Lessons for Kwanzaa from Pyramid of Peace

  • Samwel Kongere
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2010
      Ok thanks Andrius & All,
      The lessons for Kwanzaa from pyramid of peace! Good, we were sitting down with Ken Owino at one time in one city slum in Nairobi and decided to have a pyramid of people which changed abruptly to "pyramid of peace" at envergence of election violence in Kenya 2008. Our values at MS Lab had the purpose and goal for peace, start by making a list of all the goals that values upheld. The list doesn't have to be in any particular order, but it is sometimes helpful to put them down in logical in logical groups. The result will be a very long list of goals like values the pyramid of peace project we underwent unrecognized. And there is nothing more frutrating or discrouging than to presend a long of items and being asked to rank them in values, say one through hundred! The mind can't hold all the information.
      Besides, you are comparing each item with the other 99, and as soon as you identified one goal as number one value (motivation through sacrifice), it automatically means that all the rest are less than one. And life doesn't work that way, does it? Motivation and Personality.
      Therefore: there is no reason why we have one value that will make our top priority. We are more likely to have a number of goals/goals, all of which we consider 'number one'.
      There is 'must do' or very high value, 'should do' or medium value, 'can do' or low value.
      Ok Andrius, i wish you well in the Kwanzaa Lessons for bringing the pyramid of peace to another limelight and audience" can we, make 'pyramid of peace trust' international?
      Samwel.

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 2010
        Janet Feldman, Pamela McLean, Samwel Kongere,

        Thank you for your thoughtful responses to my project for the
        African-American cultural holiday Kwanzaa to present and consider what
        we learned with the Pyramid of Peace to avert genocide in 2008 in Kenya.

        I did get a booth (for $350) at the Kwanzaa festival at the Malcolm X
        community college. The festival is seven days long; tomorrow will be
        the third day. It's quite pleasant in that the booth holders around me
        have become friendly, even though I am unusual here as a "pale-skinned"
        person, as my friend David Ellison-Bey would say. They enjoy my art.
        So far I drew about sixteen portraits, letting people take photos of the
        portraits for free, and buy the originals if they like. In this way, I
        sold two originals for a total of $16. So it's not promising as a way
        to make a living, at least not of itself.

        I'm taking the opportunity to create a larger project. One direction is
        to depict people's deepest values as "superheroes" so that children and
        others might better identify with them. I can create "playing cards"
        and also make spaces where I can draw in people's faces, or they can put
        in a photo of their face, thus taking them up personally. I have a
        printer and a camera with me. I hope to complete some such project by
        the end of the festival so that something useful comes out of it.

        I was thinking of painting a backdrop that represented a crosssection of
        Kenya from Lake Victoria to the Rift Valley to Nakuru, Naivasha and
        Nairobi, with lakes, villages, roads, farmland and slums, where I could
        talk about various episodes we went through, perhaps also connecting
        with cyberspace and episodes in the South Side of Chicago where I gained
        practice in nonviolent engagement. But I didn't have much time to
        prepare and the Pyramid of Peace doesn't seem too relevant for me right
        now. What's relevant for me is what I'm going to do with my own life,
        how will I apply myself to note and share the ways of figuring things
        out as the basis for a culture of truth, the kingdom of heaven, how will
        I work with God, and how will I make a living in this world? I intend
        to explore these questions with drawings and words and engage others to
        think alongside me about their own lives. Perhaps you online might like
        to also.

        This year I stopped my efforts as a social networker and got a job as a
        tutor to regroup, start repaying my loans ($130,000) and think through
        what I might do in the long run so that I might work from the Lithuanian
        countryside, support a family, but also apply my thinking to organize
        the kingdom of heaven. This fall, however, I stopped getting more
        students from my employer because I think and say that it's
        counterproductive for parents and students to focus on homework and
        tests. I need to find another way to make a living, which for me is
        hard, because I've grown very skeptical that there is honest work, at
        least any kind that would allow me to earn $4,000 a month so that I
        might make my loan payments and pay off my loans.

        Meanwhile, God keeps telling me to do what's relevant for him, which is
        applying my many creative talents to express and share the hundreds of
        ways of figuring things out that I've noted this summer and fall in
        Lithuanian. A nice example is my Christmas card "Do you recognize
        Jesus?" which I made of portraits that I drew
        http://www.gospelmath.com/upload/DoYouRecognizeJesusNew.png
        It illustrates one way of figuring things out, which is listening to a
        person as if God were speaking through them. I'd like to do hundreds of
        such projects. This one was also a rather successful fundraiser for my
        church choir, as 14 people donated $25 each for me to draw and include them.

        I don't know if God is going to lead me to bankruptcy and even
        homelessness, which would not be so bad if I could make sense of it. So
        I'm going to think through and make explicit the logic of my principles
        and also engage God more so that I understand what might he want.

        Today I purchased a book "Gamestorming" by Dave Gray, Sunni Brown and
        James Macanufo. http://www.gogamestorm.com It's relevant for me because
        games, I think, are the ideal form for communicating the ways of
        figuring things out. They focus on games that unleash business
        innovation in collaborative settings, whereas my own ways are generally
        activities that I do on my own.

        I look forward to sharing my thoughts as I develop them. I welcome your
        letters likewise.

        +1 (773) 306-3807
        ms@...
        http://www.gospelmath.com

        ---------------------------

[...]

        ------------------------

        Hi Andrius

        I wish you well at the celebration of Kwanzaa, sharing lessons from
        Pyramid of Peace. I have copied your letter below.

        I agree that Pyramid of Peace (PoP) was a wonderful initiative - both
        for what it did and for how it did it. The archive (of all the emails
        and the chats and the fund transfers) is outstanding. There are so many
        lessons to be learned from it - and relevant to so many different
        disciplines.

        Academics and "us"

        I think PoP should be a topic for serious academic research (and I
        believe that the value of its archive will be recognised at some future
        point). There are so many lessons to learn from it. However I seriously
        wonder how long it will be before the academic community sees the
        research potential of PoP (and other on the ground initiatives).

        I was at ICTD2010 last week - with a personal agenda of "better links
        between academics and practitioners". There were interesting discussions
        there about collaboration - but it seemed that the practitioners were
        reaching out to academics far more than the other way around. I am
        learning lessons about this and increasingly recognise that even if
        academics do wish to engage with practitioners the systemic barriers
        preventing them from so doing are considerable.

        Funding mechanisms

        I re-learned what I already knew - that academics, like many others,
        are trapped by funding mechanisms that - from my view point - are
        archaic and which reward people for answering "the wrong kind of
        questions" and measuring "the wrong outcomes" - far too much support for
        "Hooray for my thingy" type of work (ICTD2010 - Research needs from a
        developing world perspective and ICTD2010- Let's Bridge Those Divides
        by Pamela McLean and Dadamac - the Internet-enabled alternative to
        top-down development )

        By the way - the "funding mismatch" is why, at an early point I
        abandoned my own attempts to get any formal direct funding. I decided it
        would be less frustrating if I just plodded on with no funding but
        plenty of freedom. Obviously if I saw a funding opportunity for what I
        do I would take it - but I am not wasting time trying to sqeeze myself
        into funding strait-jackets that don't even come close to fitting. I
        stayed with the balancing act of minimising my paid work (and my related
        discretionary income) in order to maximise the discretionary time I had
        available to spend on my "information-related activities - learning by
        doing and discussing with others". (I didn't do it as extremely as you
        did. I was more financially cautious in the continuing attention I gave
        to a certain minimum of paid work.) Regarding funding I didn't want to
        waste time chasing money to do things that would be fixed in advance in
        some tick list that never really reflected what I was trying to do anyhow.

        Of course we need money, and it is frustrating to see it go on things
        that we don't value, especially when it goes on things that seem to us
        to be a complete waste of financial resources (and a waste of brain
        power too in the case of academia) - but until those with money start to
        see value in our wealth of information there is little we can do - other
        than to live as best we can in the two parallel societies:

        * the information and knowledge one (where we continue to get
        richer and richer in information and knowledge)
        * the material one - where we need to engage in ways that at least
        cover our essential material needs

        Peer groups

        I also understood, before ICTD2010, that academics seem trapped in a
        system which is heavily reliant on "academics impressing each other" -
        publishing in peer reviewed journals, writing in each others books,
        going to each others conferences, getting more and more visible in the
        academic world.

        To a visitor like me, the academic world seems a weird mixture of
        co-operation (creating and sharing knowledge) and competition (competing
        for funding and for personal career advancement). I don't really
        understand it.

        I do know that in "my world" - learning online, in a self directed way,
        it is a world of sharing openly (to the nth degree in your case:
        including very personal hopes and circumstances, more cautiously in my
        own, sharing knowledge and my learning journey). We do not have
        peer-review where information is only shared if our "peers" agree that
        our information is "worthy of publication" (although we do have some
        moderation, to keep out spammers and other 'inappropriate content").

        Instead of filtering through peer review we share our information freely
        in online spaces where it costs nothing to share information - and (I
        would suggest) our "peers" are the people who have an interest that
        overlaps our own. If "our peers" value what we write then they will read
        it, and share it, and comment on it. If they don't then it will fade
        away. It may be that sometimes we are only writing to ourselves. That is
        okay too, if by making the effort to put something in writing we learn
        something that we did not know before.

        As a learner, interested in exploring new "socio-tech" knowledge and
        insights, I loved the freedom of Minciu Sodas as a place to learn. I
        think that, for me, the greatest value of Minciu Sodas was the fact that
        I was encouraged to "think aloud" - without having to frame carefully
        what I was going to say beforehand, and without having to find someone
        else's discussion group that (more or less) overlapped some portion of
        my own interests and concerns. My peer group was simply people who
        wanted to exchange information with me. (At some point Andrius I would
        like to explore the overlaps between our past shared work in Minciu
        Sodas, and your developing work now, and my present and future work in
        Dadamac.)

        Separate disciplines

        I now discover (through the ICTD2010 keynote on Wednesday morning) that
        it is difficult for academics to co-operate with each other, if they are
        in different disciplines - never mind trying to connect with people
        outside who have practical overlapping interests. It seems that people
        in one discipline write to one kind of journal, and people in another
        discipline write to another kind of journal, and so on, and that
        somehow, "never the twain shall meet". If that is so, then it is not
        surprising that there seems to be little connection between ICTD -
        research and ICT - real-life, except through a few exceptional individuals.

        Quoting and answering Andrius

        Andrius' email (copied in full below) ended "What lessons have we
        learned, large and small, thinking back? What stories would we like to
        tell? Who would we like to hear from? What creativity might we
        contribute to express our stories? I will tell my story, and certainly,
        I hope you might tell yours, likewise, in the Public Domain, for all to
        share creatively.

        I'm glad to hear from us!"

        Sorry I have not really addressed your questions Andrius - I just
        responded to the "glad to hear from us".

        You may also be glad to know, regarding openness, that session 4108 at
        ICTD2010, organised by Laurent Elder of IDRC-CDRI was on "Open
        Development" - they are moving away from ICTD programmes to Open
        Development programmes. See www.idrc.ca/en/ev-131099-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html
        and www.idrc.ca/en-133699-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html. So maybe things are
        starting to move in a direction where there will be more overlap between
        researchers and open practitioners. They were talking about trying to
        get people to make "open" the default rather than the exception.

        Pamela

        Posted to Dadamac's Posterous by Pamela McLean email
        pamela.mclean@....

        For more about people or organisations named in my posts try -
        http://www.dadamac.net/network

        Dadamac - Integrating Education and Development in Africa and Online. We
        introduce people. We help them to work together or to learn from each
        other. How can we help you?

        Replies - Respond publicly by posting a comment on Dadamac's posterous
        or privately by emailing me
        Did you get this "open letter" sent to you as a personal email? If
        so.you may wonder what happens when you reply. If you "reply to all"
        including post@... then you will get a reply from posterous
        (inviting you to use posterous). Your reply will only appear on
        posterous if you also post it as a comment.
        Privacy and Openness - I only share my own emails on posterous (or ones
        I have been given permission to share). I often post my own emails as
        open letters, for future reference or general interest.
        Your email address - Even if I post to you and to posterous at the same
        time, your email address will not show on posterous.

        Twitter - http://twitter.com/pamela_mclean and #dadamac Website -
        http://www.dadamac.net