based on test- result oriented.

              The main core business of learning is academic & education excellence, standard improved, skills maintained, volume of work where a problem is identified. We should give the children what they desire and deserve.

              For us to succeed we have to remember (1) our history, (2)committments in place, (3) piriority and (4) a specific desired goal. Anyway, who wants to be a failure! Infact nobody! Education is life.
              Samwel.

            • Edward Cherlin
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 23, 2011
                On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 07:45, Samwel Kongere <jambita1@...> wrote:
                > Thanks Ed.
                > Motivation is broad based, it is for all of us children, academic stakeholders, infact every of us needs recognition while in most Africa schools it is based on test- result oriented.
                >
                > The main core business of learning is academic & education excellence, standard improved,  skills maintained, volume of work where a problem is identified.

                The main core business of education has historically been to support
                and preserve empires by systematically shutting out students from the
                most important subjects, notably effective civics. The best and the
                brightest were to be co-opted into the ruling class. Since former
                colonies have achieved independence, they have almost all maintained
                their colonial education systems, and just switched its allegiance to
                a new ruling class.

                None of this is in any way suited to the needs of a free people.

                We now have the opportunity for students to contact each other, and to
                bypass teachers, textbook and curriculum committees, and ruling
                political parties in order to find out for themselves what is worth
                learning. In this way we can create a new generation of free learning
                materials to be made available to all children and to their friends
                and relations.

              • Dan Otedo
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 27, 2011
                Yeah it is great leaving kids with the XO and Classmate,but teacher facilitation is crucial.Technology is not an end ,its just a means to an end.Whenkids are exposed to great interactive software, they learn in an amazing way.

                Dan OTEDO
                Kenya ICT Trust Fund. P.O box 8475-00100 Nairobi.
                Tel: +254203745911 .Mobile:+254720366094

                Message 8 of 11 , Aug 9, 2011
                  Hi Sam, Ed and everyone.

                  I have just discovered this thread - somehow I missed it - maybe you can share more of your thoughts and experiences on this.

                  Sam I loved the way you finished this " Anyway, who wants to be a failure! Infact nobody! Education is life."

                  Pam

                  Message 9 of 11 , Aug 11, 2011
                    Ok Pam

                    Thanks for recognizing this.
                    Sam

                    Social Community Network/Information Coordinator,
                    Suba/Mbita-Kenya
                    'Aliving hope is desire' When it is socially lived!