Re: ml4d workshop in Nairobi: May 24th

  • Kennedy Owino
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2010

      Hi Yishay,

      Thanks for your response, and your farther profound ideas on other options that may be available for me to benefit from your workshops.

      It would be great if you could get a host for a similar workshop here in Denmark.

      I discussed the idea with my teacher Elise (c.c'd) who is in direct contact with the organization responsible for the mlearning project.

      The Organisation is called vifin and the project's theme is to help foreiners in intergration.

      Elise would share more or probably link you up with the people involved for sharing possibilities of the different approaches and ideas.

      I hope more positive strides would be made from such connections.

      Best Regards,

      Ken Owino

      Nafsi Africa Acrobats

      www.nafsiafrica.org

      Subject: Re: ml4d workshop in Nairobi: May 24th

      (Pam - feel free to forward this where you see fit.)

      Ken,

      I'm truely sorry you can't make it. I'm not sure about the video conferencing capacity at the iHub, and also - the participatory nature of the event will make it quite challenging for remote attendance. We are planning a similar event later this summer in London. Unfortunatly, we will have to charge for that one.

      Alternatively, if you can find a host, we could try to arrange another workshop together.

      The mLearning project you describe sounds very interesting - perhaps you could invite the people involved to submit a design narrative to our collection, so that we can refer to it in our workshops? As for pyramid of peace - did you use mobile technology there? Would you be willing to share your experience?

      ___________________________
       Yishay Mor, London Knowledge Lab
        http://www.lkl.ac.uk/people/mor.html

      Hi Yishay

      To get some idea of role played by phones in Pyramid of Peace please see brief introduction at phone4peace http://phone4peace. blogspot. com/

      You can read full story of PoP - Pyramid of Peace here http://www.pyramido fpeace.net/

      Sometime if we're talking I'll show you who Ken is on the PoP video - http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=5vGTiRlR5Ak

      Pamela

        http://www.yishaymor.org

      On 4 May 2010 20:52, Kennedy Owino <nafsiafricaacro@...> wrote:
      Dear Pam,

      This sounds really great,
      Pam, thanks for availing such opportunities .

      Mobile phones are increasingly playing a key role in learning and development.
      I have seen how m-learning and e-learning are significantly employed here.
      I would really want to attend this workshop.
      An mlearning project has just been introduced to foreingner students in the language school i am attending here in Denmark.
      The focuss is on user-generated content and open knowledge exchange educational resources.
      Using the IPhones we research, store,create, share, discuss and edit information, we also receive and deliver assingments via the phone.
      The project has so far resulted to impressive, improved and positive results.
      The potential of mlearning is perhaps greatest in Africa, where the mobile phone rather than the desktop computer is the dominant technology.
      This was proved by our past endeavours as Pyramid of Peace .

      It is quite unfortunately, that i will miss this, however i hope those who will participate will learn more approaches to addressing social challenges using mphones.
      I have further c.c'd James (see email above), Nafsi members and more who may probably have the interest to benefit from this.
      I would be glad to participate virtually if there would be a video bridge provision.
      I hope we would be able to set days for chatting more on this related topic in the M.S.L Forum.

      Thank you Yishay for sacrificing time to stop by in Nairobi and freely offer this workshop that would help support Kenyan mobile learners in their own socio-cultural contexts.

      Peace,

      Ken Owino

      Nafsi Africa Acrobats

      www.nafsiafrica.org

      P.S; Please also note Yishay's request for advice on cheap, decent accommodation in Nairobi. Any suggestions?