Face-the-Facts Phonics Flash Cards & Self-Learners

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2011
      Pamela McLean, I liked very much your letter about Dadamac Learners
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/learningfromeachother/message/3147

      I've made progress thinking through what I want to do with myself, how
      I might make a living, and how does that relate to the Minciu Sodas of
      1998 to 2010. I'm shifting my outlook from "independent thinkers" to
      "self-learners" which I suppose may be very much related to what
      you're doing.

      I want to foster a culture of self-learners and a Self-Learners
      Network http://www.selflearners.net I want to share hundreds of ways
      of "figuring things out", especially as games. Some of these I hope
      to make a living from, especially as projects through
      http://www.kickstarter.com

      Today I submitted my first project, which is to publish Face-the-Facts
      Phonics Flash Cards http://www.face-the-facts.com which I created in
      1995. I share my proposal. I want to raise at least $900 in 30 days.

      I appreciate our thoughts, who might I reach out that might like these
      flash cards?

      Andrius Kulikauskas, ms@..., http://www.gospelmath.com, +1 (773) 306-3807

      --------------------------------
      What would you like to create?
      --------------------------------

      In 1994, I tutored a second grader who was smart, but hadn't yet
      learned how to read single-syllable words. I created a system of
      phonics flash cards for him to teach himself. There are 55 beginning
      sounds (b, bl, br...) and 500+ ending sounds (ill, it, ip, ...). Each
      week I introduced one of the 16 vowel sounds. At home, he'd practice
      melding beginning and ending sounds. His father would reward him if
      he read the cards fast enough. I also created games for him to play.
      I want to brand these cards as Face-the-Facts Phonics Flash Cards,
      design them so they look nice, create and test at least 8 fun games
      with them, write a booklet and videos which explain how to learn and
      play with them, and make it all available in the Public Domain.

      ------------------------------
      What rewards would you offer? People love limited editions,
      one-of-a-kinds, and fun experiences (parties, screenings, balloon
      rides!). What you offer and how you price it is completely up to you
      ------------------------------

      For contributions up to $30, I would offer rewards such as: an
      electronic PDF of the cards (about 25 pages) and booklet; the cards
      printed out with an inkjet printer on card stock; the booklet printed
      out; small or large poster of the card system; a phonics party in
      Chicago at the Ghetto Gallery; an online party by Skype; a weekly
      newsletter with progress reports, games and puzzles.

      For contributions from $30 to $300, I would offer: custom versions of
      the cards with pictures or portraits that I draw (I'm an artist);
      tutoring by video Skype or in person; a series of Skype conference
      calls; an email group with games and tips; appearances in our videos.

      For contributions above $300, I would offer: a presentation at a
      school; materials for a class of 30; an online version of a game; a
      special edition of the booklet; a custom game; a custom video for them
      with St.Benedict the African's gospel choir (where I sing); work with
      children in inner city Chicago, Uganda or elsewhere.

      Where can we find out more about you and your project?

      The current version of the cards (which I made in 1995 with a
      Macintosh) are available for download at http://www.face-the-facts.com
      You'll also find there a 10 minute video that Sasha Mrkailo and I
      made with his children in Serbia where we show how to use the cards.
      More than 2000 people saw the video and we received some encouraging
      comments.

      I'm currently active online at: http://www.gospelmath.com From 1998
      to 2010, I organized the Minciu Sodas laboratory http://www.ms.lt,
      including Worknets http://www.worknets.org and Pyramid of Peace
      http://www.pyramidofpeace.net I'm currently starting Self-Learners
      Network http://www.selflearners.net The Minciu Sodas sites aren't
      what they once were, so here's my resume:
      http://www.gospelmath.com/upload/andriuskulikauskasresume.doc
    • Edward Cherlin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2011
        You might want to have a look at Caleb Gattegno's Words in Color
        literacy and foreign language teaching program, as described in The
        Silent Way. Here, for example, is a link to his color-coded charts for
        English-language spelling.

        http://thesolutions-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_25&a=1&products_id=84&osCsid=5df17dd0cbd35990cf05d7de8cc5e02e

        Click to see larger chart images.

        I have just started a discussion with them over making these materials
        part of the OLPC/Sugar/ccLearn ecology, in the 40 or so languages they
        are working on.

        http://www.earthtreasury.org/
      • ms@ms.lt
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 12, 2011
          Edward, Thank you for alerting me to Words in Color.

          Unfortunately, I got a negative reply from Kickstarter.com, which I
          include below. They won't let me raise money for the Face-the-Facts
          Phonics Flash Cards project through their site. I don't really know
          why they didn't think my project would be a good fit. I'm very
          discouraged because I was hoping this small project might succeed and
          lead to more ambitious projects.

          There are some other similar crowdsourcing sites:
          http://www.rockethub.com, http://invested.in,
          http://www.indiegogo.com, but Kickstarter seemed the most prominent.

          I'm reevaluating what to do, what to try.

          Andrius Kulikauskas, Minciu Sodas, http://www.selflearners.net,
          http://www.gospelmath.com, ms@..., +1 (773) 306-3807

          ----------------------

          Quoting Edward Cherlin <echerlin@...>:
          > You might want to have a look at Caleb Gattegno's Words in Color
          > literacy and foreign language teaching program, as described in The
          > Silent Way. Here, for example, is a link to his color-coded charts for
          > English-language spelling.
          >
          > http://thesolutions-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_25&a=1&products_id=84&osCsid=5df17dd0cbd35990cf05d7de8cc5e02e
          >
          > Click to see larger chart images.
          >
          > I have just started a discussion with them over making these materials
          > part of the OLPC/Sugar/ccLearn ecology, in the 40 or so languages they
          > are working on.

          -----------------

          Michael McGregor commented on your Kickstarter submission:

          Hi Andrius,

          Thank you for taking the time to share your idea. Unfortunately, this
          isn't the right fit for Kickstarter. We receive many project proposals
          daily and review them all with great care and appreciation. We see a
          wide variety of inspiring ideas, and while we value each one's
          uniqueness and creativity, Kickstarter is not the right platform for
          all of them. We wish you the best of luck as you continue to pursue
          your endeavor.

          Best,

          Mike

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 16, 2011
            Dear Andrius (and readers of my open letters at http://dadamac.posterous.com )

            I share your email email copied below. I agree there is great overlap between what we are doing. You know that I always saw Minciu Sodas as a kind of  "alternative online non-accrediting university",  and I saw you as a great learner, an innovative thinker (and doer) and also an enabler of other people's learning.

            Regarding your thoughts on using kickstarter. I support that idea, but think you are thinking of much bigger rewards than is usual (which could cause you to finish off financially worse off rather than better off through your proposed use of kickstarter). I suggest you look at the kind of rewards other people have offered - I think for example of Vinay and his funding of the Future we Deserve - the only other example I am really familiar with.

            Also I want to apologise - I have always struggled with the pronunciation and spelling of your name, especially letters "a" and "u" in your your surname and I seem to have misremembered the spellling at some point and repeatedly referred to you wrongly at dadamac.net and in posts to posterous. I will not be able to correct it all but will try to do better in future.

            Pamela