Ref Andrius Kulikauskas [livingbytruth] Seymour Papert and learning to learn/think

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26, 2011
      Hi Andrius and readers of my open letters at http://dadamac.posterous.com and LearningFromEachOther

      Andrius

      There are many interesting ideas and topics in your email copied below.  As I was reading it my mind responded to so much -  much more that I can possibly write here. I've highlighted areas I found of particular interest and  will just give some observations related to them. Maybe we will discuss further some other time.

      I've been interested in ICT in education since way back when "micro-computers" were just coming into existence (I was Pamela Fiddy then, not McLean) - this means that I was a fan of Papert's work on logo when it was happening. I was an early experimenter with his ideas - and friends of mine were involved in making the various "floor turtles" that brought the whole thing to life in ways beyond representations on the screen.

      I recognise and admire his work with computers in education as being very innovative. I also observed in various schools just how much of his ideas had actually filtered through into classroom practice. This means when I respond to what is written about his work I respond across the full spectrum - ranging from great appreciation and enthusiasm for his ideas at one extreme to cynicism at the other.

      However when I read about Papert and that he developed "constructionist learning" I have very mixed feeling. I know he was innovative regarding computer use in education (those of us who were around at the time of Mindstorms used to hang on his every word), but I don't have the same feeling about him as an innovator regarding education in general. The quotes that are ascribed to him regarding education are good, but (from the viewpoint of an infant and junior teacher trained in the 1970s) the educational theory seems to me to be nothing special - good, but not particularly original - it just reminds me of what we were taught to do.

      The quotes you give tie in with the essays that we wrote at college on such topics as "The child is the agent of his own learning" (that title seems permanently lodged in my brain). "Constructionist learning" ties in with our tutors' insistence that we should never give children second-hand experience of anything that we could conceivably have offered as a first-hand experience.

      When I started to teach we weren't directed by the national curriculum, and, although we were "in loco parentis" we weren't constrained by a risk-averse "health and safety gone mad" culture. We had all kinds of freedoms to take unexpected opportunities to learn. For instance I remember when the firemen came unexpectedly to test the fire-hydrant outside our school. I quickly took my class out to see what was happening. The firemen were great and let us watch and ask questions. It was a sunny day and so they made special "showers of rain" for us with the hose so that we could see rainbows. It was one more shared experience that the children and I could draw on in our subsequent thinking and talking and making sense of our world. Isn't that the kind of thins the "constructivists" are talking about - or am I missing something?

      I admit I haven't read that much about "constructivism" - but from what I have read, I can't see what is so special and new about it (though I'm ready to be shown). I'm not meaning to belittle Papert, but it seems to me that there is a wrong emphasis. I think of other great teachers too, and wonder if they are being equally recognised. I think fro instance of Zoltan Dienes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zolt%C3%A1n_P%C3%A1l_Dienes who was a wonderful teacher - in theory and in practice. I remember a day of watching him teach and the key thing that I learned from him. "Never teach a generalisation". He believed we should  give enough experience of specific examples so that the children could then generate their own generalisation - from which they could subsequently confidently generate their own additional specific examples. (This process can't be hurried - sometimes it can take months - and it is wonderful to watch the "aha!" moment when a generalisation dawns).

      Regarding OLPC - I don't often join in the OLPC debate (partly because I do respect some of the people involved and some of the good work that has come out of the project) but, with you Andrius, I will share my frustration at the way that some OLPC people seem to suggest they are the only people in the world to see the benefit of enabling children to learn by doing.

      End of my rant.

      I love the ideas of Kestas Augutis - all new to me - thank you. You never cease to impress me with the range of interesting people that you know

      I'm interested too in your sequences, hierarchies and networks - not just for personal learning and/or bodies of knowledge, but also in connection with how we structure knowledge online.

      You and I  definitely share an interest in thinking and learning. The short title of my final dissertation at college was "Think child!" - I explored what that meant in the context of various aspects of Bloom's taxonomy of educational objectives  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom%27s_Taxonomy

      When I did my OU degree that "Think child!" dissertation and my practical work as a teacher were both at the core of all my studies - which related to decision making, the ordering of information, systems, computers, artificial intelligence, and so on. That was followed by my theoretical and practical investigations of the role of computers in primary education.

      Much later of course, in Minciu Sodas, you gave me the opportunity to investigate ideas about teachers and learners and ICT - the changing roles - emerging systems of education in the 21st century. That interest (theoretical and practical) is still lurking and developing in my practical work with dadamac and my experiments at dadamac.net, posterous and elsewhere.

      Your email ends "Who would like to learn about learning? along with me?"

      Maybe it would be good to explore further with each other our overlapping interests in learning about learning.

      Pamela

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1 9:21 PM
        Pamela,

        Thank you for your letter. It's amazing, all that you've done. I'm glad
        that we might work together. You've written about your past. It would be
        great if you wrote such a letter about your future. I should likewise.
        Meanwhile, I've written a list of activities for organizing the kingdom
        of heaven:
        http://www.selflearners.net/Culture/
        Those are all places where we might overlap. In particular, I'm
        documenting and sharing ways of "figuring things out". I'll send out a
        letter that I've written about how I'm doing that in math.

        Peace,

        Andrius

        Andrius Kulikauskas, http://www.selflearners.net, ms@..., (773)
        306-3807, @selflearners

      • Edward Cherlin
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9 11:49 AM
          As I have learned it, the essence of Papert's Constructionism is that
          children learn best by making things that enable them to improve their
          internal models of the world, and then helping each other to make them
          better. This goes beyond direct experience as passive spectators, or
          even as active inquirers. It is also a model of how real-world work is
          supposed to be done.

          There is a range of such activities, including making physical
          objects, writing reports, creating portfolios, writing programs to
          tell the computer what to do, writing programs to tell a robot what to
          do, writing programs to make physical objects, and so on.

          I work with people, at One Laptop Per Child, Sugar Labs, and
          elsewhere, who are designing software and content to implement such
          ideas in the classroom. I find it essential to discuss ideas such as
          Constructionism in the context of real applications. Otherwise we have
          no way of knowing whether we are talking about the same subject.

          What versions of Constructionism have you seen? Most of the accounts I
          have read are highly confused and one-sided. There is a strong
          tendency to confuse Constructionism with Piaget's Constructivism,
          which is indeed part of Papert's proposal, or with any of the dozens
          of other theories under the same or similar names

          You wrote

          >> when I respond to what is written about his work I respond
          >> across the full spectrum - ranging from great appreciation and
          >> enthusiasm for his ideas at one extreme to cynicism at the other.

          I would advise you to ignore what others have written about Papert's
          work (even me), and to read his own writings.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructionist_learning

          Seymour Papert defined constructionism in a proposal to the National
          Science Foundation entitled Constructionism: A New Opportunity for
          Elementary Science Education

          http://nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward.do?AwardNumber=8751190

          as follows: "The word constructionism is a mnemonic for two aspects of
          the theory of science education underlying this project. From
          constructivist theories of psychology we take a view of learning as a
          reconstruction rather than as a transmission of knowledge. Then we
          extend the idea of manipulative materials to the idea that learning is
          most effective when part of an activity the learner experiences as
          constructing a meaningful product."

          As Papert and Idit Harel say at the start of Situating Constructionism,

          http://www.papert.org/articles/SituatingConstructionism.html

          "It is easy enough to formulate simple catchy versions of the idea of
          constructionism; for example, thinking of it as 'learning-by-making'.
          One purpose of this introductory chapter is to orient the reader
          toward using the diversity in the volume to elaborate—to construct—a
          sense of constructionism much richer and more multifaceted, and very
          much deeper in its implications, than could be conveyed by any such
          formula."

          I do not find Papert's ideas to be fundamentally new. I find his
          implementation of those ideas to be unlike anything else in the world,
          except for those of his students and co-workers. Not at the same level
          as the differences between Copernicus and Newton on planetary orbits,
          but of a similar kind.

          http://www.earthtreasury.org/
        • Samwel Kongere
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 10 12:36 AM
            Edward,
            Your input here is beneficial as i currently work with children with disability.
            Samwel.

          • Edward Cherlin
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 17 9:49 PM
              On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 03:36, Samwel Kongere <jambita1@...> wrote:
              > Edward,
              > Your input here is beneficial as i currently work with children with disability.

              I am legally disabled with ADHD, and my children have it, also. We
              have struggled endlessly with schools over our different learning
              styles. One tactic that my mother suggested successfully was to allow
              me to do work that was different from the standard course, and harder.
              This unfortunately was not acceptable at the schools my children
              attended.

              But then, all children suffer from a grievous disability. They are
              children, and adults do not take them seriously. I mean to change
              that, with the help of a lot of others.

              http://www.earthtreasury.org/
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 24 11:36 AM
                Hi Ed

                I love your vision. At some point I hope we are going to connect up properly. There is so much overlap in our interests, concerns and approaches. At present I'm not working directly with children - but I do still care about education.

                Pamela

                http://www.earthtreasury.org/

              • Edward Cherlin
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 24 6:41 PM
                  On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 14:36, Pamela McLean <pam54321@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Ed
                  >
                  > I love your vision. At some point I hope we are going to connect up properly. There is so much overlap in our interests, concerns and approaches.

                  Indeed. I look forward to it.

                  > At present I'm not working directly with children - but I do still care about education.

                  What are you working on?

                  http://www.earthtreasury.org/