Re: [learningfromeachother] Please help Andrius think of rewards for crowdfunders!

  • Edward Cherlin
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7 8:39 AM
      I never got clear on why you don't want to teach at a regular college
      or university. They are set up specifically to support work like
      yours.

      http://www.earthtreasury.org/
    • ms@ms.lt
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7 11:30 AM
        Hi Edward,

        I do have a Ph.D. and could teach at a college or university.
        * My original reason for not teaching at one is that it is a very
        sheltered life and thus not a good environment for learning about
        life. I've seen a lot of life and so maybe that is not so relevant now.
        * Another reason for not teaching is that, in mathematics, the entire
        field is disingenuous. The primary purpose of college math is to make
        a certain percentage of people feel incompetent, give up and fail so
        as to reduce the amount of people entering engineering, medicine,
        etc.. There are practically no jobs for Math Ph.D.'s except for being
        a college professor and training more Math Ph.D.'s Mathematics
        education in university, high school, grade school is completely
        unintuitive and barbaric. There is no real interest by students or
        teachers to have a humane system.
        * My passion to "know everything" or to document and share "ways of
        figuring things out" can't be pursued in the academic world. There
        are no academics pursuing such questions, no peer-reviewed journals
        for them. In philosophy, there is no allowance that one might find
        absolute answers.
        * Academics is a career. There is a lot of competition for spots and
        I am not needed. The pay for adjunct professors is less than an
        average wage and insufficient for me to stay afloat and pay back my
        loans.
        * Students, in general, don't want to learn. And so, in general, I
        don't want to teach them. I'm a good learner and it's not fair for me
        to have to teach others who don't have my passion. It's wasteful of a
        good thing. Yes, I'm willing to do some of that to make a living, as
        I have and am as a tutor. But it's not what God tells me to do.

        If I was an acknowledged genius, then there might be a job waiting for
        me in academics. But then I would have other options as well. If I'm
        an unacknowledged genius, then there is no benefit. And I've met some
        brilliant people in academia, but their brilliance was not helpful for
        their career. Academics rewards the mundane.

        Edward, Pamela and all, Please do help me make the most of my
        crowdfunding attempt. I do need your feedback, what would be good
        rewards, what would make the project exciting. I do need your help.
        I have helped many people, I think, and so I ask that at this time we
        all help with our thoughts and ideas.

        Thank you,