Kickstarter for Gospel Math and Worknets archive

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2010
      Thank you to everybody who participated at Minciu Sodas and Worknets
      from 1998 to 2010. More than 1,000 people wrote us letters and hundreds
      more participated at our wiki and our chatroom. We also got to meet
      each other every now and then.

      This year, I gave up trying to make that work as a business. In May, I
      moved to Chicago to work as a tutor. Now, I wish to share what I'd like
      to do next. I have two projects in mind (a book "Gospel Math" and a
      Worknets archive) that I would like to do through the funding platform
      http://www.kickstarter.com I share my thoughts at John Rogers's
      working group Cyfranogi, Pamela McLean's Learning From Each Other, and
      my own Living By Truth.

      I'm only working 18 hours a week right now. I have time to look for
      more income, something that would be more relevant to my life and that
      ultimately I could do from Lithuania.

      I would like to support self-learning. I have a Ph.D. in Math. I was
      always taught math as a hodge podge of techniques. Instead, I want to
      think of it as a language of a few dozen deep ideas. As a teacher at
      UCSD and AUBiH, and as a tutor at Ivy League Tutoring, I have fleshed
      out parts of that language. An idea like "A right triangle is half a
      rectangle" is the basis for trigonometry. "Four times a right triangle
      is the difference of two squares" leads directly to the Pythagorean
      theorem. "Addition means combine like units but list different units"
      explains why you can add 3 feet + 2 feet = 5 feet, 3/7 + 2/7 = 5/7, 3x +
      2x = 5x, but must simply list 3 feet + 2 inches or 3/7 + 2/9 or 3x + 2y.

      I've looked around to see who is already doing what. I was amazed to
      learn about Tom Henderson's "Punk Math" book project at Kickstarter:
      http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1541803748/punk-mathematics
      He's a math graduate student / improv comedian. With a wonderful energy
      he's co-hosting a podcast "Math for Primates"
      http://www.mathforprimates.com which makes math interesting by focusing
      on what humans are interested in, namely, other humans. He's unifying
      all kinds of advanced subject matter around his own interest in game
      theory. He's presenting this as "punk math" by making visceral the
      sensitivity that math and punk rock share. Punkers rage about society's
      problems; math solves them. Anybody can play punk music; anybody can do
      math. Tom went to http://www.kickstarter.com to try to raise $2,400 so
      that he could write a "Punk Math" book. He actually raised $28,701 from
      1,022 backers. That's fantastic!

      I was struck by Tom's success. I have a different set of strengths. I
      believe that his equation "math = punk" made his own strengths
      visceral. That's what people need to hear. How can I do likewise?

      Very simply, I realized that I cherish gospel music. I sing in the choir
      at St. Benedict the African. What would it mean to say that
      "math=gospel"? I feel in them both:
      * a joyful deliverance (self-learning, worship) from an abusive
      environment (factory-like schoolwork, slavery)
      * traditions rooted in the Public Domain
      * encouragement of participation
      * deep ideas simply expressed
      * a love of principles
      * purity of heart and mind
      * openness to God, the absolute and infinite
      * a culture of living, growing, learning forever
      "Math=Gospel" lets me express such a sensitivity. It's my own outlook
      and it opens up a space for my life's many threads including my
      philosophy, my work with God, the kingdom of heaven, my art, my friends,
      my life in Chicago's Black American community and the youth choir in my
      village in Lithuania's countryside. I spoke to my housemates and they
      thought that "Gospel Math" was quite intriguing. I asked God and God
      was most supportive.

      I purchased http://www.gospelmath.com Over the next month or so I want
      to put together an outstanding "Gospel Math" project and then seek
      funding through http://www.kickstarter.com I want to create learning
      materials in the Public Domain, which could include a short book,
      videos, worksheets, art, tutoring onsite and online and much more. I
      would like to fit this within an open economy that includes people
      already working on open source math books and others who'd like to
      join. I ask for our thoughts and help.

      I want to try out http://www.kickstarter.com with a smaller project
      first. I imagine that Gospel Math will open up a new chapter in my
      life. I would like to make available an archive of Minciu Sodas /
      Worknets which came before. I would truly appreciate support from all
      of us because the archive of our 35,000+ letters, our 4,000+ wiki pages
      and our years of chat is a testimony to our many achievements. The
      archive would be thousands of read-only pages with headers that link to
      our many current projects. I would add search tools and organize
      everything nicely. It would also be a good time to do interviews and
      summaries regarding our efforts in the Pyramid of Peace and other
      projects. It's a good time to reflect on our culture and share what
      each of us have learned. The archive will point to our future projects
      and we can point back to the archive whenever we reflect about our work.

      Would you contribute $10 or $100 or so for such a Worknets archive? I
      want to raise at least $1,000 for my work to organize the many pages and
      $1,000 to assure that they stay up on the Internet at worknets.org for
      at least the next 10 years. I believe that if we think of good rewards
      that people want, then we could raise more, perhaps enough for a team.

      Please write!

      Gospel Math
      http://www.gospelmath.com
      +1 (773) 306-3807
    • Samwel Kongere
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2010
        Ok Andrius,
        This can be fantastic but i'm not mathematician' but righ now concentrating with the women and make some math data to avail the right answer' why female girls does not complete school as compared to boys?
        Samwel.

      • Kennedy Owino
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 19, 2010
          Hi Andrius,

          I am happy to read your posting again after such a long time i would say.
          You always inspire me with your profound ideas, determination and the positive energy.
          Gospel and maths, i have never imagined about that.
          It sounds really great.
          I wish to encourage you and support you the much i can.
          And i will always appreciate Minciu Sodas as a platform and school that helped me a great deal to capture my dreams and aspiration, and demystify some negative perceptions and convictions i once held regarding life, love, boundaries and our dear planet.

          How can i make my contribution to the worknet archive?
          Should i remit my contribution through the kickstart project?
          Great projects and ideas were discussed and done, for me it would be a great reward if there is an archive i can reffer back to for motivation, and to help me in the meantime project or Journey.

          Peace,

          Ken owino
          Nafsi Africa Acrobats
          www.nafsiafrica.org

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 21, 2010
            Hi Andrius

            I add my voice to those of my Minciu Sodas friends Kennedy Owino, Samwel Kongere, and Franz Nahrada, who have already replied  to your email about doing an archiving project and funding it through Kickstarter (I have copied a shortened version of your email below and highlighted it).

            I would support the creation of the archive for various reasons.

            Not philanthropy

            My contribution to the archive project will not be a part of my normal charitable giving.

            In some ways it is hard for me to say openly, in front of so many of our friends in Africa, that I will respond to your request, when I do not normally respond to direct individual requests for financial help made through Minciu Sodas. People often ask for individual help with all kinds of urgent family and community expenses. Perhaps they will wonder how can I support you if I have not supported all of them? It is not something I can easily explain. Will people understand if I say it is partly because I am not in Minciu Sodas as a philanthropist? (What if I try to explain that there are some places, and people, in Nigeria that I simply do not want to go back to because of the mismatch between who I am and who people expect me to be in terms of deep pockets, and responding to immediate needs? Will they understand then? Perhaps only those who know both cultures can understand.)

            Even if I was a philanthropist and I had the deep pockets necessary to respond to repeated requests for financial help through Minciu Sodas would I do so?  Would I respond to all requests? How would I judge between them? Would Minciu Sodas be the best channel to direct my charitable giving? I don't know.

            Minciu Sodas was home to me, for my non-formal post-graduate studies

            I came to Minciu Sodas for the opportunity to think. In some ways there was huge overlap, between your views of Mincius Sodas, Andrius,  and mine, but in other ways we had differences, which we sometimes discussed. You (its founder) saw it as a laboratory and a potential business, while I (a participant) saw it as a kind of non-formal university. For me it was an online home and study centre for self-directed learners - place where I was encouraged to "think out loud". Other people in Minciu Sodas found other things there.

            I found it to be true to the name you gave to it "Minciu Sodas" - Orchard of Thoughts. I wrote some of my thoughts  while I was there, but, more importantly to me, I participated in and observed the amazing, groundbreaking, global, online community that you created and nurtured - like a farmer creating and tending an orchard.  I believe you will see it bearing fruit, but perhaps not in the ways that you originally expected and hoped.

            Support from alumni

            It is perfectly normal for universities to approach alumni for financial support (especially when the university is building a new library, or buying some precious archive, or setting up some new research facility). Given I see myself in that relationship to Minciu Sodas I am happy to be approached to contribute to your work on the archive (which I see as a combination of library, archive, and innovative research tool).

            I will contribute to the archive fund in appreciation of what Minciu Sodas has given me, and because I believe it will be a unique and valuable resource, both to those who were part of it, and also as a mine of information for researchers  who come later - especially if they are interested in socio-technology and the development of successful online communities.

            Additional information

            You have also asked for additional information from us about the value of Minciu Sodas. I cannot begin to do justice to that here. Maybe we can have a separate conversation (or series of conversations) about it. I would also welcome the chance to explore ways in which things that I am doing, planning, and thinking about now may complement things you are doing, planning, and thinking about.

            Pamela

            On 19 November 2010 05:16, Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> wrote:

[...]

            (snip)