Re: Link-up between teachers in Denmark and in Kenya

  • Kennedy Owino
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2011
      Dear Pam,

      Thanks for your exhaustive and detailed response.

      Your response is a whole book with a zillion tips to borrow a leaf from.
      I am glad that i benefit from yet another platform you have created for sharing, learning from each other, and collaborating.
      It started by connecting online, then "learning from each other", then "collaborators connect" and now a leaf from "Teachers Connect".
      It is true ICT is a great enabler of both formal and informal education.
      Instantaneous sharing of ideas, knowledge, and skills has made collaborative work dramatically easier, with the help of  Internet.

      Contrary to the expected, we have been lucky to find a venue in a school in Kibera slum with room enough to hold a capacity of 30 participants.
      Moreover, it is equipped with 20 internet enabled desktops.
      The desktops use ADSL broadband technology but we will use the mobile internet as a fall back plan incase of power outage.
      So i believe the problem of band width is partially solved.
      The teachers themselves are fully responsible in  leading the sessions.
      There will be moderators both on the Danish side and the Kenyan side.
      I will be participating and following the proceedings here in Denmark.
      James and other Nafsi members on the ground will be helping with the set-up and the technical stuff in Kenya.
      We have shared most of your ideas with the participating teachers and doing alot of liasing so that the participants are accustomed with the procedures and have a better understanding of each side.
      the teachers already have a topic of discussion already and will be sharing educational material from various websites
      But they will not just restrict themselves to this, they have welcomed the idea of also dwelling on ICT and cultural awareness.

      We are now considering a simple set-up based on your ideas.
      And we will do a test run on a not yet defined date before the D-day just to be sure everything will be alright.
      Perhaps, we could catch up during the test run and rub minds more.

      Thanks again for your ideas that are always "positively infectious".. i always get enthusiastic to learn more and more when i read your postings.
      It is true, learning never exhausts the mind.

      Peace,

      Ken Owino

      From: Kennedy Owino <nafsiafricaacro@...> Date: 17 April 2011 09:50 Subject: Video Bridging

      Dear Dan, David and Pam,

      I hope you are all doing good.

      I am organising a web meeting/video conference meeting between teachers in Denmark and Kenya on the 13th May.
      The Kenyan teachers are from the schools in Kibera that Nafsi run Acrobatics training programs.
      And the Danish teachers are from the schools that are under an educational project called "under the same sky" by O3V (www.o3v.dk) which i am involved with.
      The project allows students in Danish schools to connect with their counterparts in Kibera.

      I would like to get tips from the  "Teachers talking"  web meetings you have previously organised.
      The Scenario is; The teachers in Kenya have no equipment and would like to connect with the teachers in Denmark.
      Nafsi will manage the aspects of the meeting from the Kenyan side.
      The teachers in Kibera will provide a venue (probably one of the schools).
      Nafsi will provide equipement, we are thinking of using the Safaricom modem connected to a laptop then projecting the information from the monitor onto a big screen.
      Again, we are not sure if the safaricom service can take a higher data rate or if we would be faced by an "on and off " network
      Could you advice or guide us on how you have done it before to enable us get the best out of your event.

      Peace,

      Ken Owino
      Nafsi Africa Acrobats
      www.nafsiafrica.org

    • Dan Otedo
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2011
        Hello Ken and Pam,
        I have been thinking deeply how to get involved in this wonderful process.I have a tight schedule  aa ampreparing a group of teachers for the elearning Africa conference due for Daresaalam from the 24th - 27th this month.May be I will get there, and perch as a fly on the wall as the process goes on.

        Ken, could you please link me to James to see what stuff we could make out of this

        Dan OTEDO
        Kenya ICT Trust Fund. P.O box 8475-00100 Nairobi.
        Tel: +254203745911 .Mobile:+254720366094
        Email: dotedo@...

        ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Kennedy Owino <nafsiafricaacro@...> Date: 17 April 2011 09:50 Subject: Video Bridging

        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2011
          Dear Dan,

          Thanks for your response.

          I am so much inspired by your efforts towards providing platforms where teachers can become learners and at the same time teach each other.
          This is exactly one of my deep interests.
          I learn alot through working with teachers and you are just one of them.
          I hope we would share more on our overlapping interests especially the subject- ICT and it's positive purposes.
          You are welcome to perch on the wall like a grasshoper and use you antennas to gather the ongoings.

          I have c.c'd Edwin and James here who are coordinating the planned event in Kibera.
          They may need to consult you for expertise advice.

          Peace,

          Ken Owino
          Nafsi Africa Acrobats
          www.nafsiafrica.org