MyFloodStory - poultry farm stories from rural Nigeria

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3 6:46 AM
      My Food Story - A request to my friends in Nigeria from Pam, and
      copied to Andrius Kulikauskas and his network..

      Hi John and Pastor David

      Here are more details of the MyFoodStory project for you to share with
      others.

      We have been asked to collect some information, about poultry farming,
      for Andrius Kulikauskas. Andrius directs an organisation called Minciu
      Sodas. Our information about poultry farming is part of a project he is
      organizing called MyFoodStory. The project includes various “food
      stories” from different parts of the world. Andrius will present some of
      the information as web pages on the Internet. Our task is to collect a
      number of stories about poultry farming in Nigeria. From the information
      I have at present it seems that most of the stories do not have to be
      long – just enough for a single web page. Our contribution to this
      project is a good way to widen our links with people world wide.

      The stories will be read by people who have never been to rural Nigeria
      – some of them may live in big cities and they may have never had
      anything to do with live chickens. Think of people like me - the only
      chickens I ever see at home are chicken joints wrapped up in plastic in
      the supermarket – I never see live chickens like I see in Nigeria - I
      don't even see the feathers, heads or claws of chickens. I only see
      chicken ready to cook or ready to eat. In fact many of us are quite
      ignorant about aspects of food production (I confess that until I came
      to Nigeria I thought pineapples grew on trees just like coconuts. I
      still have not seen them growing properly - only from the road on car
      journeys.) Many people have little contact with food production.

      The idea of the MyFoodStory project is that people will learn more about
      how food is produced and where it comes from. If you have any food
      stories where people are actually eating birds or eggs they have
      produced themselves please include that information. (People who are far
      removed from the production of food are often intrigued by the idea of
      people eating food they have helped to produce and knowing where their
      food comes from and exactly how it has been produced.)

      Some of the MyFoodStories will look at the whole chain of production
      from farm to supermarket. People are becoming increasingly concerned
      about the way food is produced – how unnatural it is, the “factory
      farm”, the kind of food that animals are given, the thousands of miles
      that food often travels from the producer to the consumer. By contrast
      Nigerian food is produced on a smaller scale, and tends to be for local
      markets, or even for home consumption.

      Please collect stories of people who farm poultry. Tell us things like
      who is responsible for the birds – is that person a poultry farmer and
      nothing else – or is poultry farming one job amongst others – like
      teaching, or farming other things. Please also mention something of who
      does the work and why – for example is it family members doing the work
      as part of their daily routine (for no money) or is everyone paid for
      the work they do. It is possible that we may be asked to do stories
      about other kinds of food too, but to start with the stories should be
      about poultry.

      It would be very good if each story could have a couple of photos. If
      you have photos you won’t need to write as many words and yet you will
      be giving much more information – so everyone benefits. If we gather
      enough information of the quality Andrius needs we will get some money
      which I hope will be used to increase our communications links. I need
      to check the payment details with Andrius before I write them to you.

      Our work on MyFoodStory will also be demonstrating the practical
      problems of getting information from rural Nigeria and how we are
      tackling those problems. If we do well then it is possible that when
      Andrius needs people to do paid work for him in future he may include us
      again.

      I look forward to working with you on this project, and to seeing you
      all again in March.

      Pam
    • kayiwa fred
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5 2:37 AM
        is it ok if ialso post here my food story of rural
        parts in uganda or it is for nigeria only

        mailto:learningfromeachother-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        It's here! Your new message!
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5 6:22 AM
          Hi Fred
          I think we are supposed to be doing MyFoodStories to Social agriculture
          - but I copied it here because I thought some of the info about *how I
          hoped to work* was relevant to this group. The focus here is really on
          how to use ICT to enable us to learn together in new ways.
          I confess I have used this group as a place to put some earlier
          information that I found about bird flu - but that was because Andrius
          wants me to work on that topic, and I needed to put it somewhere, and I
          haven't yet learnt the right thing to do with it..
          Pam