Meet with David Kirsh? on designing workspaces

  • ms@auste.elnet.lt
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      Dear David Kirsh,

      I lead an online laboratory Minciu Sodas http://www.ms.lt for serving and
      organizing independent thinkers around the world. We met at UCSD just when I
      was starting out. We also had a long conversation on the plane once from
      Washington D.C. to San Diego. At that time I was working on an import/export
      standard for tools for thinking.

      We now have twenty working groups including one that I lead for developing
      conceptual frameworks and another that Pamela McLean leads for ICT for
      distance learning, especially where high-Internet-bandwidth and low-bandwidth
      people are trying to work together, as in Africa. We also have a working
      group on Global Villages which is now focusing on the roles that video
      bridges can play. I found your work again in a volume edited by Peter
      Gardenfors on conceptual spaces and ICT and I am in touch with him and also
      very interested in his work. I'm also interested in Robert Horn's work on
      visual language, the combining of words and images for most effective
      communication. Of course, we have many real life needs and solutions of our
      own for creating effective workspaces for organizing and exploring.

      I am very interested that our worldwide laboratory might serve you and your
      colleagues, for example, to conduct and record video bridges to generate
      material useful for you. More generally, we'd like to collect other kinds of
      first-hand accounts and make them available for all manner of explorations as
      well as outreach. Currently we are collecting "food stories" at
      http://www.myfoodstory.info

      Might we meet this Friday or Monday? I hope so. Please let me know! I will
      try to call you.

      I alert our working groups Living By Truth
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/livingbytruth/
      Learning From Each Other
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/learningfromeachother/
      and Global Villages
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/globalvillages/
      to your work:
      http://www.cogsci.ucsd.edu/~kirsh/

      +1 (773) 569-9862
      +1 (760) 753-3507
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
        Is there a link to David Kirsh's work?
        Also - where is the best place for me to become better informed about
        video bridges?
        This is a general interest question and also because I am wondering if
        there is anything we should try to experiment with
        when I am doing online sessions with the teachers at Fantsuam.
        Pam