Jesus teaching with authority (was Re: [learningfromeachother] Thinkers in Foreign Policy and Economics)

  • Edward Cherlin
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2010
      On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 23:54, Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> wrote:

      > (As a side note, I'm looking for a quote in the Bible that says Jesus
      > "wasn't much to look at", but when he spoke, he spoke with authority.
      > Does anyone know of such a quote in the Gospel?  There's a passage in
      > Isaiah 53:2 about the Messiah, but I'm looking for something in the New
      > Testament.)

      These could be part of what you are looking for. There is plenty of
      astonishment at his teaching in the Gospels, but I don't remember any
      passage relating any of this to his appearance.

      Luke 2

      46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the
      temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and
      asking them questions.

      47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.

      Mark 1:22 (King James Version)

      And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one
      that had authority, and not as the scribes.

      http://www.earthtreasury.org/
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 10, 2010
        Edward, thank you for the quotes. Yes, those are relevant, but I'm
        looking for a quote that I recall which specifically talks about his
        unremarkable appearance. Thank you, Andrius