Qato platform for knowledge sharing; Africa?

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2011
      Pamela, I saw this letter by Maria Droujkova and I thought of you. Maria
      leads Math Future, http://www.naturalmath.com which is an organic and
      extensive community of math educators and students, online and locally.
      This might give you ideas how technology is developing and may become
      relevant for your online workspace http://www.dadamac.net I also
      introduce you to Maria in case she has projects that link up with Africa,
      especially Nigeria. Andrius Kulikauskas, ms@...

      I am happy to announce Math Future received a corporate sponsorship offer
      from DZone, a technology publishing company. We will now have an instance
      of their new, enterprise-class platform for knowledge sharing, called
      Qato. This answers to the needs of Math Future as a network of

      Consider the network structure of Math Future, which I won't attempt to
      diagram because of multiple dimensions. It consists of groups with dense
      connections (everybody talking with everybody), but also more loose and
      distributed conversations among the groups, as well as some communities
      with distributed conversations within.

      Between groups formed by projects, communities and topics of interest,
      there is much overlap, as people participate in multiple threads. Groups
      may be long-term, such as the math game group, or short-term, such as
      School of the Math Future courses that run for a few weeks. The are also
      "flash mobs" that get together around a one-time topic. It is frustrating
      trying to have that sort of communication through a forum structure, such
      as email groups, as many of you noted.

      When people communicate, they need to subscribe to multiple groups and
      topics, but not all of them: following a book making or a book review
      group, a seminar, a presentation discussion, a brainstorm about a math
      game, and so on. Larger topics and groups need to form sub-topics and
      sub-groups, which in turn may not involve everybody.

      Some of the groups involved with Math Future use our webinar room for
      their one-time or regular meetings, which any project organizer is welcome
      to do as long as meetings are open. This is supported by Web 2.0 Labs and
      LearnCentral (Steve Hargadon) sponsorship. During the events, as we ask
      project leaders The Question, "What does your project need and how can
      people help?" their answers involve spreading the word and aggregating
      communication. Some of the projects don't have any social platforms, or
      only have email lists, though leaders usually participate in other
      projects' communities. Currently, Math Future members help with such needs
      by hand, so to speak, through email or their blogs and microblogs. This is
      better than nothing, but it does not scale well.

      Qato supports Quora-like interface, but also groups and subgroups within
      the community. People can follow particular groups for ongoing
      collaborations, and tags for inter-group communication, and individual
      topics for one-time discussions. This architecture will allow us to
      support the book projects, conferences, and mathematics education
      communities much better, because it matches the way Math Future rolls.

      Excited and hopeful,
      Maria Droujkova

      Make math your own, to make your own math.