Thinkers in Foreign Policy and Economics

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2010
      On 12/01/2010 05:18 PM, Perry Recker wrote:
      > Andrius
      > If you get a chance to pick up a copy, I think you may find the
      > December, 'Annual Special Issue' of FP (Foreign Policy) particularly
      > interesting.
      > At least certain parts and aspects of it.
      > In particular:
      > p. 82-3 the profile of Ory Kolloh (person #59) and her Ushahidi
      > project in Kenya
      > and the ad for the 24 half hour lectures by Arthur T. Benjamin on the
      > Joy of Mathematics [p.64] published by The Great Courses...Teaching
      > Company.
      > /*Perry Recker*
      > /*cell: 773-510-2564
      > h 708-597-0560
      > perigraphica@...*

      Perry,

      Thank you for alerting me to the Foreign Policy magazine Top 100 Global
      Thinkers.
      http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/11/30/the_fp_top_100_global_thinkers
      Ushahidi started at the same time as our Pyramid of Peace during the
      post-election turmoil in Kenya. I asked that they note peace efforts on
      their map of Kenyan atrocities, and when they did, we provided more than
      half of the entries, which came from our Kenyan participants who risked
      their lives on-the-ground. I'm not aware of anybody ever finding us
      through Ushahidi. But Ushahidi has won many, many awards. It
      frustrated me greatly to see that reality.

      I found some links to Arthur T. Benjamin's videos:
      http://www.ted.com/talks/arthur_benjamin_does_mathemagic.html
      http://www.teach12.com/tgc/courses/Course_Detail.aspx?cid=1411
      http://www.math.hmc.edu/~benjamin/
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_T._Benjamin
      It's very helpful to see how he approaches math with enthusiasm. He's a
      good showman. For example, it's impressive when he squares two-digit
      numbers instantaneously, but actually, there's only 90 such problems so
      I think it's not too hard to simply memorize all the answers. He goes
      on from there, and he has a book which I should look at:
      http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Mental-Math-Mathemagicians-Calculation/dp/0307338401/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197265339&sr=8-1
      I think it might be great motivation for learning "math facts". It's
      also very helpful to see the 24 topics he chose for his video series.
      Thank you, this helps as I work on my own math book.

      Perry, thank you again for your book list on Dutch Calvinist economic
      thinkers and others who have thought about Jesus's vision of the kingdom
      of heaven. I share your list again. I looked for the books at the
      Chicago Public Library, but I didn't find a single book by Bob
      Goudzwaard in their catalogue, except I think for "Capitalism and
      progress", and that wasn't available.

      Actually, my priority now is practically, how to make a living in a way
      that would be compatible with participating in an open economy
      generating content in the Public Domain? I made a Christmas card based
      on portraits I drew this year in Chicago, "Do you recognize Jesus?"
      http://www.gospelmath.com/upload/DoYouRecognizeJesus2.png
      I'm doing it as a fundraiser for my choir at church. It's the kind of
      work I'd like to do - something that I believe is directly good -
      serving God's vision - and in particular, communicating one of the ways
      of "figuring things out" - in this case, paying additional attention to
      what a person is saying, as if they were a stranger who God chose to
      speak through. I got a street performer's license and tomorrow I'll go
      downtown and see if I'm able to engage people by singing, drawing,
      teaching and if I collect any donations.

      (As a side note, I'm looking for a quote in the Bible that says Jesus
      "wasn't much to look at", but when he spoke, he spoke with authority.
      Does anyone know of such a quote in the Gospel? There's a passage in
      Isaiah 53:2 about the Messiah, but I'm looking for something in the New
      Testament.)

      I got a website http://www.chatham.biz which I plan to develop to
      promote the 75th street business district, a remarkable string of
      businesses in Chicago's South Side, the Chatham neighborhood. Pastor
      Matthew of St.Columbanus is friendly and Stephanie Hart of Brown Sugar
      Bakery is very supportive. I'm looking for practical ways to
      participate in an economic engine for the kingdom of heaven.

      Andrius Kulikauskas, Gospel Math, http://www.gospelmath.com, (773) 306-3807

      Critical Christian socio-economic analysis and theory and worldview
      –Reading List

      Goudzwaard, Bob.

      Dutch economist, social theorist, former MP for CDA (Christian
      Democratic Appeal/Party), and retired professor of the Vrije
      Universiteit, Amsterdam; wrote PhD thesis on externalites and certain
      environmental ‘goods’ such as clean air and clean water as ‘priceless
      scarcities.’ Many affinities in his thought with those of Herman Daly,
      B.F. Schumacher, J.A. Tinbergen (sp?) Has consulted for world bank and
      world council of churches. Acquaintance of Desmond Tutu, Maurice F.
      Strong, and others.

      -----. Capitalism and progress: a diagnosis of western society.
      Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1980.
      -----. Idols of Our Time. Downers Grove: Intervarsity Press, 1984.
      Early example of treating global ideologies as false spirits that
      operate both hegemonically and in a dialectic conflict with each other.
      -----. Beyond Poverty and Affluence: Toward and Economy of Care; with
      Harry DeLange. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1995.
      An attempt to articulate a positive economic ‘theory’ or worldview
      vision from a Christian perspective – but based on a critical ‘paradox’
      analysis first articulated in Capitalism and Progress, 1980.
      -----. Hope In Troubled Times: A New Vision for Confronting Global
      Crises; with Mark Vander Vennen,; David Van Heemst; Grand Rapids:
      Baker Academic, 2007.
      Updated and more nuanced analysis and presentation of
      ideological-critical analysis of ‘Idols…’(1984) and ’Beyond poverty…’(1995)
      -----. Globalization and the Kingdom of God. Baker Book House, 2001.
      Based on 1999 Abraham Kuyper lecture for the Center for Public
      Justice, with responses from Brian Fikkert, Larry Reed, and Adolfo
      Garcia de la Sienra.

      Development of a critical and nuanced (not over-simplified) Christian
      worldview.

      Creation Regained by Al Wolters. (Eerdmans, 1985.) Benchmark/key early
      text for articulation of a christian worldview rooted in respectful, but
      non-traditional interpretation of Judeo-Christian scriptures.

      Transforming Vision…by Brian J. Walsh and J. Richard Middleton (IVP,
      1986.) Application of ‘Creation, Fall, Redemption’ worldview in
      application to modern socio-cultural realities and trends, especially in
      popular culture.

      Truth is stranger than it used to be: Biblical faith in a postmodern
      age; by Brian J. Walsh and J. Richard Middleton (IVP, 1995.) Expanded
      critical Christian analysis modernism-postmodernism dialectic –
      especially as expressed in terms of popular culture.

      Worldview: The History of a Concept, by David K. Naugle. (Eerdmans ,
      2002.) Scholarly historical treatment of worldview as a philosophical
      concept.

      Naming the Elephant: Worldview as a Concept by James W. Sire,
      (InterVarsity Press, 2004.) More critical reflections on personal growth
      and development as a thinker and author writing about worldviews from an
      evangelical Christian perspective.

      For the historical and philosophical underpinnings of most of these
      works and other authors and writings in the same tradition of Christian
      thought and reflection on human life in the world, see:

      All of Life Redeemed http://www.allofliferedeemed.co.uk/ is
      bibliographical Website for scholarly and popular authors and titles
      working in the ‘reformational’ Christian, or dutch-calvinist tradition.

      For a basic introduction to the philosophical theory of the dutch
      ‘reformational philosophy’ consult
      Contours of a Christian Philosophy by L. Kalsbeek, translated and edited
      by Bernard and Josina Zylstra. Toronto: Wedge Publishing Foundation,
      1975. Original dutch title is De Wijsbegeerte der Wetsidee: Proeve van
      een christelijke filosophie, Amsterdam: Buiten and Schipperheijn, 1970.

      Compiled by Perry Recker
      Updated November 17, 2010
      perigraphica@...